Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Starting a thread for my 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback I picked up in July and have been slowly beavering away on.

Found the car on Gumtree after a relative sent me the link. Car had a pretty honest description and was priced well, best part it was under 10min drive away from home so I was dead keen on it. I rang the previous owner within a few hours of the add being up and he already had an offer, I was second in line. The next day he calls and says other guy is dicking him around with money and if I can pay a deposit on the spot its mine, safe to say it didn't take me long to send the money over, still hadn't seen the car in person.

Picked the car up a few days later once I got back from work. Car was as expected from the add which listed rust in the floor, sills and around the engine lid and "55 years of small bumps on virtually every panel"

Very stoked to have it home, have been after a Type 3 wagon for many years, plan for the car is to fix the major rust to male it safe and waterproof the cabin, replace window rubbers and drive the crap out of it.

Photos below are same day it came home.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lined up with the rest of the family

The car also came with loads of spare parts, reeled dad in the borrow his trailer to haul all the parts home. All up it came with a full set of spare glass, spare panels, front window visor, fuel tank, spare gauge set, new set of ISP West window rubbers and all sorts of other additions. Was a full trailer and full wagon on the way home

The first few weeks of ownership it got driven around as my daily. All up runs sweet and haven't had to do too much to get it driving nicely, new shifter coupling, adjust the brakes and other basics and it was good fun to drive again.

I've already started some rust repair work on the car so will detail where it's currently at in the next few posts

Last edited by 60beetle60 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

After driving it around for a few weeks, hit a spot of wet weather and with half of the windows rubbers leaking I decided it was a good time to get cracking with fixing it up a bit.

Started out getting a good grasp on how bad the rust was.

Around the engine lid will need attention

Putting it up on the lift definitely helps for getting your head underneath.

The previous battery tray repair was less than desirable, pop rivets and silicon holding it in.

Started stripping out the interior to get a better look, pretty happy with the condition of the salt and pepper interior. Will get some patch work done ob the seats then return them to service.

Door and interior panels all in good nick, nothing to be done here.

Getting a good look at the floor rust for the first time, both sides need work. Ended up ordering ISP West repair panels for both sides

After ripping out the battery tray "repair"

Was a bit annoyed to find rust hiding adjacent the rear seat after removing interior panels, will need to figure out how to address this later

60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Started with removing the kickboard

Kickboard is rusty and needs bottom 1" replaced in sections

It was about this point I got annoyed with the doors on the car

Test fitting the ISP West repair section

First big cut

Repair section tech screwed into position

Ongoing tacking into place. Followed the process of cut through panel and car floor with cutting disc in grinder to make one neat cut through both panels. Then bit of panel beating to align both and clamp into position for tack welding. Remove clamps and repeat process gradually working around the whole repair panel.

First repair section welded in and welds cleaned up.

Sub frame mount was test fitted before cutting the other side to confirm location of welded in brackets.

60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Second panel tech screwed in and tack welding in progress

Close up of the clamps after tacking in place

Fully tacked in

Welding in progress

Both sides fully welded. This is my first large size go at welding and rust repairs on a car and very happy with how its turned out

Garage shot during repairs

Coat of primer on the floors

That sums up progress to date, next steps are to
- Clean up and weld in the jacking points as I forgot all about them before giving it the primer coat.
- Give the floor a coat of black
- Rust repair in front passenger side guard
- Rust repair around engine bay
- Pull off rear fenders to asses rust adjacent rear seat
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

very nice work. Must be awesome to have a shop like that
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like a really nice car and I dig the originality. Nice work too!

Last edited by T3Yoshi on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Nice! my favorite bug color on a type 3? is that an Australia / New Zealand thing?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mid West Dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like a great car! Keen to see this all finished up
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Nice looking car there and way to get after those pan issues. Take your time in those corners but I think you have that under control. Cool Nice work all around!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Good looking car you picked up. Nice, complete, and unmolested for the most part. Looks like you're dealing with standard equipment rust. As for the rust on the sides under the rear seat, that starts when the seam sealer dries out, and falls out, rust starts there at that seam and slowly rusts thru. To fix it, you'll have to remove the rear fenders, so you can get to both sides.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Great now I have shop envy. Embarassed

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Nice car! And great job on welding in the pans, you’re not messing around! You sure it’s a 64 and not a 63? Reason I ask is because of the salt and pepper interior. Also, like everyone else here, I too have extreme garage envy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Nice car! And great job on welding in the pans, you’re not messing around! You sure it’s a 64 and not a 63? Reason I ask is because of the salt and pepper interior. Also, like everyone else here, I too have extreme garage envy.

Nope, Australian rules. Vinyl S&P seats for the 64's Wink

My old 64 RHD from Oz.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

Nope, Australian rules. Vinyl S&P seats for the 64's Wink

My old 64 RHD from Oz.

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Nice! my favorite bug color on a type 3? is that an Australia / New Zealand thing?

Definitely a '64, as notchboy pointed out Australia did a vinyl version of the s&p with the same pattern after the cloth type stopped. Australia did that colour on the Type 3's. Australia did all sorts of weird and wonderful things that never found their way to the rest of the world.
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Good looking car you picked up. Nice, complete, and unmolested for the most part. Looks like you're dealing with standard equipment rust. As for the rust on the sides under the rear seat, that starts when the seam sealer dries out, and falls out, rust starts there at that seam and slowly rusts thru. To fix it, you'll have to remove the rear fenders, so you can get to both sides.

Yeah it hasn't been messed with which is nice, part of the appeal to when I bought this one. That's the plan, rip all the guards off and have a look at the rust beneath
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

60beetle60 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Yeah it hasn't been messed with which is nice, part of the appeal to when I bought this one. That's the plan, rip all the guards off and have a look at the rust beneath

Good plan. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Got round to welding the jacking points back in place and giving them a coat of primer to suit the pans.

Also had a poke around the rust by the front wheel, as to be expected the rust grows the more I look

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Still looks like standard equipment rust to me. The more you keep digging, the more you'll find. It's just the nature of the beast.
You're doing it the right way though. It's just a slow process to cut the rot out, and patch it in. It could be worse though, in that you could have gotten a project like Clatter's, that had been hit and poorly repaired. Shocked Even he admitted that he would have rather repaired a rusty car. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Not jealous of that shop... Not at all.. Drool

It would be about killing me to not see what the pan seal area looked like on that one.
That seal can hold rust.
Looking at yours, my bet is you’ll want to pull the body in order to fix it correctly.

Looks like you have room to store stuff,
And,
Having your own lift,
It couldn’t be much better easier. Wink

Almost like cheating! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
60beetle60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Australian 1964 1500N Bahama Blue Squareback Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Not jealous of that shop... Not at all.. Drool

It would be about killing me to not see what the pan seal area looked like on that one.
That seal can hold rust.
Looking at yours, my bet is you’ll want to pull the body in order to fix it correctly.

Looks like you have room to store stuff,
And,
Having your own lift,
It couldn’t be much better easier. Wink

Almost like cheating! Very Happy

The more I dig the more I agree. I keep finding more areas were it will help to take the body off. And you're not wrong, with storage room and the lift I run out of excuses not to pretty quickly
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: