Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I saw you posted after me KG, I assumed you were going to give me a hard time because my transmission is dusty. Didn't think you just stopped by to build a bomb. Wink

No, dusty is good - that means you're actually driving and enjoying that beautiful Ghia of yours. Smile

I was beginning to think that this discussion has all the hallmarks of one of those topics where people share how they've come up with a way to do something better than the way that the team of Volkswagen engineers devised, and which proved to work just fine for many millions of miles.

However, ... it would appear that there may be some validity to that "I can make it better" line of thinking in this case.

Some very quick research indicates that VW originally relied on the "sock" filter in the exit of the fuel tank, and the very small screen filter in the fuel pump itself.
This is the only mention of fuel filter maintenance I could find in the 1968 Karmann Ghia Owner's Manual ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you widen your search to include information on fuel filter mounting in the VW Beetle, you will quickly be overwhelmed with plenty of thoughts and opinions on the matter.

If you are new-ish to the vintage VW scene, then your time would be very well spent reading through the Beetle Sticky Topic Beetles And Fires?.
There along with all the information about mounting an additional fuel filter, you will also find some very valuable advice about securing the brass fuel inlet fitting to the pot metal body of the carburetor.
The failure where that fitting works loose and falls out of the carb, resulting in the spraying of perfectly filtered fuel all about the engine compartment, is undoubtely the primary cause of Vintage VW engine fires.

Whether or not you end up having the weight of an unsecured inline fuel filter constantly tugging on that brass fuel inlet barb, you should very seriously consider at least making the effort to secure that barb with safety wire as our own Ghia Forum moderator Glenn illustrates in this photo of his (found in that Beetles And Fires thread) ...

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter Reply with quote

I agree. I wired mine up just like that

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: