Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
So for now he rests, I've been driving the bug around and collecting supplies to do body work on that. The belt came a bit loose so it drained the bat. Bat is charged and ready just got to get around to replacing the belt. I gotta find a good 1600 for the bug, too. Little 1300 just won't do for long distance Razz

You do know that you have to move the shims that are in between the pulley halfs to adjust it right? You take a shim or 2 out, to tighten the belt, and add a shim or 2 to tighten the belt. Those that you remove, you place under the pulley nut. It should be covered in both the service manual and the owners manual.

Yes, I know, I plan on getting around to it, but with my boss out of town and me somewhat in charge I'm very busy. I plan on replacing the belt at the same time since it's unknown how old it is. Don't worry, I will get to it very soon! Just need bossman back in town so I'm not staying as late as I am.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Anyone know what this bumper is? It's sitting on a 66 here in Oregon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks too well fitting to be a home hack, but I could always be wrong.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Existing thread in the Type 3 Accessories forum:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70806&start=2420
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

It also looks to have a little fin in the front of the center hood crease!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Existing thread in the Type 3 Accessories forum:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70806&start=2420

Haha, I made a post there with it. Really neat looking. If it wasn't in Grants Pass I'd pick it up just for the bumpers. I'm thinking about some Volvo bumpers for the car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

The resemblance causes many to mistake them from the rear:

Put a Volvo badge on it, and see who you can fool!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The resemblance causes many to mistake them from the rear:

Put a Volvo badge on it, and see who you can fool!

I already fool a lot, somehow! Haha. I've gotten a lot of people who don't know what a Type 3 is at all and think it's a Volvo. I saw that Truck build that's in WA that put a volvo bumper on and it looks really really smooth.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Think I solved it. Looks almost like 2nd gen Camaro split bumpers mounted over the stock t3 blade. I really like it!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

I'm thinking now that it's a bit low on gear oil, as I got a little smoke and stink from a short drive around yesterday after he sat for that two weeks or so. Still started up and ran like a champ, but as soon as I smelled something wrong I went home and parked him up. Smoke definitely wasn't from motor end, it was coming out from the top of the passenger rear wheelwell. I'll check the gear oil when I get a chance (and the tools to do so) some time next week, as I have a lot of time off right now.

Oh and if nobody saw, Tran identified the bumper as the REAR bumperettes off a Mercedes 108 or 109. I had assumed when people on Facebook were saying 111 bumpers, they meant the front as the photos they posted were showing the front end. Still a really neat idea!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

You will ruin your ring & pinion bearings if you drive it low on 80-90 weight gear oil. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You will ruin your ring & pinion bearings if you drive it low on 80-90 weight gear oil. Idea

Yeah I won't be driving him at all till I can get to doing it. I'm hoping I have the weather and time this week but I may head to my shop and see if he could get it done for me in the mean time.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Yeah I won't be driving him at all till I can get to doing it. I'm hoping I have the weather and time this week but I may head to my shop and see if he could get it done for me in the mean time.

For less than 5 bucks you should be able to fix it. One buck for a piece of 3/8th hose, and the balance for a jug of 80-90 fluid.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

For less than 5 bucks you should be able to fix it. One buck for a piece of 3/8th hose, and the balance for a jug of 80-90 fluid.

What tool do I need to get to it, and where's it located? I also need to be able to get the car high, as this thing's somewhat low and I've only got a basic jack.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

What tool do I need to get to it, and where's it located? I also need to be able to get the car high, as this thing's somewhat low and I've only got a basic jack.
Didn't Mike tell you to get a brown Bentley manual/it's easily found in there. But you need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the fill or drain plugs.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Didn't Mike tell you to get a brown Bentley manual/it's easily found in there. But you need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the fill or drain plugs.

That's what I had thought, and yes I do have it.... ssssomewhere. To be fair I haven't needed it in quite a while! Guess I get to go buy a 17mm as I guarantee I do not have one. Is there anything I should inspect while I'm down with the trans? Might as well clean everything, too, can't imagine it's shiny down there.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

You found Haynes & Bentley manuals in Otto when you bought it, but you 'haven't needed it' or haven't studied it?
I hope it's not too late for your smoking ring & pinion! If it whines/howls when you drive it, you waited too long.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You found Haynes & Bentley manuals in Otto when you bought it, but you 'haven't needed it' or haven't studied it?
I hope it's not too late for your smoking ring & pinion!

Hadn't YET! Lol. Hopfully not. Like I said as soon as I smelt something funny I limped him home slow as I could. Luckily I was only in town so it wasn't too far.

I've had the brown one a while but it had gotten lost in Blue for a while after I stopped driving him and started stuffing tools and parts in him in random places. But you're right! I do have the brown one from Otto! I forgot I found one! I think that one's in the garage in the box of stuff that came with him. I also think my Idiot's book is in the back of Otto. Either way I should be OK. I just forgot I had a second one, haha. Besides, I've been more focused on polishing and waxing Laughing Laughing
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Got it all drained today... then prompty got called to work to cover a shift. I'll be getting it all done tomorrow though! Thanks everyone for being patient with me. You gotta understand I'm still some dumb kid who can't even legally drink yet (not that I particularly want to anyways! Razz )

I'm still learning every day with these things. Every day is an adventure, a learning experience, and an quest for knowledge with a VW in my possession.

Also: might as well post here in case anyone has one, I'm looking out for a Canada / Euro late beetle steering wheel to put in my '66. The one that looks like a small Baywindow wheel. I really like the basic look. Thanks!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
I'm still some dumb kid who can't even legally drink yet (not that I particularly want to anyways! Razz )

Owning a vintage VW will cure your aversion to drinking!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
I'm still some dumb kid who can't even legally drink yet (not that I particularly want to anyways! Razz )

Owning a vintage VW will cure your aversion to drinking!

Or start your drinking. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: