Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C recharge
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrslws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: A/C recharge Reply with quote

Any reason not to recharge my A/C system myself? Local shop wants $190 to do it. I can 'borrow' a vacuum from the local auto parts store, and then it's just a matter of some manifold gauges and putting in the correct amount of refrigerant, right? The R134 I can buy is just as good as theirs, yeah? I had to replace some o-rings on the compressor, so i replaced the dryer as well. Thanks in advance! I have a '93 with front and rear air, FYI. Sticker under the hood says 1350g. I'll need to add oil as well since I think most leaked out around that bad oring.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge Reply with quote

If you opened it up and don't know the exact amount of oil in the system, then you should probably pull the dryer back out and flush everything to start fresh. Then you can add oil to the dryer and pump in the amounts spec'd. Is the vacuum pump offered by the local parts store a legitimate unit with at least 4CFM? If it's just one of those air compressor types sold by HF, then don't even bother.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge Reply with quote

If it leaked from an oring seepage you won't have lost any oil. Just add oil to the new dryer, you can get the charge by weight, then evaluate the low to high side ratio to get the charge right
chrslws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge Reply with quote

Thanks all. I think the advice to flush is my best bet. I definitely lost some oil; that was my first clue the seal was bad actually. It was the lower seal on the compressor so I guess some oil accumulated there. I'll have to check to see what type of vacuum pump they offer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge Reply with quote

If it held pressure , skip the flush. Most of the oil ends up in reserve in the accumulator so you can Replace it there. As long as you keep the excess oil out of the compressor, you can overcharge the PAG 2-3x without problems. It's not that critical.
chrslws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge Reply with quote

Thanks! For future reference, is there a book or good website to read about servicing A/C system so I have more than a basic working knowledge?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: