Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best place to buy a new deck lid formy 59.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoodlam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Best place to buy a new deck lid formy 59. Reply with quote

Hello, been lurking around here for 20+ years. Been out of the VW scene for a while but I am restoring my '59. I am wondering the best company to contact about a new deck lid for my '59.

Thank you.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place to buy a new deck lid formy 59. Reply with quote

hoodlam wrote:
Hello, been lurking around here for 20+ years. Been out of the VW scene for a while but I am restoring my '59. I am wondering the best company to contact about a new deck lid for my '59.

Thank you.

Welcome!

The best deck lids are originals, the classified section of samba has many for sale. for you with a 59 Bug, I think 58 thru about 66 or so will fit, but you may need to fill license light holes on the later ones, as the light got bigger around 1965. there is also the tee handle latch and push button latch, I think the tee handle was thru 64, the 67 is a completely different shape. more knowledgeable folks can assist as to what years are a match for you, but it will be several years that match fine

the below searches are for deck lid and engine lid....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Again a big samba welcome!

Bug On! Purple Bug Blue Bug Purple Bug Yellow 181 Orange Bug Red Bug Green Bug Green Bug Orange Bug Yellow 181 Green Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place to buy a new deck lid formy 59. Reply with quote

For the right look- hunt for '58-'63. There's more to altering a later one than just the t-handle hole.

Originals are plentiful. VW ran more of this model series of decklid than any other. Look at the hinges and of course, lip rust. I bought one a couple years ago for $25.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place to buy a new deck lid formy 59. Reply with quote

In addition to the good,points hitest mentioned, check for tears around the spring mechanism. the deck lid do get metal fatigue around the spring, and they tear, they can be repaired, and repair is not too bad if you weld. many do get torn here.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: