Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Captive nut for long starter bolt?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

On a 12 volt starter would it be easier to put a captive nut in bell housing and tighten from starter side? thanks
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

Reaching around behind the fan housing is not that bad, but you have to go under the bus to get the other bolt anyways. If you have dual carbs it's a bit more difficult.
I think it would depend on what kind of captive nut you had in mind, as this bolt has to hold the engine to the trans as well. You would also have to consider the area on the starter that the head of the bolt goes would need room for the bolt and a socket around it. The starter as it sits only has room for the head of the "D" bolt.
A few hurdles to clear, but it would be nice.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

You could simply J-B weld the nut on if you replace the bolt with a Allan head. Easier to torque with a ball-end driver.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

Personally I think it would make it more difficult as the solenoid is in the way. Sometimes I clean it real good and put blue tape holding the bolt head.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

I just put a little windshield setting dum dum rubber adhesive on the head of the long bolt so it doesnt wiggle away from the nut when reaching in front of the fanshroud in the engine compartment when installing the nut.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
I just put a little windshield setting dum dum rubber adhesive on the head of the long bolt so it doesnt wiggle away from the nut when reaching in front of the fanshroud in the engine compartment when installing the nut.

This. 100% this. Simple.

I use plumber's putty, but whatever works.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

roadkingdoc wrote:
On a 12 volt starter would it be easier to put a captive nut in bell housing and tighten from starter side? thanks
that could work for a 6v starter, but not easily on a 12v starter. The D bolt and the notch on the 12v starter work together so you can tighten the bolt from the easy to get to side. Use some putty like others have said.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Captive nut for long starter bolt? Reply with quote

On my Micro, I put a factory doghouse insert on both upper case holes and use Allenhead studs with washers to bolt together. Makes it simpler with my dual carbs.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: