Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Dual Carb thread ...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

I've been away from VW's for about 30 years ... but I'm wanting to complete things on my bucket list.

I've got a '62 ragtop that someone cut up for a Baja ... which is fine as that's just what I was wanting.

I've got a very sad '72 Super Beetle with what I believe to be a stock 1600 dual port (doesn't look like its been upgraded in any way) ... It runs and has about 115 pounds of compression per cylinder and I want to pull the engine to put in the ragtop (which doesn't have an engine anyway) but looks to have had the bell housing cut for the larger 12v flywheel.

I'm looking at a "Weber Carburetor Kit VW Bug & Type 1 Dual 40 IDF - tuned for VW air cooled Redline Kit w/ Genuine Spanish 40 IDF European Webers" (description straight from an ebay listing)
Over the years I've had 240Z with dual carbs (upgraded to a Weber 40DCOE 6pac) Several MG's with dual SU's and Strombergs ... so I'm not new to dual's ... but I'm not sure if these are the optimum for the Bug

Right now its just got the stock distributor and exhaust, but I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade both. For exhaust I want headers w/mufflers that aren't too obnoxious ... I have no idea what for a distributor, most likely something with electronic ignition.

Looking for better performance and still have good drive-ability

Am I on the right track?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Yes! Try to find out from the ad what size the venturies are. Most likely 28mm which is fine for stock heads. You might not need a different distributor from stock if those Webers have small vacuum tubes down at the carb base.

I've run 40 IDFs on near-stock 1600s that had just some cylinder head porting and a 1 3/8" header. Ran very well and smooth. This was at least 10 yrs ago, using a good quality centrifugal advance distributor because the carbs did not have the vacuum outlet tubes.

Does your '62 have a short engine lid to offer slight protection from rain to the carb air filters? If not, be careful that you park the car to avoid rain. If water enters the engine through the air filters and partly open intake valves, the water in the cylinder can ruin the cylinders over a long storage time. Otherwise you can fit a cover over the air filters for storage. Even a baggie will do, but remember to remove before next drive.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rome!
In the description it didn't say what size the venturi's are but on another site that had more info it said they were indeed 28's

All this stuff is enough to make a return into the world of VW's pretty confusing ... I'm a virtual newbie all over again!

In looking at exhaust I ran across this, it says there is clearance for any dual carb setup, which is kinda what I'm wanting. I think. It doesn't need to be shiny, I guess that's just a bonus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm assuming (I know what they say about that), but the "mufflers" are kind of like the Thrush mufflers I put on my 65 MGB back when I was a kid and needed something NOW, but had to save up for a replacement from British Leyland. Not the quietest by any stretch of the imagination but I'm thinking it would tone it down a bit.

Again, this is just a knock-around car, drive to work on nice days ect ... I imagine it won't get driven any more than my 72 vette that its probably going to replace (because its so low, its really hard to get out of when you have bad knees!) ... the wife and I are still talking about that.

Always open to suggestions!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Those exhausts are terrible, performance and sound is shit. I went with a u bend offroad exhaust and added a 13in glasspack to it. It sounds great, not too loud not too quiet and fairly compact.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
In looking at exhaust I ran across this, it says there is clearance for any dual carb setup, which is kinda what I'm wanting. I think. It doesn't need to be shiny, I guess that's just a bonus

Absolutely the worst exhaust you can get.

And they are really LOUD.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla & Glenn, thanks for keeping me from making a huge mistake!

Vanillagurilla, my rear cage looks about the same as your's ... I'll look into that system ... did it come with that muffler flange on the end or did you have to add that? are they headers that you added the glass pack to?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:

Vanillagurilla, my rear cage looks about the same as your's ... I'll look into that system ... did it come with that muffler flange on the end or did you have to add that? are they headers that you added the glass pack to?

That header appears to be an EMPI Tee Pee baja exhaust.
The muffler looks to be added by a muffler shop.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:

The exhaust is a $90 empi u bend offroad exhaust, after the rebuild my old lady said it was loud and it was if you were a passenger lol so I went to my local muffler shop and had them weld on the glasspack. The glass pack is the only muffler on there. I had it that way for a year and 2 weeks ago I welded the exhaust flange on so i can remove the muffler when I want. On my baja the muffler has plenty of room but I also had the shop add a hangar to the cage where my tail lights bolt on to help support it and take the weight off the collector. Over a year and no problems. You will probly have plenty of room to do this, mine was a little tight because when they did the rear bumper they cut a few inches off the mounts so it sat closer to the motor and more compact but I still have plenty of room. If your interested I can take more pictures or a video for you.

Heres what the exhaust comes like and a picture of the flange welded on, I got the flanges from the same muffler shop so they can do that for you if you want as well.

TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
TonyB wrote:

<SNIP>
If your interested I can take more pictures or a video for you.
<snip>

Thanks for offer, I'm not quite there yet ... don't even have the engine in yet but hope too in the next week or so ...

I'm sort of trying to figure out a budget, funds are available but limited ... I wish I'd just win a lottery or the Publishers Clearing House Jackpot for life ... that way I wouldn't have to worry about the little things like money!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Yeah me too, I spent almost $2000 on rebuilding mine and never touched the bottom end lol
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
Yeah me too, I spent almost $2000 on rebuilding mine and never touched the bottom end lol

I'm still recovering from the initial purchase ... and Mama doesn't know I've bought the ragtop yet!
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

<SNIP>
Does your '62 have a short engine lid to offer slight protection from rain to the carb air filters? If not, be careful that you park the car to avoid rain. If water enters the engine through the air filters and partly open intake valves, the water in the cylinder can ruin the cylinders over a long storage time. Otherwise you can fit a cover over the air filters for storage. Even a baggie will do, but remember to remove before next drive.

it does have the short lid, in fact it has the body kit I was wanting as well as the 1-piece door glass, up-graded seats from something, but I'm not sure what.

I'm not sure why the previous owner moved the wire harness frome above the left fender to come into the center of the engine compartment, maybe it will make more sense when I get the engine in?

Oh, and I don't know what that silver box just under the hood is either, any clue? ... here's a couple pictures!

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

change the mounts...the poly ones dont last for ever... cb has some good ones that do..
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

This may be a simple question for some but I’m a beginner at this. I have a 71 super beetle I’m looking to fix up and learn on. It does run but it started to stutter in 2nd gear and then finally stalled out completely and wouldn’t start. Then I noticed gas spitting out when I press the throttle which I’m sure isn’t good. Of course I won’t attempt to start it up until I solve this issue. Is the carburetor shot or is it just an adjustment? The close up where it looks wet is where it’s spitting out from. Thanks.

TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
change the mounts...the poly ones dont last for ever... cb has some good ones that do..

I took a look at them last night, one is broken, who is CB?
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

I ordered a set of EMPI carbs, simuler to what I started looking at, and according to Gary at CIP1, are not only better but are less expensive ... I just hope I don't have too much carb for then engine I've got, but I want to use these on the next engine as well.

He also recommended this distributor with centrifical advance and electronic ignition and to put a rev limiting rotor on it, so I went with that, also instead of a more expensive Petronix (sp?) unit.

Finally I went with an EMPI header/muffler setup

Also got some little things like a Bosch blue coil, blue wires and new blue pushrods tubes as the seals were leaking on the old ones anyway.
Then some bling, aluminum valve covers and degree'd crank "power pully"
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

most of what cip sells is shit. knocks off's of knockoffs knock offs. good luck.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
most of what cip sells is shit. knocks off's of knockoffs knock offs. good luck.

Wow, that would have been good to know ... So who's a good vender? What about JBugs?

These two sellers were the top (first listed) in Internet searches when I was shopping for my starting point ...
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

Quote:
who is CB?

CB Peformance, one of the oldest VW parts vendors in the country. Located in central Calif. CB stands for the original name Claude's Buggies. Many people in the hobby refer to them simply as CB due to them having always being around, and no other vendor having a similar name. Here's the website: https://www.cbperformance.com/
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another Dual Carb thread ... Reply with quote

CB is good. I’m also a fan of John at aicooled.net. He’s very good responding to emails if you have questions.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/

Research the parts before you pull the trigger.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: