Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 bug - seat belt retrofit
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

I have a 61 bug - I don't think it came with seat belts originally and I can't find any place where belts would be attached.

I want to install lap beats and need to know what is the best and cleanest way to do this.

I have the body off the chassis right now (welded in new pans) so I have full access.

Paul
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This thread may help....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593960
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

The original owner had lap belts added in the front to my '59 beetle- think holes drilled in floor pans, and big fender washers and bolts. 60 year old bolts, washers, and belts. I'll have to look at receipts to see if the dealer did it.

When i registered the car here in CT the DMV guy was kind enough to skip marking the car as equipped with seat belts after I pointed out they were not stock, not original equipment, and legally not required in 1959 should I desire to restore the car. It has antique plates on it, and is no where near a daily driver.

Given the nature of the beast, I'd be looking to weld in plates big enough to not rip through the pans should the seat belts be loaded up. Of course, that means you have some engineering ahead of you. If you go that far, I'd look to add lap/shoulder belts, as lap belts in a bug will not prevent you from crushing the steering wheel with your chest or stopping your passenger from a skull blow into the windshield. Lets not talk about the passenger's lawsuit when their lawyer finds its not OG equipment...and the car was not equipped from day one.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

Btw, my 58 had some lap belts installed at some point in its life also. When I restored the car, I went ahead and installed some original ones back in.
It wasnt the the best method of installing them back in the day, but its not like I use them anyway.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

That’s how I installed my outboard lap belt mounts. For the inboard, I welded to the chassis tube.

After welding in:

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

Has anyone ever put a 3 point seatbelt in a 61 or early model Bug? I have a 61 to restore but everyone is afraid to ride in a car without a 3 point seatbelt. I even have 1 person who wants to know if I can install airbags in it. Shocked
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Has anyone ever put a 3 point seatbelt in a 61 or early model Bug? I have a 61 to restore but everyone is afraid to ride in a car without a 3 point seatbelt. I even have 1 person who wants to know if I can install airbags in it. Shocked

opt for different, less obtrusive passengers. It'll be much easier and cheaper.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 bug - seat belt retrofit Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

Yes. John Henry did it in his oval and did a great write up on his dedicated web page- you can find it quickly online. It’s a bit complicated to get what you would want, but it is possible.

Or... tell your squeamish friends to go joyride in a Yaris.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: