Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you change oil light bulb?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

This might sound like a stupid question but I checked the forum and couldn't find the answer to how to change the oil light bulb in the dashboard of a 1967 bus? As the light isn't coming on, and I've checked that I'm getting power to the oil switch, which I am, and I changed the sender switch with a new one I just happen to have but that didn't help. So I'm assuming its the bulb and wondering if there's a procedure to get it out? Thanks

Last edited by CheapBusForSale on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

The bulb holder just pulls out of the socket. You will need a 12 volt bulb.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Yup, it just pulls out, but I'd suggest pulling it out with the wire still on the holder. It makes it easier to push back in being able to hang onto the wire.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

CheapBusForSale wrote:
...how to change the oil light bulb...

Just wanted to add that if you have the means to use a mirror, bright light, and good small slot screwdriver to pry under the bulb holder it might be better that pulling on the spade to yank it out. The round fiber insulator gets brittle with heat and age and the brass bulb holders crack from bulb heat so it's easy to waste one pulling on the spade. A lot of times they just as easily almost fall out with a little pull so test it first.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Thanks, I got the bulb out but it doesn't appear to be blown and after hooking my test light up to the wire under the dash I'm not getting any power with the key on? And so far I've checked the fuse, checked that I'm getting power at the sensor, which I am, and change the sensor itself with a new one. Hmm?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

What wire under the dash?

The oil and generator lights get power from the same terminal in the bottom center of the speedo so if your generator light works and the oil light doesn't, the issue is the oil light itself or the sender.

If you ground the oil pressure sender wire in the engine compartment, the light should go on with the key.
This eliminates the sender from the pathway and lets you test the function of the light.

Bottom circle here should have power when the key is on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It powers the 2 outer bulbs (generator and oil) which acts as grounds through their connections in the engine compartment
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I thought and I tried to ground The Wire that goes on the sensor but it just made the wire smoke a little before I quickly disconnected it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

It sounds like something is wired wrong, I don't think there should be a power reading at the oil sender end of the wire so it shouldn't spark or short out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Even though I'm not making much headway I think you might be right Everrt, as after looking at it again I noticed another wire (the green one) behind the manifold I didn't see that has no power with or without the key on and doesn't turn on the bulb when grounded. Then the wire I thought went to the sensor which has power when the key is on. Hmm? Should I try changing the bulb with the new one even though it doesn't look bad?

Last edited by CheapBusForSale on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

I'm not sure why there are 2 wires there but it's probably worth tracing them to see where they go.

Yes, you could swap out the bulb with a known good one as a test.

You could do this:
1. Remove the wire from the oil light bulb and tape it off so it doesn't spark on anything
2. One at a time for each wire by the sender, put a jumper on there from the battery so it has power running through it. You can use the coil too, hook into the coil power side, which powers up when the key is on.
3. Go up front and remove the tape from the oil sender wire and put a meter on it to see if it has power now.
It if it does, then you know the wire you put power to by the sender is the wire that goes to the oil sender wire up front.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Thanks, I just tried doing what you wrote and the green wire I found this morning gets power to it upfront with a jumper on it from the battery but the bulb still doesn't light even though I'm getting power through the wire. So I'm assuming it's the bulb, which looks like I'll have to order online as they don't seem to sell them around here.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

CheapBusForSale wrote:
I got the bulb out but it doesn't appear to be blown.

If you have a way to do it, touch the bulb outer part to negative battery and hold a wire to the center bulb contact from the positive battery.

CheapBusForSale wrote:
Thanks, I just tried doing what you wrote and the green wire I found this morning gets power to it upfront with a jumper on it from the battery but the bulb still doesn't light even though I'm getting power through the wire. So I'm assuming it's the bulb....

Try having the bulb in the speedo, key on, then touch a wire from the spade of the oil bulb to a screw holding the wiper or light switch to the dash (ground).

CheapBusForSale wrote:
Then the wire I thought went to the sensor which has power when the key is on. Hmm?

Isn't that your choke and pilot solenoid wire?
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Just so he's clear on this.

The oil sender is the ground switch for the oil light bulb. Power goes from the speedo, through the bulb, to the oil sender, to ground (with no oil pressure).

So...bulb in place, wire off bulb holder. Ground the spade on holder, key on. light should light.
No? Test for power to speedo. (top and bottom spades on speedo)
Yes? replace wire on bulb. remove wire from sender. Key on , test for power.
No power? Broken wire. replace.

Yes Power? ground the wire. Key on. oil light on?

No? Leave it grounded and begin to probe the circuit at all the connections with a test light. You may find that you have a resistance on the power in that circuit.

This is where it get a bit tougher. Do the power tests again at the speedo, but with something that draws at least an amp or two. Like a headlight bulb.

There I think I've made this clear as mud. Good luck.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

I thought this was going to be joke. Cool

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Okay so I found a new bulb at a local parts house and this one does light with the key on but only with a jumper cable from the
wire to the battery. And I've tried 3 different senders with still no luck and will go ahead and try would you
wrote above
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Also, it might not have anything to do with the trouble I'm having, but after looking at the new sender and the old one I noticed that the threads on the new one don't go all the way up to the sender itself like the old one and wondering is its possible I'm using the wrong sender? Also can the fact that this engine has never been cranked or started have anything to do with it?

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

CheapBusForSale wrote:
... is its possible I'm using the wrong sender?

Not unless the psi rating is different or it's not a N.C. (normally closed). Don't over tighten it but make it snug.

CheapBusForSale wrote:
Also can the fact that this engine has never been cranked or started have anything to do with it?

No, but are you certain you have a ground strap going from front of trans to the frame?
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Yeah I had thought about that Berry as I just recently put a new transmission mount on the bus but after looking at it yesterday the ground strap is hooked up and appears to be okay.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

I figured it out! Which was the new sensor was defective. So thanks for all your help!
lodgeskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change oil light bulb? Reply with quote

Anyone have a good pic of what the back of the speedo should look like with all of the connections made? From what I can tell mine is missing the bulbs, but I'm wondering if there are also missing bulb holders (with a wire connection) or if the bulbs just go into the holes as seen in the pic that EverettB posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: