Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: New Engine Reply with quote

I have been looking at putting in a new engine and tranny, since this is my first AC VW I dont know much about them. I want alot of power but I want the engine to last. I also don't want my Thing to fall apart or twist the frame. I have looked at Chico, Serranos,and Jake Raby.Is one better than the other? It seems like I would have to wait awhile with Jake Raby and wanted just the longblock, does he do that? I was thinking about a 1914cc 2110cc 2332cc. (Do those numbers sound right)
I was hoping I could use some of the old parts of my 1600 engine and just buy a new longblock. I have dual Weber 44s, an external oil cooler and was wondering if I could use the existing tin, valve covers, fan and shroud etc, etc. What engine parts are the same? Iwas also looking at the DTM shrouds in Serranos ads but that is alot of money.(399.00) But at the same time I would like to take 12 hour trips to Florida so its probaly worth it. I noticed a big differnce in price and some ads claim you are just paying for someones ego.Jake Raby talks about Type 4 conversions (what is that) As far as the tranny I was thinking Rancho, I was told they can build one that suits my needs. Any suggestions, advice, dos or don'ts?? Please educate me
Thank Again In Advance
Lyle
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice is to search the forums and especially the feedback one. Nothing can beat a brick and morter place near you for engine rebuilds. Hang out at the local shop ask questions & talk to customers.

Also, sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it to!

"I want alot of power but I want the engine to last. "

You gota choose one or the other. But a good mid ground would be 1776 or the 1914.

X
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the best advice that you can get is stay away from GEX.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Medic Ted.

Xeno not sure what your trying to say!!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:

Jake Raby talks about Type 4 conversions (what is that)

The type 4 conversions are motors from the type 4, late bus or Porsche 912 and 914. Stronger blocks that can be built up to 3 liters.

There are also motors being converted to air cooling from the watercooled vanagons.

Personlly I would go with a stock 2 liter from a bus and use the stock fan shroud from the Thing. Keep the fuel injection from the bus as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:
It seems like I would have to wait awhile with Jake Raby and wanted just the longblock, does he do that?
I was also looking at the DTM shrouds in Serranos ads but that is alot of money.(399.00)

You gotta have deep pockets to go with a Jake Raby engine - if you think $400 is a lot of money for a shroud, the price of one of Jake's engines will likely be too much for you.

I worked a side job specifically to pay for one of Jake's engines - don't be suprised if the price comes in over $10k. However, they're built very well and should provide excellent power for over 200k miles.

The Type4 was designed from the start as a bigger engine which means that for the same power as a Type1, you need less changes. Fewer changes mean you can get a decent life expectancy. You've got to do a lot of boring to a Type1 to get it to 2300cc, but not so much with a Type4. Also, the internals are beefier to handle more power - stronger bearings, heavier crank, etc. So, with a Type4, you CAN have your cake and eat it to - it just costs a lot more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly 400 dollars doesn't seem like like very much. I want to know more about these Jake Raby engines. How long will a beefed Type one last and what mods would I need for a type 4 engine besides the obvious tranny. I plan on keeping this Thing for a long time and I would rather do things right the first time.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I do NOT build longblocks- they are NOT engines!! They are nothing more than incomplete disasters waiting to happen that lack being proven, dyno tuning and most are never even fired up prior to being shipped.

It takes us 80 hours+ to build ONE engine, in 2006 we built only 18 engines the entire year. Most shops do that many engines in one month, and their development, standards and overall product are evident of that.
In 2007 I am offering some engines that I dug up from my old cook books before the days of all my R&D and its application to the engines that bear my name. These engines are cheaper, but still high quality as they are not as expensively developed, but are still more superior than anything available in the Type 1 world. These "sport" series engines are built faster, with less blueprint and balance work, and instead of 8-10 hours on the dyno they only see 1/4 that. These engines are up to 2142cc-

Listen to my weekly 4th Dimension Radio show that will be released tomorrow, it's all about the 2007 complete engine program here at my facility. Listen to it at the link in my signature. Also read

We are not fast, we are not cheap, but we are good and will build you the most developed aircooled engine that money can buy. If you want fast and cheap open up a magazine and find the biggest, most flashy ad.. Those are the guys that have no backlogs and need adverts to snag customers, here 80% of my business comes from 20% of my customer base- thats how many repeat customers we have.

Installing a Type 4 into a 181 is a true joy, I own one myself. forget about 3rd gear shift downs, forget about reliability issues and forget about "hot engines" as the Type 4 has 26% more cooling surfaces than a TI and that coupled to my extensively developed cooling system is a winning combination.

For examples of this, see the data logged results of my 2006 trip cross country when I crossed the US in 4.5 days at an average speed of 76 MPH for 3,450 miles! I crossed the continental divide and averaged 71 MPH to the top of it- thats a 12,000 foot elevation! The engine was covered in the Hot VWs series "Type 4 Torquer from March through September 2006, and then it was a test engine all the way cross country. When I got to the opposite coast I pulled 94 MPH in the QTR mile with it, before removing it from my car to give to the new owner, Ian Epperson that posted above... The car weighed 2500 pounds, a stock 66 beetle is usually 1800 pounds, thats how much computer and test gear/tools we had in the car!

All data was streamed to the net LIVE as we drove, follow us on the trip at www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry
click on the links, look at the data and remember this is a true 170HP daily driver that drove cross country with ZERO maintenance, nothing was "worked on" and we were driving like mad! I made it from Chicago to Denver in ONE DAY, 23 hours straight at 80 MPH+! Watch the video on the link I posted above and you'll see how we ran 90+ MPH for 15-20 miles at a time! In "Nowhere" Nevada we averaged 88 MPH over a 67 mile span, most of the time we were at 100 MPH+, but only turning 4300 RPM, the engine speed that a stock 181 runs at 75 MPH or less!

Average gas mileage was still 23 MPG for the entire trip. I develop efficiency and then put it to work. It works, thats how we stay 7+ months backlogged with zero adverts in the magazine and periodicals... Smile
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
No, I do NOT build longblocks- they are NOT engines!! They are nothing more than incomplete disasters waiting to happen that lack being proven, dyno tuning and most are never even fired up prior to being shipped.

It takes us 80 hours+ to build ONE engine, in 2006 we built only 18 engines the entire year. Most shops do that many engines in one month, and their development, standards and overall product are evident of that.
In 2007 I am offering some engines that I dug up from my old cook books before the days of all my R&D and its application to the engines that bear my name. These engines are cheaper, but still high quality as they are not as expensively developed, but are still more superior than anything available in the Type 1 world. These "sport" series engines are built faster, with less blueprint and balance work, and instead of 8-10 hours on the dyno they only see 1/4 that. These engines are up to 2142cc-

Listen to my weekly 4th Dimension Radio show that will be released tomorrow, it's all about the 2007 complete engine program here at my facility. Listen to it at the link in my signature. Also read

We are not fast, we are not cheap, but we are good and will build you the most developed aircooled engine that money can buy. If you want fast and cheap open up a magazine and find the biggest, most flashy ad.. Those are the guys that have no backlogs and need adverts to snag customers, here 80% of my business comes from 20% of my customer base- thats how many repeat customers we have.

Installing a Type 4 into a 181 is a true joy, I own one myself. forget about 3rd gear shift downs, forget about reliability issues and forget about "hot engines" as the Type 4 has 26% more cooling surfaces than a TI and that coupled to my extensively developed cooling system is a winning combination.

For examples of this, see the data logged results of my 2006 trip cross country when I crossed the US in 4.5 days at an average speed of 76 MPH for 3,450 miles! I crossed the continental divide and averaged 71 MPH to the top of it- thats a 12,000 foot elevation! The engine was covered in the Hot VWs series "Type 4 Torquer from March through September 2006, and then it was a test engine all the way cross country. When I got to the opposite coast I pulled 94 MPH in the QTR mile with it, before removing it from my car to give to the new owner, Ian Epperson that posted above... The car weighed 2500 pounds, a stock 66 beetle is usually 1800 pounds, thats how much computer and test gear/tools we had in the car!

All data was streamed to the net LIVE as we drove, follow us on the trip at www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry
click on the links, look at the data and remember this is a true 170HP daily driver that drove cross country with ZERO maintenance, nothing was "worked on" and we were driving like mad! I made it from Chicago to Denver in ONE DAY, 23 hours straight at 80 MPH+! Watch the video on the link I posted above and you'll see how we ran 90+ MPH for 15-20 miles at a time! In "Nowhere" Nevada we averaged 88 MPH over a 67 mile span, most of the time we were at 100 MPH+, but only turning 4300 RPM, the engine speed that a stock 181 runs at 75 MPH or less!

Average gas mileage was still 23 MPG for the entire trip. I develop efficiency and then put it to work. It works, thats how we stay 7+ months backlogged with zero adverts in the magazine and periodicals... Smile

What is up with the T4 Store website? No pricing, no product info, and no way to get tech support. Is that how you always run your website? Id like to find the current cost of a T4 DTM shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt try this link
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/cooling/index2.shtml

Lyle
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Basic pricing info is located there. Thank you again.
M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concidering a T4, I would get this and read it. Jake probably has them on his site also I did not look. Even if you get a motor and or DTM, from Jake I would think this worth reading. Selling your 73 shroud, (if yours is not a 74), maybe will get you a couple hundred to invest in a DT M.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BVB0001&cartid=

Here is the actual nextgen site --you get it direct from Joe and read about the book.
http://www.nextgen-usa.com/
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Ok it’s time to wake up an old thread.
It’s been 11+ years but it’s finally happened. It actually happened 11 years ago but the engine sat in my garage. Jake did his part but unfortunately life got in the way and I let the engine sit in my garage until my wife said why don’t you just send the car to Jake and have him finish it for you. I contacted Jake in 2017 and he agreed to take on the job. I dropped the car off to Jake in November of 2017 with the understanding that he would put me on the schedule and get to it once he finished up pending jobs. To me it was no problem waiting and I can tell you that Jake was in constant communication with me every step of the way. A true professional and the end result is amazing. My Thing went from a Type 1 motor that was an underpowered oil leaking mess to a proper Type 481 work of genius. It’s hard for me to explain the amount power and torque that this car now possesses. It is still surreal to me every time I drive it. The attention to detail that Jake took is amazing and is obvious in the pictures I will post. In the end not only did I end up with a truly amazing vehicle and but I feel like I made a friend who believes in what he does and takes the time to explain an educate me as to what my part is in owning one of his engines. As he told me “It’s part of owning an Aircooled VW” he can’t be there to hold my hand but he will give you the information and it’s up to you to as to what you do with it. Last but not least Jake was very clear with me from the beginning as to what my expectations were and my budget and he did not exceed my budget but he did exceed my expectations that’s for sure.
Thanks Jake
Another satisfied customer
Lyle Mahler
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Congrats. What are the engine specs and how does it drive?

PS-clean up the inside of the engine decklid with a microfiber and some all purpose cleaner since you are not doing the beauty of your engine justice, and most of all enjoy your VW.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

I’ve tried everything to clean that decklid. The old motor spewed so much oil that I can’t get it any cleaner. Same with parts of the engine compartment It’s to the point now that if I try it starts to remove the undercoating. Eventually I’ll have it painted or I’ll use spray in bed liner.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Try some DAWN dish soap. That stuff really works. Have used it on many very greasy things and it just works and does not bother the paint.
GB
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

I steam cleaned the entire engine bay.. What you are seeing is stained.

I really enjoyed this one.. Most of the time it was like therapy😎
Having just finished my 481 after being off the road for 19 years, l carried a lot of momentum into Lyle’s project...
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Reply with quote

Jake and Lyle,

Glad to hear you were able to find time to get your Things worked out!

If I had to guess, it looks like Lyle has a Tangerine Racing exhaust, but Jake's looks like a custom job.

I've thought about bringing my 2270 "481" to Cleveland for a pilgrimage and possible enhancement.
Is it true that old-timey Raby engine owners can get a free EFI system if they show up at the shop?
Just kidding...but maybe we should talk.

Hope all is well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: