Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

That Honda is sooo F'n KOOL!...I need more pics like that to remind me to get my shit together Laughing Laughing
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of people destroy rare old cars to make something lame... (how many Anglias have been turned into the same dumb dragsters?) but at least this one should turn out interesting and be like nothing else out there. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Thanks for all your support. ..to tell the truth the Fiat was already a basket case when I found the car. ..no floors, no rear suspension other than the parts from a quad axle that was being installed by the guy I bought it from. ..if it were not for the clean title in his name with a non-op I wouldn't of got the car. (in CA, once all fees are up to date after title transfer you can purchase a non-op which will keep any future fees from accruing...so if it takes 5yrs to complete your project, it's like you walked in the next day and buy current tags)

I also picked up this from the same guy...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2234 is going to be ready to go next time home and I am so excited to pull some wheelies. ..I'm not sure on the weight but it can't be more than a 1000lbs...the guy I got it from installed all new wiring, brakes. ..he kept the 1600dp engine so I got it for a good price. ..no off road abuse with the Kellison Super T...my plan is to go as low as possible with the suspension and go with 8" front rims and 10" in back and redo the top in aluminum.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

That looks rather cartoonish! Looks like a blast!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Basically a Berry's Mini T. No...NOT "Barris". The little beak on the front says it probably is not a Berry's, but a knock-off. Fairly popular body shell back in the day.

There's even an AMT model kit of it in 1/25 scale, currently available as they re-issued it recently. That one comes with a 36hp engine with dual Solex 1bbl carbs, as that's how the full scale one they modeled it from was equipped in the '60s.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

The difference between a Berry mini T and a Kellison was a few tweeks. ...all Berry's had a windshield wider at the top, the Kellison had a laid down dash and rib lines in the fenders. ...I might cut the windshield 2" and redo the top in aluminum maybe even a solid front axle conversion to set the vibe. ..I don't think anyone else has combined the old style with one of these kits before...I'll do some research on that, thanks for your impute. Cool
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I've seen a Berry's used as an offroad racer's pre-runner. Had tubing inner structure like a race Baja Bug, caged from bumper to bumper and beam to torsion housing, big shocks on the rear with 0x1 1600 race type rear arms. Fuel cell in the "Pickup Bed".

I like the rear fender shape better on your yellow buggy (I presume from your comment above that yours is a Kellison) than on a Berry's.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Be prepared for some updates. ..I know that I have been away for awhile but I promise you that I will not stop the updates. ..I am a truck driver OTR so please bear with me. ..I do have some more pictures to share. ..with Christmas done and over with I can now continue my journey. Rolling Eyes
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

So here is a picture of the shock cover. ..

And another one showing both of the covers in place, Bob is the gentleman on the left. ..a true friendship with Bob has developed with my build...his new shop is up and running because I wired everything from scratch. ...he did lend a hand now and then. ..Bob is a true artist. ..he should have is own show! !

I asked Bob to send me a picture of the battery tray cuz he was still working on it when I took the pictures. ..I hope that I can share with you the progress Sad
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the battery tray

Battery insert was from Summit racing. ..it's for a gel cell battery.
Throttle cable is no longer required with the new TDI engine so I will be removing that cable, the TDI has a electronic throttle pedal.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Love seeing updates for this build!! keep it up!
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:
Love seeing updates for this build!! keep it up!

Thanks for the support Stauffenberg. ..I'm kind of thinking about this project reminds me of a scab, lol....you keep picking at it until the scab is gone! ...to be honest with my fans I have almost given up this build several times...being a OTR truck driver is an emotional draining job to deal with the long hours holding on to a steering wheel every single day Sad ...then on my home time (my time to relax) it's 14-16 hours every day picking off needed to be done items that I have to do to get the Fiat finished. ..when I first saw the Fiat I had a vision in my head what I wanted to do with the little car...dreaming of a vision and creating that vision are on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum Laughing ...I have watched way too many car shows in my days Embarassed ....I know now that I can't build a car in 1 hour d'oh! Shame on you

My goal is to have all the rough mock up completed before the end of summer, then it's off to the blaster and coating place. ..I appreciate all of your encouragement you guys show me and I thank you all!
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Very cool build. I was just in your neck of the woods, looking to get out of this freaking state!
poeticlydead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Still looking good, been awhile on the updates (though I'm not any better about it myself). How is all the metal work coming?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

My guess is for every hour of build time, there are four hours of virtual building and rebuilding in that corner of the mind that loves the puzzle. That over the road meditation is where the Flea gets built. Out here is where the dream gets shared. Phenomenal dream. Phenomenal build.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

VeeWeeMan,

It is a great project and not a sprint, I definitely cycle through optimism and despair with all my projects. There is a tough balance of good enough versus perfect; although there is a big difference in cost and time.

Perhaps reflect on the goal of this project and the desired end-point; is it a show car or a toy?

This is a really cool car!
poeticlydead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

How goes the Tiny Flea?
hendersoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Update time?
poeticlydead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

wonder if this project ever got completed it was a super unique build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: