Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

Vanagon if you want a bit more comfort at the cost of anonymity
Bus if you want style and think packing relatively light is not a big deal (Hint: it's not)
Eurovan if you want some of the Vanagon's fun with the personality of a Kenmore appliance

SGKent is right, like he said we're all decently competent at repairing these things and came here with little to no skills. 5 years ago I didn't know shit about these things but now I'm capable of sharing advice about them.

$15K should get you in the door on a decent bus. One with recent rebuild history will cost more.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

Why hasn't anyone posted this yet?

Link

Honestly, I'd say stay clear. Either Bay or Vanagon is a HUGE financial investment that WILL consume every weekend and extra cash you have. You will break down, you will need AA and you will need a stash of tools/parts/patience at all times. You will need to be your own mechanic and you will need to be able to talk to strangers at every gas station and hear how they had one in college that broke down and they walked 15 miles uphill to the nearest gas station. Rolling Eyes

It's square so they're horrifying to drive on the highway so you'll need to stick to back roads too. They're slow and unreliable and the newest one came out 40 years ago. If you do decide to get one, let the AC and creature comfort pipe dream go. Bay or Vanagon with an AC hooked up robs the engine of what little extra power it has to spare. Ask yourself if you really want to be broken down on the side of the road with a 1 and 3 year old screaming in August heat. Maybe a Honda Odyssey and tow behind trailer is a better option right now.

79's have a bunch of one year only Fuel Injection parts too. I'd look into the 73-75 range with Dual Carbs if you do decide to go down this very dark and deep rabbit hole.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RVAGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

informative video; thanks! Wink
RVAGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

UPDATE!
With your guidance, I began reviewing (via RoadHaus) and calling mechanics and found Keith of Valley Westys. I drove 2 hours to meet Keith, get VW 101, and drive some vans. After several phone and email conversations over for sale links, talking about the community, an unadvertised Vanagon through his network became available.

As of yesterday's drive to NC, I am now the proud owner of a 1989 Vanagon Westy, white, automatic transmission, rebuilt 2.1L by Valley Westys. I was grinning ear to ear the entire 3.5 hour trip home from NC. It was cruising beautifully until at 60mph and 45min from home, a loud grinding came from under the passenger seat, my friend driving behind said no parts were flying out, gauges remained stable. So any ideas?

Despite this, and my trip to DMV today, I'm still a proud owner and it was super cool to see the toddler so excited about this. I hope to save some money (ha!) and move towards a conversion in the future.

Thank you all!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

You ran over some #Vanlife'ers hopes and dreams? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

Jack it up and rotate the passenger side wheel. Possibly a wheel bearing going bad or rust on the backing plate rubbing.
Glad you got the Vanagon. I had an 87 loved it.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

RVAGreen wrote:
It was cruising beautifully until at 60mph and 45min from home, a loud grinding came from under the passenger seat,

thewalrus tried to warn you! Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You ran over some #Vanlife'ers hopes and dreams? Laughing

Laughing Applause

I vote that post of the year

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

Just keep grinning and don't let it get you down. Noises can be anything from a piece of wire on the highway that got wrapped around something to a missing belt but you won't know what it is until you find out the battery is no longer charging, or something is shaking because a bolt fell out. I know that on rabbits of that age the alternator bolt used to shake loose and fall out.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You ran over some #Vanlife'ers hopes and dreams? :lol:

I'm commuting home on the train in the quiet car and busted out laughing at that. Got some serious stink eye from other commuters.

Congrats to the OP on starting the journey. Seriously, I drive the bus on 95 quite often, and rolling at 60, 65 in the slow lane is ok, as there usually is no one in front of you going slower. The real issue is that traveling interstates at 60 or so is just boring. When there is traffic and you are doing 45 it is just tedious.
WhIle the boys were in a fife and drum corps, we went to performances and parades up and down the eastern seaboard, Topsail Island SC, Yorktown Va, Lexington MA, Brattleboro Vt, and many trips to Cape Cod. I spent some time prepping for the drives, and the total on road issues were a broken wire to the fuel pump, a fan belt that broke, and the epic Little Miss Sunshine ride home with no clutch as I had no spare cable. It's all fun, as long as everyone keeps their sense of humor.
RVAGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Jack it up and rotate the passenger side wheel. Possibly a wheel bearing going bad or rust on the backing plate rubbing.

Yup. wheel bearing and shredded spindle. finally back in action.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

RVAGreen wrote:
crownline wrote:

Yup. wheel bearing and shredded spindle. finally back in action.

Good to hear. You sure there was no #juice under there? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1978/1979 Westfalia or 1986-1991 Vanagon Reply with quote

I’ve had many many fond memories in my bus and driven it cross country many times. I love how much I’ve learned and the reactions I get everywhere I go. It’s a perfect size for two people adventuring. That said if I was starting anew, knowing what I know now, I’d probably just get a small teardrop trailer or little airstream and tow it with a modern vehicle. A lot depends on how much time you have in your life for a big hobby. With two kids, I think time would be more precious and also room a little cramped in either vehicle imho.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: