Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westdre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: 2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I live in Canada, have a 1994 2.4 diesel Eurovan Westy. I have owned since 2011. Mechanically, it is now in the best shape of its life: just got everything including exhaust manifold fixed, and someone modded the fuel pump a few years ago to get my cruising speed up to around 110kmh.

Two years ago, we drove from Toronto all through the southwest US, had a blast. Right at Denver where we started to drive up the Rockies, however, the van started coughing and we were down to around 30kmh, only faster than the most weighed-down of transport trucks. I got off the Interstate for fear of getting a ticket for going too slow. There was just no more juice. Engine is around 77bhp I think.

We drove in the Rockies for around 3h until we started descending again into Utah.

This summer, we are thinking of doing a trip from Toronto to Vancouver including Edmonton to Banff— Rockies. It won’t be for 3h, it will be for hours and hours that we are in the mountains and, I think, higher than the stretch near Denver.

Questions: 1. What are diesel Westy owners’ experiences of driving in the Canadian Rockies? I am afraid that the trip will be too high, too many hours up high for my vehicle. What are your opinions on taking a diesel Westy there?

2. Two years ago, the exhaust manifold hadn’t been fixed yet. I barely drove the van when I got it fixed this year. How much would the fixed manifold affect performance? This is like a max 77bhp.

Thanks, André
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies? Reply with quote

Having owned a diesel Vanagon Westy, I can tell you that you’re pushing a lot of weight with just over the minimum HP required to keep that beast at a steady 55-60 MPH, without hills or headwind. The only way that you’re going to keep that beast climbing steep grades, especially at higher altitudes, is by forced induction. Look for an exhaust manifold & turbo from a gas or diesel 5 cylinder Audi 5000/200.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
westdre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies? Reply with quote

Thanks! So I can put a gas exhaust manifold/turbo into the van? It doesn’t have to be diesel?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies? Reply with quote

yes and no

it will bolt to the cylinder head
but the Eurovan is tilted forward and transverse compared to a gas/diesel 5000/200
you WILL have to do custom exhaust work
you WILL need to supply the turbo with oil, have a good clear oil drain
you WILL have to supply the turbo with coolant and return that coolant to the system enroute to the radiator.

without boost enrichment, you'll effectively gain an "Eco Diesel" performance..
it will improve, but not become a rocket ship..

if successful you'll want to monitor EGTs.. ok I don't know if an Eco-diesel needs to monitor EGTs but it's not a bad idea.

also those 5cyl turbos are very long in the tooth if you can even find one..
they mount the turbo towards the pulley end of the motor and the wastegate towards the flywheel end.. image below for reference
see here for more pics
http://www.motorcityaudi.com/forums/index.php?topic=1060.0

I'm down in Syracuse, NY (about 5hrs from Toronto) and I do have 5cyl gas turbo manifolds if you decide to go this route..
PM me as I don't go into the eurovan forum that much..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westdre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4D AAB 1994 Eurovan in Canadian Rockies? Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: