Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Is there one? I only found a thread on the rears. If not, can anyone provide thoughts, experiences etc on their strengths and weaknesses?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Might as well throw GoWesty into the comparison:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23870
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

I think Smallcar's dual piston might be better,but I have no experience with them. I see GoWesty and Smallcar are out of stock. I have the old VanCafe G-57 Audi big brake which is the same as Burley's I believe. The drawback on the G-57's is the rubber bushing that the caliper pin goes through. I could see them working if the bushings were solid,but mine were hollow allowing the pin to flex quite a bit. There is an aftermarket kit to address this:
http://www.tyrolsport.com/braking/tyrolsport-brake-caliper-stiffening-kit-for-vw/audi/
The kit is $100 and Burley's brake kit is on sale now for $100 off. With the stiffening kit,BMW E-30 booster,BMW E-32 master cylinder (stiffened)and Smallcar rear discs, I am quite happy with them.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Where we at this with? I need a new rotor, so I'm considering doing the big brake upgrade. I might not as I have an 83.5 and would need the 86+ 'uprights'.

Gowesty is OOS and Van Cafe is OOS right now too
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

I just installed Burleys under my Rheins and am happy with them. I did it for the vented rotors more than more braking power. The stock brakes are pretty good but I want more heat shedding capacity in the mountains.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dustyrhodes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Don't forget the south african big brake upgrade from van cafe. I went that route and it drives (and stops) great!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Checking back in to see if any reports on people running the Small Car audi-based setup? I like that I can just one-stop-shop and get the kit through them instead if piecing it all together. Just considering a BBK for upcoming camp season.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

I just received the Small Car kit. Have not installed yet. Looks great spread out in the back of the van!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
I just received the Small Car kit. Have not installed yet. Looks great spread out in the back of the van!

Ahh excellent. Do a writeup or post pics plz...
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

I had Van Cafe big brake kit for several years and was happy. Needed new pads and noticed very uneven pad wear and couldn't fix. Folks at Van Cafe had no real helpful suggestions so I decided to go with someone else big kit.
At first I leaned toward Go Westys but noticed that they would not fit Rhine wheels. I have the Rhines. I then decided to go with Small Cars, they also don't fit Rhines! Talked with Brian at Small Car and was told a little grinding on the calipers would facilitate installation.
Small Car big brakes are on now for about 1500 miles and I am very pleased.
The amount of caliper grinding is very minimal.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

I have 6 years/60k miles on my Small Car brakes. I have been very happy with them. I can not say how they compare to other kits. I did have a rotor warp at about 30k and replaced pads/rotors. I think the pads were getting a little hard to find. I ended up buying several sets of pads from someone on the Samba who was getting rid of their stash of brake pads. My one complaint is the brake lines. If you research it, you will find some people have had their VW brake lines rub against the wheels. I switched to a custom set of lines. More info here...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622814&highlight=brake+lines
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Small Car brake kit note.
I'm getting to the point of installing the hubs to the spindles (gotta clean off those backing plates!). Small Car gives the option of not having the bearing races installed in the hubs, which saves a little $$. So I knocked the races in there myself, but see that the BBS branded hubs have no reliefs in the hub bore that would allow future removal/replacement of the bearing races. I seriously doubt that I'll ever have to replace the bearings, but it's worth noting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Might have been worth grinding in a couple of flats prior to installing the races. No edge you could catch with a drift? If the time comes, we weld a bead around the face of the race with our mig welder. Between shrinking and the heat, races usually fall out. Not something you can do in a camp ground though. Thanks for pointing that out. Good luck with the rest of the project.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
I had Van Cafe big brake kit for several years and was happy. Needed new pads and noticed very uneven pad wear and couldn't fix. Folks at Van Cafe had no real helpful suggestions so I decided to go with someone else big kit.
At first I leaned toward Go Westys but noticed that they would not fit Rhine wheels. I have the Rhines. I then decided to go with Small Cars, they also don't fit Rhines! Talked with Brian at Small Car and was told a little grinding on the calipers would facilitate installation.
Small Car big brakes are on now for about 1500 miles and I am very pleased.
The amount of caliper grinding is very minimal.

The Tyrolsport bushing stiffening kit addresses this problem of caliper flex and uneven pad wear with the G-57s. "TyrolSports revolutionary new Rigid Caliper Sliders limit caliper flex inherent in the stock rubber-bushed design. This flex leads to uneven pad wear and rotor deposits under hard usage."

I see the Burley front big brake kit is now a twin or dual piston setup.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
I have 6 years/60k miles on my Small Car brakes. I have been very happy with them. I can not say how they compare to other kits. I did have a rotor warp at about 30k and replaced pads/rotors. I think the pads were getting a little hard to find. I ended up buying several sets of pads from someone on the Samba who was getting rid of their stash of brake pads. My one complaint is the brake lines. If you research it, you will find some people have had their VW brake lines rub against the wheels. I switched to a custom set of lines. More info here...

I am almost in need of pads and rotors for my Small Car kit. Which pads did you end up getting?
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

For anybody considering the Small car kit, here are some more notes on the hardware and installation.

I had issues with the provided wheel seal to seat squarely. I don't have photos but the supplied seal has rubber ridges around the outside perimeter which made it very difficult to get the seal in the hub bore. I wound up purchasing National seal # 225500. This seal has a smooth outer perimeter and drives in nicely.

The torque spec provided with the kit documentation calls for 200 ft/lbs on the caliper braket bolts. Good luck with that. I set mine with a good torque wrench set at 200 but could not get enough on it to reach that value. They are plenty tight however. If you use an open end wrench on the nut to back it up, the rotation will jam the wrench in place after torquing the bolt. To prevent this, next time I would place something across the wrench to limit its travel.

The pads are Textar brand and have a wear sensor wire that presumably gets cut off. This would be the inboard pad I believe. I'll mount the pads and calipers tomorrow when the weather is better, and see if I like the way the supplied hoses look.

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
termuehlen wrote:

I am almost in need of pads and rotors for my Small Car kit. Which pads did you end up getting?
nate

I am not sure what I got from a Samba member at the time. He had "back stock" pads that fit the Girling G60s. I know that at the time, I was looking for:

PBR Deluxe Ceramic D447R

Other part numbers to search for include:

Application: 1990-94 Audi V8 Quattro with Girling brakes
Pads OE #: 447698151F (another PBR # D1253D PBR Deluxe)
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

EDIT:
G60 front pad cross reference;
88 audi 5000 turbo pads. I bought Hawk performance pads.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Burley v Small Car FRONT bigger brake comparo? Reply with quote

Calipers and pads installed without issue.
The only tricky part is the connection with the hard line.
I suggest soaking with your favorite penetrant for a day or two, then cut the old line close to the fitting. Use a 14 mm deep socket on the old hose fitting and an 11 mm flare line wrench for the hard line.

It remains to be seen how best to secure the line somehow to avoid contact with the tires.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: