Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Lights
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: LED Lights Reply with quote

I've been switching all of the bulbs in the EV over to LED. I did find a few that really made a difference for anyone getting older and is looking for some more light inside. On a Weekender, the light up front has two different bulbs in it. I switched them over to LED and they are much brighter and it just makes it easier to see (at least it does for me).

This is the light that goes on and off with the doors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LL72WHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the map light for the driver and the light on the sliding door footwell (fits the license plate lights and the 3rd brake light with a bit of drilling):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WGZP4PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing that helps is if you take the lenses on those lights and clean them too. The fronts you can pop off and clean them with a toothbrush and soapy water. As for the footwell, a Q-Tip. Even just cleaning the lenses makes a difference because of the dirt that accumulates.

The best test was when my wife noticed without me telling her anything. So, that's pretty much as scientific as I need because she pretty much doesn't notice things like that unless they just don;t work at all.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

I really love LEDs. Is the footwell the only location for a light triggered by a door switch in the rear of the vehicle? Mine is broken, and I need more light back there

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

That footwell light, is it for the rear. I'm working on something right now that when done, should pretty much fix the issue of the rear of the van being so dark plus look completely stock for a Weekender. Once the parts get in and I get it together and working, it should be pretty neat.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Great, I look forward to solution. I like my mods to look as if the factory thought of it first. I appreciate the two fluorescent lights, but I'd like for other lights to come on when I open the slider or hatch. On my Vanagon I added a defeat switch so that when I have the hatch open for long periods of time, I can bypass the switch and keep the lights from turning on. The nice thing about LEDs is that they draw so little amperage that it's not much of a problem to keep them on for long periods.

y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

On the subject of LED lights, I replaced the light over the table. The module that the original style light fits into, was missing. I think this was two 12v LED strips. I'm sure there are different ways to attach, but I cable tied the two strips to a piece of aluminum flat bar, then cable tied the flat bar to the back of the plastic housing. I haven't had any issues with it for a the 3 or so years its been in there except for a few LEDs going out on one strip. Still nice and bright.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've also wired a 12v LED from the sliding door footwell light to the top of the B pillar. It will turn on with the sliding door opening. I also have the same LED in the rear that lights when the hatch opens.

https://www.amazon.com/Convenience-Courtesy-Licens...3T2EHZ7QV7

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Great idea on rear cabin lighting triggered by open doors, I'd be interested to see what people come up with.

Regarding LED in the rear cabin, I did a dim-able version and have been VERY happy with the low power consumption and the ability to dim them is priceless. Here's a link to my dim-able version
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Great idea on the dim-able light. I think I remember seeing that post. Those bright LEDs I have are way to overpowering to turn on in the middle of the night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

I wonder if a mercury switch in the hatch could be used to trigger rear lighting. I have one from a Volvo hood light that might work for this function. I'd like to have lights in the hatch to shine down below when it's open, as well as some directly above the rear bed/cargo area

y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

I used one of these for the rear door light activation. I installed it near the latch. It's a bit to figure out the depth and location. I'm still tweaking mine and it's in its second hole after the first didn't work out. I may go to a toggle switch. It does work though.

Hank Montura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

I have a 1984 Westfalia with a light over the driver seat and one in the kitchen area. Can those be converted to LED's?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Google "Vanagon LED". You will find what you are looking for. If you know the specific bulb, another good reference is https://www.superbrightleds.com/
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:

I've also wired a 12v LED from the sliding door footwell light to the top of the B pillar. It will turn on with the sliding door opening. I also have the same LED in the rear that lights when the hatch opens.

Hi Josh,

I'd love to add lights that come on when the door opens like you have. Did you tie into the footwell light to trigger the convenience light? Any information on the wiring, etc would be great.

What did you end up with in the rear hatch? Did you switch it or did you connect to the same footwell trigger? I ended up running a spare wire to the rear from the main fusepanel area of the van when I added a backup camera, so I could also tap that into the door light circuit up front if there's a good place.

Just looking for ideas, and trying not to make a mess of things!

Thanks!
MJ
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

For the light atop of the B pillar, I just extended wiring from the footwell light. I brought the wiring up behind the B pillar trim.

For the hatch light, I used power from a 12v socket I installed near the jack. Ran wire under the black plastic trim at the rear of the van to a pressure switch that I posted above. The wiring for the light of course behind the pillar trim. Pay no attention to my bit of exposed wire. Normally the metal grounds to the body, but this is set into the plastic. Also, the head is dinged up from trial and error installation. I mentioned above that I was on my second hole. I replaced that plastic trim, so you don't see the original hole that was to the left of where it lays now. The latch housing on the hatch is what makes contact with the switch.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the early models, but my van has a hatch switch in the door lock mechanism. I tapped into this wire just above the rear light assembly, and used it with a two position switch in each light so that they can come on when any door is opened, or be manually operated.

y u rune klassik?
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Lights Reply with quote

Thanks guys that's great.

Zeitgeist, can you give me a little more detail on the wires you found for this? I was wondering about that myself. If I take off the housing around I'll see what I can find. Where did you end up putting the switch? I really appreciate it you guys!

MJ
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: