Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

'59 Lowlight with a Denzel engine sold for $64k at Gooding this weekend. One of the few cars to sell substantially higher than the minimum estimate.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1959-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

Beautiful, but no dash pad, gas tank wrong color and '58 horn badge...but then again it does have that Denzel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

McFunzeepants wrote:
Beautiful, but no dash pad, gas tank wrong color and '58 horn badge...but then again it does have that Denzel

The gas tank color would be a deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't go a penny above 62 Grand. Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

Nice car and the Denzel engine would be sweet.

1. It bugs me that it has that crappy unsecured fuel filter on the fuel outlet
2. Hate the red trim rings, I'd ditch those ASAP

Easy stuff to fix though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

McFunzeepants wrote:

A '59 had a dash pad?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

Is that interior color scheme even correct?

I tried looking it up in the Karmann Ghia Paint/Interior Info found here on The Samba, but I'm a bit confused as to which possible colors would apply to that particular car.
IIRC, the August thru July model year scheme didn't begin until the early 1960s so I believe you'd need to know the VIN - is that correct?

Something about that combination of black vinyl and brown/red cloth just doesn't look right to me.

What do you suppose the value of a Denzel engine like that would be just by itself?
Could it really be worth $25k-ish? Shocked
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Is that interior color scheme even correct?

No the upholstery is incorrect but hey, who am I to criticise but inexcusable it doesn't have an original rubber bulkhead and floor mat set when they are readily available. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

My original May 12, 1959 build lowlight has a dash pad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
What do you suppose the value of a Denzel engine like that would be just by itself?
Could it really be worth $25k-ish? Shocked

The Engine alone? It may seem crazy but I believe Yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

I was looking up old Denzel engines to see if there were any prices here (not really) and I saw this car was for sale on this recently for $85K:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2220441

I wonder if they got less than they wanted?
Maybe $85K was too much to begin with.

More pics at
http://www.oldbug.com/denzghia.htm
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but is the side badge supposed to be the "bat wing" version?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

I'm assuming this brilliant red 1959 coupe was built late (Nov. Dec.) 1958 as it still has the curved metal dash which wouldn't have the black padded ribbed dash yet. I believe the black padded ribbed dash began in January 1959.

This 1959 would have left the factory with a brilliant red gas tank and a beige interior. The black gas tank would be correct if it had been a replacement tank because I doubt you could go to a VW dealer and specify which color tank you needed and that it would be in stock. I'm sure that for the extra money the VW dealer would be happy to paint it to match your car.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that it has the wrong wiper blades, shifter knob, hood pull release, ebrake boot and wrong visor assembly.

Yes, it should have the batwing style Karmann Ghia body badge.

I've been told that the Denzel engine is quite rare, desirable and that $20,000-$30,000 wouldn't be a crazy price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
I'm assuming this brilliant red 1959 coupe was built late (Nov. Dec.) 1958 as it still has the curved metal dash which wouldn't have the black padded ribbed dash yet. I believe the black padded ribbed dash began in January 1959.

This 1959 would have left the factory with a brilliant red gas tank and a beige interior. The black gas tank would be correct if it had been a replacement tank because I doubt you could go to a VW dealer and specify which color tank you needed and that it would be in stock. I'm sure that for the extra money the VW dealer would be happy to paint it to match your car.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that it has the wrong wiper blades, shifter knob, hood pull release, ebrake boot and wrong visor assembly.

Yes, it should have the batwing style Karmann Ghia body badge.

I've been told that the Denzel engine is quite rare, desirable and that $20,000-$30,000 wouldn't be a crazy price.

The door panels are wrong too. Sewed seams, looks like cloth inserts...
A lot wrong with this car, obviously wrong for someone who knows them, but that's not who buys at these auctions. Likely there are not a lot of nice early resorted Ghias going up for auction so for these buyers it's a novelty. Sort of like with split buses a few years ago.
Once the fly by night restorers get a sense there is a market they will start buying them up and doing quick and incorrect "restorations" that people who know the cars will laugh about, but the clueless with deep pockets will buy up.
Eventually the market will get over saturated, buyers will get pickier, the wheat will get sperated from the chaff and prices for poorly done common cars will fall while nicely done and unusual models will hold value.
I wonder about the Denzel engine premium. Who even knows about them other than VW and Denzel people? Wouldn't they also then know the cars better and be more picky about the restoration?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

I have an unrestored May 1959 Cognac coupe that doesn't have a dash pad, and can't see any evidence it ever had one.

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
johncocke356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

Small screws under the dash lip indicating the aluminum trim piece was there, hence a dash pad.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

My brother has a 59 that doesnt have a pad either. I dont see screw holes anywhere. I had it to bare metal too.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

Jason, maybe your brothers is a "late" 58 (59 years model with different shaped metal dash).

Because just like theghiagirl replied the shape of the metal reveals if it should have a padding or not. And all 59,s certainly didnīt have the metalstrip either.
They where glued on, often cracked and once removed you actually canīt tell if it has been there or not...

Cheers/Jonas

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

holy cow.
that is a lot of Money for this car.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
McFunzeepants wrote:

The gas tank color would be a deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't go a penny above 62 Grand. Wink

dealbraker for me are the upholstery, the wrong side badge, wrong Gastank Color. it is a nice car. but to expensive for this condition
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: