Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Golden Age of Muscle Cars..
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

... it's now.

Seriously, 700+ horse power is insane.

My favorite car of all time is the Porsche 911 but the 2020 Shelby GT500 does give me a "chubby".

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

More like the golden age of designed obsolescence. Damn near all of the new cars will outperform the old cars but all of the required, designed-in, & gimmicky add-on electronics will render these new cars boat anchors once they come out of dealer support.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
More like the golden age of designed obsolescence. Damn near all of the new cars will outperform the old cars but all of the required, designed-in, & gimmicky add-on electronics will render these new cars boat anchors once they come out of dealer support.

That can be said for all cars made in the past 20 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

1000 ft/lbs ain't nothing to sneeze at either. Too bad it costs more than a house.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25858815/2019-ram-heavy-duty-pickup-photos-info/
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

lol low tension rings. almost all have tried that and failed. google oil consumption for anything made from about 2012-13 onward.

that engine sounds about right for a 1 time dyno pull. having said that, in addition to the hellcrate, they now offer a hellephant engine package. kind of cool that ford, gm and Chrysler offer some pretty cool go fast stuff for the hot rodding aftermarket.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

My only complaint- they all "do it" all so smoothly! These modern monsters are so smooth, linear and refined, they are less exciting to really get on. I prefer the torque twist and getting plastered into the seat- and the occasional sound of an engine that does not want to remain in the host car. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

I was just watching "The Grand Tour" first episode of season 3, and they had 3 pretty insane muscle car ;

The Exorcist
The Demon
And some Mustang.

I think the exorcist had around 1000 hp.... Shocked

And the wine on that Demon...

A great episode to watch if you like that kind of thing.... and dont mind the ghetto Detroit as background.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

2020 Shelby GT500 serial #0001 just sold for $1,100,000 on Barrett-Jackson.

Yes it was a charity auction, but that's a lot of cabbage.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Ahhh.. America's love affair with the car..

Some of these modern high power monsters have no business being sold to the general peeling sideways out of the cars and coffee public....but if someone is willing to buy it... then it will be produced and sold.

IMO .. Most of these are neat toys.. but not daily drivers. ..but then again.. the old ones are too..

Spinning tires on the streets .. has absolutely no validity .. 100-1000hp.. you're not going anywhere unless you can plant it to the pavement..

That being stated.. . and being around the new car business.. its really amazing what performance is being produced with modern thinking and technology. Most are built in a nice tight handling package too.. nothing like the old sloppy 60's muscle car.
Even some turbo 4's and 6's are putting out some real decent power now.. just lacking that good ole American V8 sound.. Wink

And as for trucks.. some of the Diesels are turned WAY down what they really could be producing....

We have owned a quite a few hot rods over the years.. The last refined 2004 V8 hot rod had 405 hp and 6 speed manual.. 18-26 mpg and the current 2011 V8 560 hp with a blower and crisp shifting 6 speed automatic.....16-18mpg.. (on good days).
Frankly.. when pressed even gently, the later.. has the plant your ass and head in the seat power that will scare the shit out of most people... but.. I swear it is siphoning fuel out of the other cars in the garage at night.. Confused
I even found the gas lid popped on my motorcycle one morning. Laughing ..
We really didn't buy them for the fuel economy though..
Nothing like a blown V8.. that whine sound is intoxicating

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Yes, Craig Jackson, THE Jackson of Barrett-Jackson, bought it.

All the proceeds are going to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Being a Type 1 (diabetic, not VW), I was almost moved to tears.

Come to think of it, I am also a Type 1 VW. haha
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

To me the whole premise of hot rodding in the '60s and '70s was to take an older car (basic 2 door economy ride) and back ally wrench it to blow away at the lights the latest and most expensive new rides that Detroit had to offer. That was the challenge and it was not that difficult or expensive to do.

These days with the refinement and technology coming out of the factories it is virtually impossible to even match the factory engines without a hi tech design team and a boat load of cash. Even the 4 bangers of today would put the V8s of yesteryear to shame!

Yes the age of muscle cars is now but the only "golden" part for me is the money it takes to buy one! When I think of the real "golden age" of cars I think of skinned knuckles, tires chirping at the lights, the sound of glass packs on a V8 and the pride of accomplishment that brought a big grin to your face.

Money can't buy that!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Yes, Craig Jackson, THE Jackson of Barrett-Jackson, bought it.

All the proceeds are going to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Being a Type 1 (diabetic, not VW), I was almost moved to tears.

Come to think of it, I am also a Type 1 VW. haha

Craig Jackson didn’t donate the money, the person/entity that sold the car did. It’s easy to piss away that kind of money when that was probably the earnings for one hour at the auction.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
... it's now.

Seriously, 700+ horse power is insane.

My favorite car of all time is the Porsche 911 but the 2020 Shelby GT500 does give me a "chubby".

Link

On a recent trip we needed to rent a car and I usually like a safe and sedate garden variety Camry or Altima to blend in with the masses. Those were all gone and I was assigned an Impala, ok I’ve had them but not my first choice.

As I was putting bags into trunk I notice a bright yellow Challenger and had visions of Vanishing Point and Kowalski. A wild hair? Maybe I went back in and for 20 more bucks a day I’m in the drivers seat of a 2019 Throwback car. Only 5000 miles on the clock still smelled new so I ran the piss out it for 5 days and about 700 miles. Turn traction control off turn sport mode on activate the E.T. Counter right under the tach. Tons of fun I’d do it again. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Craig Jackson didn’t donate the money, the person/entity that sold the car did.

Actually he wrote the check to the charity so he DID donate the money. And someone gets a deduction for donating the car to the charity to begin with.

So here's a questions for the CPAs out there... since he gets to keep the car and the car has a value, can he only write off the donation minus the value of the car?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes the age of muscle cars is now but the only "golden" part for me is the money it takes to buy one! When I think of the real "golden age" of cars I think of skinned knuckles, tires chirping at the lights, the sound of glass packs on a V8 and the pride of accomplishment that brought a big grin to your face. Money can't buy that!

Agreed truth..^

The term built not bought is fading on the streets anymore.

Not many out in the garage with the old man..(or woman) tinkering on the Rocket 88 either these days..
Modern cars and technology have changed the shade tree weekend repairs and under the hood alterations.

"Factory muscle cars".. right of the showroom floor today are still out there.. and are leaps and bounds more powerful than the predecessors .. but are costly.

As for the defined muscle car "golden age".. eh.. I think its simply the mindset of when YOU think was the best era..
If you ask an 80 year old .. and you ask a 40 year old..when it was.. is.. you will get different opinions..

Only a hand few of the special vehicles made today .... will survive past their intended life use.. . Bic lighter syndrome.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Actually he wrote the check to the charity so he DID donate the money. And someone gets a deduction for donating the car to the charity to begin with.

So here's a questions for the CPAs out there... since he gets to keep the car and the car has a value, can he only write off the donation minus the value of the car?

And, who gets to claim the deduction? The buyer or the seller? I doubt that the IRS will allow two parties to claim a $1,000,000+ deduction for the same transaction.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Glenn wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

And, who gets to claim the deduction? The buyer or the seller? I doubt that the IRS will allow two parties to claim a $1,000,000+ deduction for the same transaction.

There's 2 donations, 1 is the person that donated it to the charity and the second is the buyer who donated the $1.1m.

I would assume the person that originally donated the car can only write off the actual value so figure around $100,000. I would assume the buyer writes off $1,100,000 minus the value of the car which is $100,000 so th write off is $1,000,000.

My unprofessional guess.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Musscle Cars.. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Long after the "Factory" no longer supports these cars, there will be an aftermarket that will support them, and keeps these things running.
The poor guy that bought the base 4 banger Mustang may not be so lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

and I was tickled shitless with the 618 hp in my old duster.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Early 70's Mopar 440 6 pack and Hemi cars are the zenith of American automotive insanity. Having driven a bone stock 70 'Cuda with a 440 six-pack, drum brakes, manual steering I quickly saw how these were an insurance nightmare. And the true golden age of car coupled with owner. Modern muscle just looks like a video game to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: