Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Does this mean i'm in the club now?

After craving a VW for the past 10 or so years because of the simplicity of the engine, the vibe the cars give, and the general awesomeness that is the classic VW community I finally caved and bought my first Beetle!

She is by no means perfect as there is some rust in key locations (Frame Head), and the engine as well as the interior need some love, but after tinkering a bit she starts turn of key.

I was pointed to the Samba to keep record of my trials and errors, and to use the ever expansive knowledge I have been seeing flow through here over the years. I'll be sure to add more photos soon!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a beauty!! Welcome. Does the sunroof work?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Yep. Means you're in. May find that "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" Oh... wait, that's an Eagles song. Seems they become addictive though.

The more pictures you post, the more involved these people get. This is an incredible resource.

Looking forward to the build! Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

The sunroof works like a dream other than it leaks a little during heavy rain. Me thinks someone sat on the top of it at one point because its a tad warped, nothing some elbow grease cant resolve. That was honestly one of the selling points when I went to see it, I mean common, who can ever pass up a sun roof???

Cool of you to drop by Buggeee, considering i've been reading through your build like a hawk over the last week or so! Its going to be a huge benefit for me to have so many avid eyes triple checking my work and whack my wrist when needed! Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Welcome Tizzy! Another great Bug!

Those sunroofs leak for two reasons.
1.) There are four drain tubes attached to the 4 corners of the sunroof assembly that are the drains for all water that gets by the exterior seal.

2.) Worn out seal. There are three pieces to this one.

I am currently working on a sunroof on a 77 Bug. First time I have fully removed one, and messed around with the sunroof on these cars. I have replaced a few cables in the past, but never had to deal with the seals or drains. I also found two of my drains were not draining quickly enough. I managed to clear it with a stiff segment of thick weed wacker line.

Good luck and ask away with the questions.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Heres a sunroof manual for the Super.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vwsunroof_h2o.php

The early watercooled sunroof is what you have in your 73 Super, they are different from the Standard roof. The Orange Bentley is helpful to a point but there are differences.

Jimbo is correct, they are designed to leak, but drain through the tubes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423779&highlight=sunroof
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Parts have been ordered! Just dropped a good bit with hopeful thoughts in my mind pointing to some 60 degree sunshine. Most of the stuff is for inside the cab, heater cables, seat rail bushings, and the like. So at least I can install those while hiding from the wind.

As with the "delightful" weather in Ohio currently crushing us, its making me slightly steamed that I can't work on my poor Beetle Mad . A garage is slipping further into the books as something I NEED to build though the girlfriend seems skeptical (Is it true what I hear about nice garages causing marital issues lol Laughing ).

Halfway done putting on new Gabriel shocks on the rear to quiet the suspension knock that pops up every time I drive down my moon crater road.

As a reach out, does anyone know what may cause high beams to not correctly function? For a while both of my headlights would work without issue other than turning off when the High Beam switch was pulled. BUT my turn signals were a no go. Then one day after a nice trickle charge the turn signals now function but my right headlight is now perma off (Left still turns off when high beam is engaged). Thinking maybe blown bulb/fuse? Possibly a bad ground? Been told countless stories of how these little things love nice clean ground connections.

Hope you lovelies are faring well in your States, fingers crossed that it warms up soon.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tizzy wrote:
...As a reach out, does anyone know what may cause high beams to not correctly function? For a while both of my headlights would work without issue other than turning off when the High Beam switch was pulled. BUT my turn signals were a no go. Then one day after a nice trickle charge the turn signals now function but my right headlight is now perma off (Left still turns off when high beam is engaged). Thinking maybe blown bulb/fuse? Possibly a bad ground? Been told countless stories of how these little things love nice clean ground connections...

This would be consistent with bad grounds and connections. I would definitely start there and be patient and really thorough.

Beyond that, if the lights have never worked right since you've owned it, it might also be worth checking that the headlight switch is wired correctly. It varies year to year and not all posts are used. Aircooled.net has good switch diagrams. In my case the prior owner had a couple in the wrong place and it did weird things like you describe.

Also, the turnsignal/horn contacts in the steering column are sensitive to the distance of a gap between the wheel and the column, which can be adjusted and the procedure is in the Bentley manual. That gap issue can do strange things with randomly sounding your horn as you turn, or randomly flicking the high beams on or off.

P.S. Enough with the Arctic blast already! Bring on the warm!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

I would say a nice garage is essential to a healthy relationship.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Tizzy wrote:
...As a reach out, does anyone know what may cause high beams to not correctly function? For a while both of my headlights would work without issue other than turning off when the High Beam switch was pulled. BUT my turn signals were a no go. Then one day after a nice trickle charge the turn signals now function but my right headlight is now perma off (Left still turns off when high beam is engaged). Thinking maybe blown bulb/fuse? Possibly a bad ground? Been told countless stories of how these little things love nice clean ground connections...

This would be consistent with bad grounds and connections. I would definitely start there and be patient and really thorough.

Beyond that, if the lights have never worked right since you've owned it, it might also be worth checking that the headlight switch is wired correctly. It varies year to year and not all posts are used. Aircooled.net has good switch diagrams. In my case the prior owner had a couple in the wrong place and it did weird things like you describe.

Also, the turnsignal/horn contacts in the steering column are sensitive to the distance of a gap between the wheel and the column, which can be adjusted and the procedure is in the Bentley manual. That gap issue can do strange things with randomly sounding your horn as you turn, or randomly flicking the high beams on or off.

Buggeee has it stated well, but the easiest thing to do, which works 75% of the time is twisting the fuses for the headlights. Oxidation is a mother!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Buggeee has it stated well, but the easiest thing to do, which works 75% of the time is twisting the fuses for the headlights. Oxidation is a mother!

Fuses and Grounds, sounds easy enough! Good thing I just bought a fistful of those ceramic jobbies. I still don't know why after looking at them the first time that they could be causing me heaps of problems Mad

Eww, that doesn't look like it been helping anything. I'll keep them around just in case, seems every time I pitch something I end up needing it later.

In with the new! Looks better, and I must say, she started up much faster than normal. Did the mandatory finger cross and turned the Headlights on, the high beams are functional!!! Except my 1 blown bulb (Good thing my Dad has some spares "Somewhere" in his garage). Turn signals, brakes, reverse is still disconnected lol, but the Hazards still don't work. Probably the Relay as it looks as old as the car!

Time to check and replace and ground connections that need it!

Like Sunroofs? Of course you do (73' Resto Thread) - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712980
Kinleyps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

I own a '73 Sunroof Super myself, definitely excited to follow this thread! It'll be interesting to see someone possibly bump into the same troubles I had ( and am having) along the way, but I hope not Wink I really dig the color, are you gonna keep it the same?

'73 Super Beetle
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tizzy wrote:
Does this mean i'm in the club now?

After craving a VW for the past 10 or so years because of the simplicity of the engine, the vibe the cars give, and the general awesomeness that is the classic VW community I finally caved and bought my first Beetle!

She is by no means perfect as there is some rust in key locations (Frame Head), and the engine as well as the interior need some love, but after tinkering a bit she starts turn of key.

I was pointed to the Samba to keep record of my trials and errors, and to use the ever expansive knowledge I have been seeing flow through here over the years. I'll be sure to add more photos soon!

Congrats! Make sure to repair the frame head. Don't want that getting worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Kinleyps wrote:
I own a '73 Sunroof Super myself, definitely excited to follow this thread! It'll be interesting to see someone possibly bump into the same troubles I had ( and am having) along the way, but I hope not Wink I really dig the color, are you gonna keep it the same?

Well hopefully we don't run into too many problems along the way to perfection! Laughing I plan on keeping it the same color but a fresh coat. A buddy of mine had an awesome idea to Graffiti either the Fenders or the Hood and Trunk lid. Think sticker slammed but paint.

TonyPgh wrote:

Luckily its just a small hole in the head itself, as for the rear underplate of the head itself, that may need cut off in time and replaced Sad . I'll end up posting more photos of that fun when the weather here gets nice enough to work in. Planning to take the body off at some point to hit all the trouble areas at once. Follow the old saying "Do it while its there" Smile

Like Sunroofs? Of course you do (73' Resto Thread) - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712980
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tizzy wrote:
Kinleyps wrote:

Well hopefully we don't run into too many problems along the way to perfection! Laughing I plan on keeping it the same color but a fresh coat. A buddy of mine had an awesome idea to Graffiti either the Fenders or the Hood and Trunk lid. Think sticker slammed but paint.

TonyPgh wrote:

Luckily its just a small hole in the head itself, as for the rear underplate of the head itself, that may need cut off in time and replaced Sad . I'll end up posting more photos of that fun when the weather here gets nice enough to work in. Planning to take the body off at some point to hit all the trouble areas at once. Follow the old saying "Do it while its there" Smile

Well take your time, it will all work out. I am in Pa, right next to ya. Our weather is starting to look up now. Just make sure your safe!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tizzy wrote:

Get that blue fuse outta there! There are no circuits in an air-cooled VW that take a blue (25A fuse).

Owner's manual shows them all to be white (8A) except for fuses 9 and 10, which should be red (16A).

Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Shocked Good Call! I'll fix that when I get home this afternoon and print that diagram for future reference! This layout is how all of those old junk fuses were placed so I "assumed" those were correct. Looks like i'll have to stop that lol

jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness !
Bugs are frustrating and enjoyable 4 wheel motorcycles ... LOL

As I don't have a Dremel tool, I got some rifle bore cleaning brushes at WallyWorld and chucked them in my drill. Works awesome to get all electrical contact points nice & shiny. Then used dialectric grease on every one. A tube is about 10 bucks but lasts a long time.

I pulled my tail lites & shined EVERY connection I could find, nicely coated with D-grease, & put A/C foil tape inside the reflector part of bulb housing. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Holy smokes ... They are about 40% brighter now & all it took was about 2 hours. Time well spent.

I looked at a '73 sunroof Super in the same color but it was sold out from under me 3 yrs ago. Is it wrong to miss it a little bit like I do?

Never assume anything the PO told you they did or don't have a receipt for. I made that mistake !

Looks like a nice find !

Enjoy the journey ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Never assume the previous owner did anything correctly. You’ll end up having to do it over, time and again.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 73' Sunroof Super Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Never assume the previous owner did anything correctly. You’ll end up having to do it over, time and again.

Tim

I normally never do!!! I’m one of the “Better safe than sorry” types!

Excitment may be getting the better of me, woosa.

Last edited by Tizzy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: