Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L227 Stratos silver questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: L227 Stratos silver questions Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what date this color was first used on a car and what is the oldest known Stratos Silver oval currently around?

My birth certificate says is was built on January 22, 1954

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: L227 Stratos silver questions Reply with quote

First used on 1954 model year (1/1/54)...doubt finding the first one is possible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: L227 Stratos silver questions Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
First used on 1954 model year (1/1/54)...doubt finding the first one is possible

Hi TXoval. I know the books say 1-1-54 and I believe this was on a friday. What I am trying to find out if anyone knows when they actually started producing ovals in this color.

Did they start production in December so the new colors were ready for delivery on 1-1-54?
Did they actually start production on Friday January 1st?
Did they start on Monday Jan 4 with the new color range?
Or in the weekend, did they even work in the weekend?

i also expect the first car to no longer be around. I'm just wondering what the oldest (based on Vin number) stratos silver oval is, which is currently known.

Reason is I own a January 22, 1954 Stratos oval. Based on Thesamba tech section, there were 15.007 ovals built in January 54.
There were 6 colors, so assuming an even spread per color, there were 2.501 Stratos silver ovals built in January.
Assuming the same number of cars built per day, there were 81 cars built per day.
As my birth certificate says mine was built on Jan 22 so at the latest that would make mine the 1.775 Stratos silver oval ever built.

Now I know of one Stratos silver oval with an earlier vin number than mine. But I'm just wondering how many of those 1.775 ovals are still around and which is the oldest.

Important stuff, not really... but it's something I've been wondering about for some time and what better place to ask than here?

Have a great weekend!
Cheers, Chris
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: L227 Stratos silver questions Reply with quote

It's a good question, just not sure the answer exists at this point

Hopefully someone who knows the history better than me can chime. I'd imagine the first chassis stamped on 1-1-54 was the first 54...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: