Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PIP or knockdown roof rack
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

I’ve got a lead on a good used PIP roof rack, it’s complete but obviously will need to be fully restored. I was wondering what the consensus is, do I get that one knowing I gotta do work to it or get the roof rack from WW. Does anyone have good pictures of either one they can share?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

In my opinion, any rack that does not bolt-together like an Empi is okay. Those things SCREAM cheap. Many folks won't even remember the PIP racks- so restored, I think it will come out looking good. OG racks are not rare though. My luck is, that if I put something like that on my car, an original or better one will come along later.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

I would go with the PIP if it’s a pretty good deal. I had one back in the 90’s and was very happy with it. And I actually used it to haul camping gear and ferry stuff between home and college.

IMO, they are worth restoring.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

What is a PIP rack? Photograph?

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
What is a PIP rack? Photograph?

Bug On!

Parts Is Parts was a company a long time ago.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

Just one shot from a few in the gallery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They had a couple styles- but they sold a lot of those pictured. Probably the first VW accessory company based in SLC.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

As the others said, PIP produced (I think) the first and best reproduction wood slat roof rack that closely resembles an original German wood slat rack. They even had a load decal on the driver side slat.

They originally came out around 1995 priced at $299.99.

Compared side by side, the PIP differs from the originals most significantly in weight and thickness of metal (PIP racks are thinner steel, and much lighter), the wood slats are the wrong type of wood, and the wood is thinner, and there is no stamping on the leading edge of the rack. They were finished in a dull gray zinc protective coating, and the slats were finished in a reddish stain.

This comparison is not a criticism. I was able to load that rack up and it performed well.

I have read threads on this site where an old PIP rack was mistaken for an OG one. My guess is that a PIP rack in good condition might not be a lot less expensive than an original.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

They had a couple styles- but they sold a lot of those pictured. Probably the first VW accessory company based in SLC.

Nice rack, all three of them.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

I was wrong, after doing some research, I've come to find out the rack is for the new beetle. It clamps in all 4 corners and doesn't look anything like the picture posted. Kinda bummed but now I'm leaning towards getting the WW one. Does anyone have close up pictures of that one? or is it similar to all the other cheap knockdown ones available.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

Not to type without candor- but have you visited wolfsburgwest.com yet?
And are you aware they are literally right down the street from you? Nobody has such luck.

FU#5
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
And are you aware they are literally right down the street from you? Nobody has such luck.

Yes, I’m well aware of where they’re at. It’s less than a 10 minute drive for me. Problem is I work Monday through Friday so it’s hard for me to swing by. I actually won an Instagram contest they had a few weeks back and won a $150 gift certificate so I was gonna use that towards the price of the rack.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
hitest wrote:

Nice rack, all three of them.

Bug On!

At first your post made no sense and then I realized there’s a CAR in that picture!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
hitest wrote:

Yes, I’m well aware of where they’re at. It’s less than a 10 minute drive for me. Problem is I work Monday through Friday so it’s hard for me to swing by. I actually won an Instagram contest they had a few weeks back and won a $150 gift certificate so I was gonna use that towards the price of the rack.

Their website shows a clear picture and in detail describes the rack they sell- that's the main reason I asked. You'll have no trouble spending the GC on practical stuff you'll need at WW. Budget the same $150 in cash toward buying a real rack at The Classic, Prado- or one of the many other shows within minutes of your place. I have to drive about 36 hours each time I'm at a show down there. Wink

FU#5
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
vdubmyk wrote:
hitest wrote:

Their website shows a clear picture and in detail describes the rack they sell- that's the main reason I asked. You'll have no trouble spending the GC on practical stuff you'll need at WW. Budget the same $150 in cash toward buying a real rack at The Classic, Prado- or one of the many other shows within minutes of your place. I have to drive about 36 hours each time I'm at a show down there. Wink

I think you're right. I'd be much happier with a better built one. Thanks for the advice.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PIP or knockdown roof rack Reply with quote

You're on the tail end of a lot of options. In '62 literature VW still pictured wood slat racks along with the all steel model. I'd bet some dealers still had slat racks around. A buddy's '65 came new with a dealer-original be-ko-wa rack. In sum, you've got several authentic options for your year.

There are lots of rack threads in the accessory forums if you want to see more. I'm a rack junkie- have 'em on all my VWs- and spares as barn art. Smile

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: