Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

good find for $1000?
yes
95%
 95%  [ 40 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Well I found my first real rust repair.... Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

$1000 for that bus was a smokin' deal. Great find!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Bmxmarine wrote:
Well I found my first real rust repair.... Sad

For many, if not most recent buyers of old VW's, this is barely even considered rust by comparison. You actually have a floor, with a hole. More often there is a hole, with small patches of floor.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

[quote="cdennisg"]
Bmxmarine wrote:
Well I found my first real rust repair...

For many, if not most recent buyers of old VW's, this is barely even considered rust by comparison. You actually have a floor, with a hole. More often there is a hole, with small patches of floor.

Believe me I know... I’m thankful. I know there was going to me some I just didn’t know where I would find it. I’m glad this is what I found instead of a hole with some floor. Smile I’m used to my bugs where I just take the body off and repair. Busses are a little weird for me, but I’m learning.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

So it’s official the motor is on order. Now just have to wait for that to come in. This weekend I look to pull the transmission and old motor to see what kind of shape mounts and everything else is in maybe even get a little cleaning in. Very Happy
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Did I miss the picture of the Sunroof?

You got a good one. Looks great.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

so after a long bit here is the update on the bus.

roy and the crew from mofoco got everything sourced and finished up on the motor and it will be here soon.

thanks to them for building an awesome looking motor and everything.
I also had them rebuild the transmission while we were at it.

so the plan moving forward is to finish cleaning up the garage so i can get back to work on the bus and to find a shop that can do the rust repair for me or buy a welder and do the work myself, id like to do the later but that would be a little bit much where i am living....well here is to hoping....

Link
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Congrats on the new motor. You should ask them to clock that distributor in the block correctly. It's positioned 90° counterclockwise based on how the vacuum canister is pointing.

Also, there's a lot of new Chinese parts on that engine that you need to keep an eye on. The fuel pump; make sure it has "C" clips holding the rocker pin in place so it doesn't back out as they often do. The pulley on the Alternator is also known to fail in not too short of a time. The distributor appears to be a Chinese copy of the 034 and fail often when they work correctly at all.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but rather, making sure you're aware of those parts and their known low quality. It's sad that we can't buy new OE quality parts anymore and are stuck with the Chinese parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

That aluminum degree pulley probably should go, too. It is smaller diameter and of lower quality than a good stock, steel pulley. Smaller diameter means your cooling fan is spinning slower than stock. That is not good, especially in a bus.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

and to add to the fun...

the Chinese intake manifold is a motherfucking joke. I spent the better part of a day making it fit and chasing my tail with exhaust leaks...

the heat riser simply slips into a poor excuse of a casting. long story short I had a distinct "TICK" under load that had me smoke the exhaust. after far too much time, I finally saw a poof of smoke at the heat riser.

I would rather have all 3 pieces of that manifold stuffed in my anus and pried 3 different directions than use one again. I fought, it's what the customer brought me. never again....

not trying to shit on you at all...just beware of the possible issues the aftermarket shit holds in store.

yea, that dist drive is either off or the Chinese can't clone a distributor right either

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Congrats on the new motor. You should ask them to clock that distributor in the block correctly. It's positioned 90° counterclockwise based on how the vacuum canister is pointing.

Also, there's a lot of new Chinese parts on that engine that you need to keep an eye on. The fuel pump; make sure it has "C" clips holding the rocker pin in place so it doesn't back out as they often do. The pulley on the Alternator is also known to fail in not too short of a time. The distributor appears to be a Chinese copy of the 034 and fail often when they work correctly at all.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but rather, making sure you're aware of those parts and their known low quality. It's sad that we can't buy new OE quality parts anymore and are stuck with the Chinese parts.
The fuel pump is probably Brosol and the pivot pin WILL fall out at some point. In my case it was on a freezing cold day and I couldn’t figure out why I suddenly had no fuel flow until I saw the pin was gone. Brand new engine by a reliable builder. I was lucky in two senses. I was less than a mile from home and after I looked around town and found a suitable pin I found the original laying right below the fuel pump. This Has been a known issue with Brosol for years and they absolutely don’t care. I fashioned an end plate setup so it can’t walk out either end. Others have their own fixes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
The fuel pump is probably Brosol and the pivot pin WILL fall out at some point. In my case it was on a freezing cold day and I couldn’t figure out why I suddenly had no fuel flow until I saw the pin was gone. Brand new engine by a reliable builder. I was lucky in two senses. I was less than a mile from home and after I looked around town and found a suitable pin I found the original laying right below the fuel pump. This Has been a known issue with Brosol for years and they absolutely don’t care. I fashioned an end plate setup so it can’t walk out either end. Others have their own fixes.

Yup, you're right on point Tom. Here's a craptastic Brazilian fuel pump that was on my bus when I first bought it. No "C" clips and it left me on the side of the road a few weeks after I bought the bus. I had no tools on me and had to be towed home. I hadn't had a chance to change it.

I also tired of the crappy aftermarket pumps. The "C" clips are only part of the problem. Most of them also put out far too high of fuel pressure as well. Many are reported to be 6 PSI or more. They should only put out 3psi for our carbs.

It kind of lead me to starting to rebuild and sell the German Pierburg fuel pumps though I focus more on the restored distributors. I run restored German Pierburg fuel pumps that I restored on my VW's. They are simply a high quality part that are easily rebuildable. They last for decades too.

This is a good picture I took of what the 71' dual port engines came with when new. A dome top Pierburg fuel pump. I restored this one for my 71' bus engine. It has the "C" clips so the pin will never back out. You can see what it's putting out for fuel pressure as well with nothing more than one gasket under the bakelite stand and one under the fuel pump. I also epoxy the inlet/outlet tubes in the body so they won't ever come out, even with a knuckle head YANKING on the fuel lines when removing them. People should be slitting the fuel lines lengthwise with a razor blade down the length of the tube to relieve the gripping pressure from the hose off the tubes. Then, peal the hose off the tube. Never PULL or Yank on the hose while removing it.

So many VW's have burned to the ground due to a tube falling out of a carb or fuel pump due to this exact reason.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

So my transmission came in today! Big thanks to Roy and the guys At mofoco I don’t know ho whey got it to look so new!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Bmxmarine wrote:
So my transmission came in today! Big thanks to Roy and the guys At mofoco I don’t know how they got it to look so new!

They painted it.

My name is "Amskeptic". I invite you to be skeptical. After seventeen years of traveling the country helping people get their Volkswagens on the road, I don't get my hopes up with shiny/pretty. True for engines, transaxles and entire automobiles.

We will be here to share in your joy after the transaxle has taken you out on a test drive and it shifts and runs quietly. If the transaxle paint wipes off with your first cleaning, don't worry. They came from the factory unpainted with a light spray of cosmoline wax thrown up on them from below.

P.S. I saw some photographs of that handsome grey interior. I pray that you find matching seat upholstery and demand the correct heat seam pattern. You have to demand it directly if you get it from TMI. Factory correct seat patterns for the deluxe model . . .

Are you putting in a new headliner? It can be done. I did it all alone over about three weeks of solvent-hell. Haven't been the same since'
Colin Razz

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Quote:
Haven't been the same since'

Will vouch for that. I have seen him travel in circles looking for something he is holding in his hand. Laughing
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
Bmxmarine wrote:
So my transmission came in today! Big thanks to Roy and the guys At mofoco I don’t know how they got it to look so new!

They painted it.

I know that, Smile I wish i had a picture of it when we took it out. There was an inch of hardened and dried oil and other crap I couldn’t get off. I tried degreasing it and pressure washing and everything, I chiseled some of it off and it took forever! I am pretty sure they hot tanked it and some other wizardry. They replaced a bunch of parts and hardware, I’m sure anyone rebuilding it like they did would. We will see how it goes once I take that test drive like you said. This will be my first rebuilt transaxle and I would assume they did a good job. The motor comes tomorrow and the harness and a long list of parts are getting ordered this week. There will be a lot of figuring out certain things as it was missing some parts but that’s the fun of it.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: so i started restoring my 70 sunroof bus Reply with quote

So most everything will be coming in this week, mechanically anyway. The goal is to get it drivable about 8 miles a day to get me back and forth to work till I sell the Mercedes and then that money will go into interior and other bits to finish up. Cleaned the garage and the engine bay up today to get ready. I just need to source some bolts that were missing when I got the bus and we should be ready to put it all back together.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: