Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled Research cam specs?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specs on the stage 1 & 2 cams that Mathew at Aircooled Research sells? I’ve tried reaching him quite a few times with no response, but did purchase some valve springs recently and received them no problem. I need the specs to figure out what route to go with my 36hp.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

Interesting question, I have asked the same but did not get any response... so if someone has the news, I would be interested as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

This is the information I've seen:

"The camshaft is from Mr. Motorhead and is his #2 which I degreed at 0”, .010”, .020”, .040” and .050” to get figures to compare to any other 36 cam. This cam is closest to the early Porsche Super cam. (Intake Opening) 17 degree, (Intake Closing) 45 degree, (Exhaust Opening) 49 degree, (Exhaust Closing) 7 degree = 242 degree duration intake. 236 degree duration exhaust and all at .040” or 1 mm. Valve lift is 325 intake valve and 302”exhaust."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6131340&highlight=duration#6131340

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:

"The camshaft is from Mr. Motorhead and is his #2 which I degreed at 0”, .010”, .020”, .040” and .050” to get figures to compare to any other 36 cam. This cam is closest to the early Porsche Super cam. (Intake Opening) 17 degree, (Intake Closing) 45 degree, (Exhaust Opening) 49 degree, (Exhaust Closing) 7 degree = 242 degree duration intake. 236 degree duration exhaust and all at .040” or 1 mm. Valve lift is 325 intake valve and 302”exhaust."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6131340&highlight=duration#6131340

Cheers,

Paul

Awesome, thanks, Paul! I think I’ve read that thread before, I wonder how the smaller exhaust lift would work on a stock 36?
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

If you're running a stock 36hp, my understanding is that the cam is the last thing you'll want to upgrade. A hotter cam will create more hp, but at the cost moving the power band up. You can get a little extra umph by adding TDE tail pipes and ratio rockers, but there's not substitute for displacement.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
If you're running a stock 36hp, my understanding is that the cam is the last thing you'll want to upgrade. A hotter cam will create more hp, but at the cost moving the power band up. You can get a little extra umph by adding TDE tail pipes and ratio rockers, but there's not substitute for displacement.

Cheers,

Paul

I just want it to have a little more torque, and a piston upgrade would be expensive because I refuse to run AA’s. I’ve been trying to get a hold of Mathew because he apparently got 37hp at the wheels with minor mods.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

I just want it to have a little more torque, and a piston upgrade would be expensive because I refuse to run AA’s. I’ve been trying to get a hold of Mathew because he apparently got 37hp at the wheels with minor mods.

69 or 74 crank with 80 pistons. get over your negative obsession with Chinese pistons!

don't bother with a stage 1 or 2 cam with stock displacement and otherwise stock heads...
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
jays58s wrote:
gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

69 or 74 crank with 80 pistons. get over your negative obsession with Chinese pistons!

don't bother with a stage 1 or 2 cam with stock displacement and otherwise stock heads...

Ok, Dad.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled Research cam specs? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

Also, if those are the cam specs, it's not a huge jump over stock. Stock is .290 lift intake/exhaust, and 223 degrees duration @.050".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: