Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My engine combo
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgbugman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: My engine combo Reply with quote

So I'm looking at building another motor with some of the stuff I have.
I have:
110 cam and lifters
40 idfs with 30 or 32 vents, I would have to measure
90.5 a piston
78 crank
Stock case opened for 90.5
I am looking at building up a 2007 using this stuff.

Thinking about:
78. Crank
110 cam
90.5 b piston
5.5 rods??? Not sure about this length
Panchito heads, matched castings
1.25 rockers
40 idfs
1 1/2 exhaust
Kep stage 1 pressure plate

Really looking for good pep, occasional track, reliable motor. I've read so much on this combo and like what I've seen. What are your thoughts?
78 vert for my wife
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

Need bigger carbs.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

I'm running a 2007cc. Pulls like a tractor from low revs to 4500. Not revving it to the moon, my bug is not a racecar.

I have a Scat C25 cam and use 137mm (5,4") I-beam rods.
Running 40mm Hpmx with 32mm vents.
044 heads with a 3 angle valve job, because the valve seats where %¤"#&"&¤ from CB.
Everything balanced and put i a new alu case.
Had to deck the block 0,8mm to get the squish where I wanted it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

I would be looking at a different camshaft. Check out the engine building threads above as well as on CBs site since you are using their heads and it will give you an idea of what similar size engines can do based on configuration.

You have to take into account what car the engine is going in and what your tranny ratios are as well as rear tire size and what rpms you want the engine to turn as well for what type of driving.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

Yes the W110 is a little tiresome. On the other hand, with the parts he has available it can work ok. Just check it for accuracy (Very important IMHO. Some of the newer ones are downright awfull) Next, if ok, set it up on 106 ILC.

Rods. - What suits you. Personally I like relatively low RR so I would choose 5,4´s and machine the cylinders to correct deck.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bgbugman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

You guys don't like the 110? I thought it was a good cam, it can sit on my shelf for a while longer. Is scat c35 is better?
This is going to go in my 72 super with stock trans with 205 70 15s
I was thinking 5.5 rods so I didn't have to shim cylinders but want sure on that. 5.4 a better choice?
Carbs have the 32 vents. Thought I could always add 44s at a later time of I wanted.
I am mostly looking for a decent power motor that I can have fun at the local track from time to time, maybe times a year. This is my summer time car.
78 vert for my wife
BarnFine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

This is a great discussion on rod length and gives you the information to make an informed decision and understand how it will work with the cam, heads, and carbs. I don't personally think you will be wrong with either choice but it will have some effect on the engine, and every bit counts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7593428
bgbugman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

Barnfine my brain hurts after reading all that!
78 vert for my wife
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

You will definitely want "B" pistons with a 78mm crank or you will need huge shims and end up with a lot of fitment issues with the wider engine.

I mocked up my 76mm crank with "B" pistons and 5.5 rods. Got around .03 deck or so. Didn't have the cylinders locked down, just wanted to get an estimate.

There is a super handy deck height estimate chart floating around on here. It will put you in the ballpark for crank/rod/pin heights
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

bgbugman72 wrote:
You guys don't like the 110? I thought it was a good cam, it can sit on my shelf for a while longer. Is scat c35 is better?
This is going to go in my 72 super with stock trans with 205 70 15s
I was thinking 5.5 rods so I didn't have to shim cylinders but want sure on that. 5.4 a better choice?
Carbs have the 32 vents. Thought I could always add 44s at a later time of I wanted.
I am mostly looking for a decent power motor that I can have fun at the local track from time to time, maybe times a year. This is my summer time car.

Don´t get me wrong. The W110 is an ok cam as long as it is reasonably accurate. One of the reasons to why it has become so poplular is that it is advanced a lot in its grind. That means that it is relatively easy to get to run fairly decent because it helps make ok good intake vacum. It aqlso means that the mid to upper end performance is being stifled a little unless the heads are very very good, because the time area is wrong in relation to the rpm. Another downside (IMHO) is that it needs rather much spring pressure for the engine to actually use the power from it if the heads are good. If you run a simple no frills set up you can normally juuust get by with say Scat HD sgl´s or equal shimmed to 1,460"
The C35 is a weird cam. In some set ups it works ok as is. in most cases its a little sub par to say the W110. But, install 1,25 rockers on it and it really wakes up. Much more than doing the same to the W110. - At least that´s what I have noticed in general.
I have built a couple of 2110 bus engines out of customer supplied parts in the past. The first was´nt worth writing home about. With the second I really did my homework with dialing in the cam to be spot on what I wanted along with making the induction about as good as I could within reason. That engine performed well with good lower to midrange pulling power and a fair upper end with just over 130 hp and just shy of 200 Nm peak torque.
For comparison I have built some 2160 bus engines that pull the same numbers at lower rpms with 11 degrees less cam duration @ 0,050"

But since you have the w110, use it Wink

With rod length. The easiest for you is almost certainly to choose 5,5" Then there is a good chance that you do not need to machine anything in order to assemble with a nice and tight deck height.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

For that displacement, I would go with a different cam. The 110 cam will make torque but die off quickly, and it is rough on the valvetrain. If you're looking to make a decent street motor with good power use the W120 cam. 9:1 compression. You won't be disappointed...you will be with the 110 cam
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

You would see alot more gains going to 44s then going with the w120 with the 40s. Better yet the w120 and 44s.
bgbugman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, have a lot to think about. I'm also thinking about a 2110 instead. Seems to be what most people are building up. There is a lot more info on that motor than the odd 2007cc.
78 vert for my wife
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My engine combo Reply with quote

That's because they dont call it a 2007 but just a 2 liter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: