Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

busey wrote:
YIKES! Pray

Yikes it right. This is 2 years old. I wonder if the ambition wore off? That whole motor is shit. Unusable.

Pulling the panels off at the seems and spots welds is the way to do it. But when you have to do the whole car, DAYUM - find a better one. Tip of the hat for effort. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

He hasn't even been here for almost a year! I wonder where he lives? It always rubs me wrong when guys are skeered to post their location. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
He hasn't even been here for almost a year! I wonder where he lives? It always rubs me wrong when guys are skeered to post their location. Twisted Evil

Hey man, if I were growing pot, making shine or looked at freaky shit on the net, I wouldn't want you knowing either. Not that the OP is but just sayin. Don't forget them antisocial, Big Brother is looking, could pop at any notice types like Tram Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Yeah, no doubt Jason,
You would NEVER want Tram to know where you live..

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Yeah, no doubt Jason,
You would NEVER want Tram to know where you live..

I don't know about that. Someone like Tram might be good for having/giving advice, or having a beer and a cigar to BS with.
Besides, having where you live might allow someone to help you IF you need some help (parts or labor).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Tram is only 20 miles from me & I have a tow dolly, so my VW experience has been 'trouble free'. Cool
People that don't post their City lose out on parts & labor!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Hi, Mike.
Sorry you got rubbed wrong, I hate it when that happens! Embarassed
I think it's fixed now... I'm in the Savannah, GA area.
And sorry to all the rest of the followers as well for the abrupt halt. The build is not dead yet, but it did stop for quite a while.
With the storms, hurricanes, the constant wet weather, and also finding out my motor was not original I lost my momentum. At the time I was hell-bent on the 1500 club! But I've never stopped buying parts! Cool
I've done a re-think on this one, and it's still on the back burner. I'm quietly looking for a period-correct case to build, otherwise I'm going with a type 4 motor since I love clatter's build so much.
Short update:
Right after I bought this notch, I bought a bare/stripped '67 square for parts, really nice with nothing but surface rust and a few bad seams. I was going to cut it up for parts, but then decided it was too nice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm going to build it to sell, and then evaluate what' I'll work on next.
I've got T3 blood flowing for sure, and I also just bought the '66 green fastback that was recently posted. I've never been a fastback fan, and am guilty of cutting them up for parts in the past, but this one had an all original interior with no major issues, very rare L610 Delta Green which I like, and not too much rust. The pans are shot, but otherwise is pretty much ready to run.

So now I"ve basically got 4 cars to do, and they all have pan-off work to do, so this weekend I'm finishing up my rotisserie fabrication, and it'll be actively spinning a floorpan here shortly.

So this thread is still on pause mode, but I'll be working on something for sure.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Sometimes life gets in the way, and sometimes new projects come along that are easier to finish.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Doing a restoration to any kind of stock with what you had to start with is extremely hard. Let alone trying to get 1500 snobby street cred. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I did it once and by snobby standards was not 100% correct. Pedro is the only one that goes to the nth degree in making his T34's as stock as day one as possible. He's obsessed with it more than I ever was. I'll take a workaround no one will notice most of the time. Confused Cool

The 62 below was missing everything. I had a good wrap around dash and was stoked to have it. I ended up dropping it and watch it break into 23 pieces. I also folded up the rear window trim like a burrito and tossed it in the bin. I had no idea it was early fat and hard to get. Shocked The learning curve was steep.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Doing a restoration to any kind of stock with what you had to start with is extremely hard. Let alone trying to get 1500 snobby street cred. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I did it once and by snobby standards was not 100% correct. Pedro is the only one that goes to the nth degree in making his T34's as stock as day one as possible. He's obsessed with it more than I ever was. I'll take a workaround no one will notice most of the time. Confused Cool

The 62 below was missing everything. I had a good wrap around dash and was stoked to have it. I ended up dropping it and watch it break into 23 pieces. I also folded up the rear window trim like a burrito and tossed it in the bin. I had no idea it was early fat and hard to get. Shocked The learning curve was steep.

Yup, part of the reason I built my 65 Notch as a cruiser, versus a "club car". It had so much missing, that I'd have a small fortune in it trying to find everything. Add in that I'm in the mid west, shipping would kill me (especially heavy items). In my case using what I had worked out well, as I still have the car, and use it too.
And Jason's pic below reminds me of what I started with, but was probably cleaner that what I had, even if it came from Texas (mine), but the sunroof is why I kept going.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Reply with quote

Just to help keep the thread alive.....
I bought a '72 411 just to get the drivetrain. If I don't find a numbers correct T3 motor by the time I need it, this will go in.
1700, with original FI, automatic.
I'm not an automatic fan, but since there are so many positive thoughts on them (and my fiance is scared to death of the manual), this might be the right project to give it a shot.
I don't know if it runs, but it's all there, and unmolested.
69K on the odometer.

'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: