Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

but someone made into a Baja ... it came without a battery or engine. The guy I bought it from was going to put it back to original but after a couple years decided he wasn't going to get to it and sold it to me, by his own admission he doesn't know much about whats been done to it.

Several things look 12V but I'm not sure ... I can't see on the starter if it says 12v or not but It has halogen headlights, the bell housing on the trans-axle looks (to me) to have been "trimmed" for the larger flywheel.

Is there any definitive way to tell if its been converted to 12 or if its still 6v?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Check the components in the car. Remove a turn signal or headlight bulb and see if they say 12V. (you can get 6V Halogen headlights these days but they are not common) Look on the flasher relay and see if it says 12V. Stuff like that. The solenoid on the 12V starter in my 6V Baja has been replaced, so it's not all grungy, so it's pretty easy to read the 12V stamp on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, measure the diameter of the starter gear - these are both 6V but the 66 Ghia switched to the larger diameter flywheel several months ahead of the Beetles: (larger diameter flywheel gear meant the starter gear got smaller in diameter)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

If you're going to keep it a baja, I'd just make sure everything is 12v. Easier to get parts off the shelf at your local FLAPS or add on things like off-road lights etc.

I'd only consider making/keeping it 6v if you are going to restore the car to original state. Although definitely not impossible to do from a baja, it's just not easy or cheap.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

the starter if six volts can run on 12, but it will spin fast. if there is no voltage or partnumber (highly unlikely) you can test it with 12 volts, or six volts. if it is a 12 volt unit, it will be slow if tested with six volts. the solenoid may not work if it is a 12 volt unit, tested with six.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Is there an engine installed? You can read the voltage stamped on the generator.

Check any light bulbs. Google the bulb numbers and see if they are 6V or 12V.

Check any relays in the "back" of the dash. They will usually be inked or embossed with the voltage, or at least a part number you can also google to find out.

Is there a battery in it? Does it have three water caps or six?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Phil, he said it came without battery or engine in the first sentence of this thread.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Unless you’re restoring it, just go 12v. Less hassle, more reliable, easier to get parts.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, I looked at the starter but couldn't really see anything ... I suspected it was 12 but didn't realize there were 6v halogen lights ... Most the other lights are mounted to the front & rear cages, I'll look at the relays, flasher ...

Maybe the windshield wiper motor?

Would there be any obvious differences on the voltage regulator? Or will it run 12v

It's going to remain a Baja ... That way I can check it off my bucket list!

I converted a 64 or 66 to 12 probably 30-35 years ago when I was a just out of high school, I remember I changed all the bulbs and put a 3v resistor on the wiper motor (it burned up eventually anyway, but it sure kept the windshield clear!) and it seems like I replaced the generator too ... but I never got my Baja built, it's a project I've started 3 times but have yet been able to get it finished.

I may have found another clue on the thread "Moving the voltage regulator to under rear seat" ... Mine is under the rear seat too!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645521
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I know my 63 Ragtop should be 6v but ... Reply with quote

Starter is only a couple of bolts. Take it off and look at it. The only real downside of running a 6v starter on 12v is that you’ll have to have a 6v flywheel. But starters are cheap so if it’s a 6v just get a 12v.

Same with the bulbs. They should all be marked.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: