Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luebkeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

We are building a land speed car for Bonneville (Salt Flats).

For the division we want to compete in we need cars with a Model year of 1981 or earlier.

We want to run a Scirocco and obviously we want to run the MK2 Scirocco based on the improved aerodynamics (compared to the MK1).

The rules state the car needs to be a Model 1981 or earlier (either foreign or domestic).

The MK2s in the US are all 1982 and later. However based on my research it seems that the Scirocco MK2 was a 1981 model in Germany, France, and Italy.

VW America was unable to provide me any documentation to verify this. They said to contact the Stiftung Auto Museum Volkswagen, however the contact info for the museum is all in German.

Does anyone have documentation that can help prove that there were indeed 1981 Scirocco MK2s offered in Europe?

The Scirocco brochures on this site have January 1981 print dates but that is not sufficient to prove it was a 1981 Model....

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-BL
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

April '81 was production start for MK2 which makes it a '81 model.
But I have no documents to prove this.

The various microfiche parts books do have a frame-number/dates list like this (Golf Cabriolet as example):
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Golf1Cabrio-1984-1993/html5.html#/12

Is this what you need? Unfortunately there is no Scirocco parts list on the VW classic site.
Luebkeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

Yes, something like that would work...but for a 1981 scirocco.

An owners manual would work also. One that is labeled 1981 and clearly shows the MK2 body.

A build sheet or spec sheet would work.

I have searched the internet and can not find the documentation.

I have e-mailed the Stiftung auto museum several times but no response. I wrote in English and German (using google translator).

If I spoke German I would call them. Stiftung museum Telephone: +49 (5361) 5 20 71. But my German is terrible.

-Blake
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

you have a pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luebkeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

I e-mailed the people at the Museum that you gave me - No response yet.

I wonder if there is an issue with my US Yahoo e-mail and the Museum spam filters?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

I don't know you could also try the second address.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luebkeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

Yes. I emailed both addresses.
framed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

Started March 81 according to this old video. Hardly proof of ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cR6zjROTvY
Luebkeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Scirocco MK2? Offered in Europe? Need proof Reply with quote

I finally did get a response from the auto museum archive department. They sent me a signed letter that will work. I also tracked down an original 1981MK2 owners manual.
Thank you for your help and input on this matter!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: