Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a 1970 bus. I was looking through Bentley and have some questions on the shift rod.
1.) In the image, circled what look like a small clip of some sort on the Bentley page, it's not described as anything, maybe it's nothing, but I'm not taking any chances. What is it?
2.) My shift rod bushings, the shuttlecock looking things, is one of them supposed to have a metal ring inside the flared out end? Is it the rear one?
3.) I saw something that said there was an update where they put an additional bushing in the middle? Should I do order another shuttlecock thing and do that too? Thanks guys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi Zonkey,

1 and 2 are the same. Very Happy It's sort of a tensioning ring for the shuttlecock-looking bushings. See number two here?

Lots of good reading here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583515

I have driven lots of beautifully-shifting buses with two shuttlecock bushings, and several terribly-shifting buses with three bushings. Swabbing out the old grease and freshening up with lots of new grease is your best bet, regardless of whether or not you drill a hole and install a new bushing. Some people say the new bushings don't install well, and old should be preserved when possible. I've had luck doing both.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie, that was a good read, but also raised more questions in my empty head Sad ...

that pic you posted above me, in the reading it says #2 is actually the front, the one with the metal ring inside. I'm going to assume that's correct and also that the rear bushing gets NO RING. Safe to assume? Rolling Eyes

Now, I ordered this kit from Jbugs:

https://www.jbugs.com/product/211798200.html

Any thoughts on this kit? Quality? Should I get it somewhere else? What worries me (and I'll have to check when I get home) is both my shuttle cocks look very similiar and in the pic above they have different part numbers? I'd like to get it correct the first time without having to doing all the work again.

Different question, the metal "nub" with the spring on the ball on the end of the shifter ... mine looks a little worn, is it replaceable. It's not a big deal I can replace it later if it's not without dropping engine and tranny, just wondering. Cool

Also, what does everyone use to clean out the tube the rod goes in?
For lube I read silicon based grease gets the nod here because it is easier on plastic parts, sounds reasonable? Thanks for the patrience and help, I want to get this correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have used the JBugs kit with good success. Bummer is it comes with bushings for every Volkswagen, so you pay extra to get parts you don’t need. I have told them about this before.......

The spring-loaded pin in the shifter ball is easily treated with the engine and transaxle installed. Unfortunately, unless you have master fabrication skills, obtaining a good used shifter with less wear will be the best option, unless someone started reproducing them in the last few years. Since it only “works” on its sides, rotating the pin 90* with good pliers will get you GREAT bang for your buck until you find a better pin.

I like Super Lube on those bushings since Ray Greenwood mentioned it a few years ago. I used red general purpose grease on muni bushings six years ago before I knew of anything else to use and it still shifts easily.

For the tube cleanout, get a rag and cut it into a strip. Tie the center of a thin rope around the center of the rag strip, and make sure the rope has a good ten feet on each end. Have a partner use a shop vac to suck one end of the string down the shift tube from the other side. Then coat the rag in your cleaning chemical of choice and “floss” the tube with your partner, getting the rag all the way through in both directions. Replace the rag when it’s filty, and tie a new one on. It may take three or four rags before one comes out clean enough to consider installing the shift rod. Front rubber bellows first, then the bushings go on the rod AFTER the rear bellows is on the rod.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie! I'll do just that with the shift "nub" thing, great idea. I can't picture it yet with the bellows and bushings but I'm sure it becomes apparent after I screw it up the first time. I ordered that lube you suggested, aint cheap but nothing is with these busses. Working on this bus is slow going but I feel like I'm making progress and it's not as intimidating as I first thought, especially with all the great help and advice here, thanks everyone! Cool
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my engine and after having everything powder coated and the throttle body rebuilt (thanks whip!), I'm looking at my EGR linkage and the throttle valve return spring and I'd like to get them refurbished or something.

I'm pretty sure no one makes a new EGR linkage so I haven't bothered searching for a new one but what about a new return spring, does anyone make that?

I thought about having them re-plated, does anyone having any places they use? Any members here on thesamba that do it?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I'm finishing up my engine and after having everything powder coated and the throttle body rebuilt (thanks whip!), I'm looking at my EGR linkage and the throttle valve return spring and I'd like to get them refurbished or something.

I'm pretty sure no one makes a new EGR linkage so I haven't bothered searching for a new one but what about a new return spring, does anyone make that?

I thought about having them re-plated, does anyone having any places they use? Any members here on thesamba that do it?

Good reading here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658509

Maybe PM wcfvw69; he zinc plates distributor parts as part of his restoration process, so he could offer help or maybe a paid service if you don't want to buy all the equipment/chemicals for a one-time job. Just know that Every EGR linkage part has to be separated from the assembly.

I have to ask… Are your EGR valve and diaphragm both in perfect condition? It's very rare to find an EGR valve/diaphragm that are both in good shape; most seem to have between a pin-hole vacuum leak and a large rip in the diaphragm. I saw one bus where there was no EGR filter, and tons of carbon deposits preventing the valve from closing.

Good luck,
Robbie
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

the shuttlecocks don't have a particularly arduous job, they mainly just keep the shift rod from banging around in the tube and making a racket. So long as they are well lubed they don't tend to give problems. With everything installed, you can park your van on a hill and squirt motor oil into the front of the tube and let the excess run out the back. This will loosen up any old crappy grease a bit.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Good reading here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658509

Maybe PM wcfvw69; he zinc plates distributor parts as part of his restoration process, so he could offer help or maybe a paid service if you don't want to buy all the equipment/chemicals for a one-time job. Just know that Every EGR linkage part has to be separated from the assembly.

I have to ask… Are your EGR valve and diaphragm both in perfect condition? It's very rare to find an EGR valve/diaphragm that are both in good shape; most seem to have between a pin-hole vacuum leak and a large rip in the diaphragm. I saw one bus where there was no EGR filter, and tons of carbon deposits preventing the valve from closing.

Good luck,
Robbie

It appears that mine is no good. I took it apart and the diaphragm is all ripped up. So what are the consequences of blocking it off? Will I still be able to pass smog? Has anyone had success in rebuilding them?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane, this is encroaching into another thread, as the EGR rebuild is neither a stupid question, nor easily answered. An engineer friend of mine is working on new diaphragms and rebuilding valve bodies, as much as they can be with used parts... Expect more detail in February/march when we get his bus past the emissions test. Basically everything that was present on the dealership showroom floor needs to be there for a California emissions test. Do not take any long drives without blocking off the hole at the plenum, as the vacuum leak will push into dangerously lean territory.

When is your smog test due? That will determine your course of action.
Robbie
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
ivwshane, this is encroaching into another thread, as the EGR rebuild is neither a stupid question, nor easily answered. An engineer friend of mine is working on new diaphragms and rebuilding valve bodies, as much as they can be with used parts... Expect more detail in February/march when we get his bus past the emissions test. Basically everything that was present on the dealership showroom floor needs to be there for a California emissions test. Do not take any long drives without blocking off the hole at the plenum, as the vacuum leak will push into dangerously lean territory.

When is your smog test due? That will determine your course of action.
Robbie

My bus is currently non op but my hope its to get it ready for camping season (April/may). The last time I had a smog test I did pass with no problems (I rebuilt half of the exhaust system including a carb compliant CAT, several years ago). My engine runs great but I dropped it to take care of some leaks and while it was out I decided to fix/refurbish everything, engine and trans related. So...it should run better than before as all the seals have been replaced, the throttle body refurbished, new wiring harness, soon to be new fuel lines, new clutch, and a new/rebuilt trans.

I have all the correct EGR components so if you've got something to rebuild the EGR valve, I should be good to go. I can't wait to see what you got:D
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can I connect a tach to the coil's (plus/connection 15) to get the 12 volts needed to run the tach, and the other side to the coils (minus/connection 1)?
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Kabasue wrote:
Can I connect a tach to the coil's (plus/connection 15) to get the 12 volts needed to run the tach, and the other side to the coils (minus/connection 1)?

Do you mean you're adding a tach gauge in the engine compartment? Or you have a portable tach meter (dwell meter too?) that needs 12v to run?

Some meters need 12v+ to power themselves, some only require the #1 (-) terminal and ground. Depends on your meter; what are you trying to hook up?

Robbie
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

My bus is currently non op but my hope its to get it ready for camping season (April/may). The last time I had a smog test I did pass with no problems (I rebuilt half of the exhaust system including a carb compliant CAT, several years ago). My engine runs great but I dropped it to take care of some leaks and while it was out I decided to fix/refurbish everything, engine and trans related. So...it should run better than before as all the seals have been replaced, the throttle body refurbished, new wiring harness, soon to be new fuel lines, new clutch, and a new/rebuilt trans.

I have all the correct EGR components so if you've got something to rebuild the EGR valve, I should be good to go. I can't wait to see what you got:D

Chances are your EGR diaphragm was ruptured when you took SMOG last time. Your options are a little limited here. It might be worth blocking the valve off and going for a pre-test to see what your numbers are. You might just pass. If not then there should be provision for an exception to SMOG equipment which isn't available any more. In theory. I'm waiting to hear from someone who's tested that theory!

EDIT: Maybe email your state senator too. I did when I was trying to pass smog and their office were surprisingly helpful.
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Kabasue wrote:

Do you mean you're adding a tach gauge in the engine compartment? Or you have a portable tach meter (dwell meter too?) that needs 12v to run?

Some meters need 12v+ to power themselves, some only require the #1 (-) terminal and ground. Depends on your meter; what are you trying to hook up?

Robbie

Just a standard tach gauge in the engine compartment so I can work on the timeing. I have a cheap spare, but when I hook it up nothing happens. I be broken or I could be doing it wrong.
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You don't need a tach to set the timing. Just hook your timing light up and rev the engine. Once the timing mark stops advancing you are at maximum advance. This should occur at around 3500 rpm, but the exact rpm is not important.
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Undercoating. How do most people deal with rust underneath without a full on resto? It's busy under there with lots of nooks and crannys. I've read about rust converters and acids and epoxys and sand blasters and wire wheels till my eyes bleed and still can't make a decision. I'm thinking:

Pressure wash (to remove dirt) -> Degrease to remove grease (with what i don't know, oven cleaner?) -> Pressure wash again to remove degreaser -> Rust-oleum Rust Reformer

Also, there still is this (original?) coating. Should I remove that or paint right over that?

I just need some simple guidance, some straight forward technique, I'm not looking for a full blown resto, just want to make a servicable reliable vehicle. Thanks!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If it were me....

I would PW then degrease then PW as needed. Any visible rust either sand or wire brush away as best as possible. Put converter or rustoleum on, what ever floats your boat.

I say it nonchalant because you will never get it all and if you do something that lasts 5 seconds then its 5 seconds better than it was.

After its all clean coat it with wax or spray can rubber undercoat.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks notchboy, I think that's what I'm going to do. It's hard to get everything covered I guess you do the best you can.

New question, I got my gas tank out last night and it looks really good. When I goto put it back in, what is that sticky felt stuff that is on the bottom of the tank?

Also, does anyone know if the OHMs are correct for this fuel sender in these positions, Bentley doesn't mention ohm readings....

Sender high, full tank of gas ~6.8 OHMS .....

Sender low, empty tank ~81.3 OHMS ....

Thanks! Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="Zonkey"] When I goto put it back in, what is that sticky felt stuff that is on the bottom of the tank?/quote]

You mean sticky stuff inside the tank or outside the tank?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 390 of 515

Jump to: