Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blown Engine :(
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Update!

Slit the case. Found lots of bad news. Looks like cylinder 2 was toast. The rods were warped. It looks like at some point in the life of the engine there was a blown piston and the just poped a new one on there without rebuilding. There was piston metal all in the case. Lifters were toast. The case was cracked. Main bearing was seizing up. Crank was toast. And a lot of other things. Basically the engine had problems for a while.

My mechanic out here recommended going with an engine builder as he could not compete with the price. He said he could build me a quote but thinks it might be significantly more than some of the others recommended on the forums.

I called Jeff over at gem vw. I put a deposit on a stock turnkey 1600cc dual port 34 carb. Should be getting the engine feb 7th.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Curious. What was brought on this revelation to Gary that he couldn’t compete in price with other builders? Labor, parts, specs, etc ? Odd that you had bus towed there only to find out he couldn’t meet your budget/timeline. At least you had some other builders holstered and ready.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

When I first took the van to Gary he thought that the engine was not as in bad of shape as it is. He was also under the impression it was a 1600 and my case would not be cracked.

Gary is an old school guy. He has been doing it for 45 years. He has built hundreds of engines but is primarily a general mechanics shop. For the turn key from Jeff it’s 3599 with shipping. Gary would not be buying in bulk and sourcing each part himeself and doing everything niche just for me as he does not build engines 100 percent of the time. He thought he could not compete with that price. I assume Jeff can do things cheaper as he does things in bulk and has a streamlined process with parts already sourced and buyers he trusts because he is primarily an engine builder.

I wish it could have worked with Gary. I tore the case apart with him today and learned a ton working with him. He is a knowledgeable and good human. But his quote would be quite a bit higher than Jeff’s.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Makes sense. Good luck. And you know Aeromech will be “Looking over the shoulder” of Gem VW. Not a bad guy to have in your corner Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

You’re buying a turn key not a long block?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

The good news is that someone who knows AC VW engines looked it over. The OP could have been in a situation where someone said no problem, charged him $1800 and put the old bad parts back in.
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
You’re buying a turn key not a long block?

A lot of my engine tin and other parts are in rough shape! It makes more sense to get a full set up. I think Jeff is going to set me up nicely.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

I spoke with Jeff on the phone to help a client chose an engine builder last month. Though we went another route, I was very pleased with how quickly Jeff picked up the phone himself and answered all my (picky) questions, and was so willing to work with a tough timeline. I think you made a great choice.

I also think your combo will go a long way towards achieving your list.

Dual port tin mandatory reading:
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/cylinder_air_vanes.html

Though you might not be buying tin from AP, the advice is sound. The dual-port tins have different architecture that REALLY need the air deflectors. Single port and aftermarket tin do not have the deflectors. (Ask my valve seats how I learned this the hard way…)

Best of luck with your new engine!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

One of my customers (I'm retired now) learned the hard way. When he arrived the lower tin had somehow been fitted the wrong way round, scooping up air against the fan flow, three vanes in the aftermarket fan housing had fallen off and blocked what flow there was to 3&4, at least one big end was gone and the oil looked like grinding paste, but it was still running. He took it elsewhere, I probably shouldn't have laughed so much.
Davada66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

I would suggest you get a 1776 cc long block it uses the same 69mm crank the 1600 uses and will run fine on the 34pict carburetor or you can get a center mounted Weber 40 that will boost your performance. Pistons will be 90.5 and your cylinder heads should up grade to big valve heads 40. intake 35.5 exhaust. AA cylinder heads will work well I have been using them in a 2084cc I just built and they seem fine in my application. Get high ZDDP Break in Oil when you first start the motor, you have to bring up the rps to around 2500 for 30 minutes to properly break in the lifters and cam shaft and start the rings seating. AA pistons work well but change the piston rings to Grant rings. Always use a high ZDDP motor oil it costs more but that is what a air cooled engine needs. See if you can find a company in your area so if anything goes wrong it can be resolved locally. Maybe full flow the case so you can have an oil filter on the new engine. the engine will last much longer and install a oil sump of 2 quarts at least, really helps will oil temperature. No hill driving until after 500 miles and vary the rpm during driving nothing over 55 miles per hr. Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

New 1600cc Engine from Jeff at Gemvw goes in today! Will post photos and videos soon! Smile
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Engine is in! Runs like a dream. Almost fully stock Smile

Cant thank Jeff from Gemvw and Jerry from Youngs Old Volks Home enough. You guys really helped me out! Thanks to all the smabanighhts as well! Yall rock. Happy to be back on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdeU0Rb8Kao&feature=youtu.be
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Congrats on getting back on the road. The engine sounds smooth and looks good. Cool Happy putting
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

I just read the whole thread. Congrats on the new engine. It sounds great.
Put an SVDA distributor on your to-do list. An 034 will work well. The engine will seem like a different animal in the low end with a SVDA distributor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: