Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

You can get a brand new Vanagon 1.6TD oil pan for ~$200 shipped. Just a data point.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Thanks. I cannot seem to get above 7 psi. boost. More fuel?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Would it be okay to advance the max fuel screw by a full turn?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Going for a half turn. Be back with results.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

As I recall, you don't have an LDA which meters fuel based on boost. I'm far from an expert but I'd be very careful adding too much fuel.

Also, if you are not reading EGT temps, too much fuel can melt your pistons long before you see water temps rise - speaking from experience here.

That said, 1/2 turn shouldn't hurt - enough to hit 8-10 psi would be where I'd stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Hey thanks, I have an EGT gauge and I look at it a lot. I realize now that I am kind of on my own as far as liability.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

As for tonight I think I am done.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

A good days work - glad to hear you watch EGTs - turn away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Thanks.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So a half turn really didn't do much. It is the same old thing of speed shifting and flooring it constantly. I did get boost up to 8 whilst flooring it in 4th but that was fleeting. Oil temps got up to 180 deg. It has been a great learning experience but I'm starting to think that I should have put the money into a 1.9 TDI or TD conversion.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

EGT's never got above 700-800 max.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
EGT's never got above 700-800 max.

I guess you could turn it in a tad more then but I doubt it will add as much as you were hoping for. A 1.6 in a 4000 lb vehicle is not a good choice if you were looking for decent speed/power.

Plenty of folks get along well with them though. Reliable and decent mileage - just slow.

180 oil temps is perfect
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I didn't read the whole thing, just took a peek at the Hans site for the kit linked in the 1st post
but I wonder what size that turbo really equates to?

I had a K24 from a quantum 1.6TD in my van (and the quantum originally)
it struggled in the van on big hills, would stay slow if you had to get out of it.
iirc the wastegate was limited to ~8psi oem

I then upgraded the turbo to a smaller K14 (eco-diesel or european 1.7TD) and it was much more responsive, almost quick and in general a pleasure to drive.. took that motor NY to FL and didn't lack on the highway (teamed with a air cooled transaxle)

so 8 psi is enough to keep pace with basic traffic.. it's no rocket ship but it's driveable.. with the smaller turbo I could let off the throttle on a hill when I encountered a truck and regain boost to pass said truck. w/the K24 I would still have to follow the truck up the truck lane..

all this was with a LDA boost sensitive injection pump.

so w/o boost enrichment you may be at your limits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

To danfromsyr,
Hey, I swapped out the whole Hans kit for a DIY kit that I put together myself. The turbo is a real KKK K03 sourced from good old TheSamba.com. To you both, thanks for the sage advice.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Turbo was NOS.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Transmission is 5 speed from an 1989 vehicle. Doka truck as I am told.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Transmission is 5 speed from an 1989 vehicle. Doka truck as I am told.

What is your speed in 5th at 3500 rpm?

You may try plugging the hose to the waste gate (the dash-pot). This will keep it from opening and allow your max pump/fuel to determine boost cut-off.

I've been running with my waste gate wired shut for several years.
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Plugging the line to the wastegate is a good test. The AAZ K03 turbo is spec’d at 9-12 psi wide open throttle in 2nd gear, best tested accelerating or climbing a hill.

Adjusting the fueling on a non-turbo pump is a trade off between excessive smoke and power. Too much fuel gives lots of black smoke and high EGTs climbing hills, not to mention worse fuel economy.

Brent
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I will try plugging the distress tube, I mean waste gate. I don't have a tach so I can't do those ratios. One day.. Going to take a spin in a few though and try driving a bit harder. Confidence...
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Also lucky for me, I live near the east coast and the land is really flat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: