Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROSCO320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi everyone and Happy New year!

I bought a 1973 1303 last week which is a complete blank canvas ( sat in barn for last 9 years ). Im starting with the chassis which, so far is solid. My intention is to run 18" wheels with wide wings/fenders. Here's my 1st of many questions. Should I buy standard hight suspension/ adjustable? Should I consider narrow beam?( if thats even an option ) How do I convert to 5 lug? The list goes on? Any help greatly appreciated .

Thank you

Ross
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Welcome Ross!

I think you'll be better off starting a new thread dedicated to your new 1303. You'll get many good responses to all of your questions that way, rather than using this random topics thread.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROSCO320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cheers vamram!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question I need to figure out...

My key has a different cut on each side. When the ignition switch is at rest, which side is the one that matters? Top or bottom? I think a PO had the other side cut to match the doors, but those door locks are long gone...
John2948
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My first post...I think.

Heres a little background. I got my 69 a year ago, ripped the interior out, dealt with rust, and painted the pan. I also have an engine I'm working on.

What would be my next steps while the whole interior is out?

Thanks in advance.
Edubnogales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

69 vw beetle...3 wires under the rear driver's side seat. There used to be a module of some sort there that I lost and never knew what it was for. Any insight?
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

John2948 wrote:
My first post...I think.

Heres a little background. I got my 69 a year ago, ripped the interior out, dealt with rust, and painted the pan. I also have an engine I'm working on.

What would be my next steps while the whole interior is out?

Thanks in advance.

Sound deadening mats?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

YES! That area is an echo chamber as bare steel.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
CHEF Big DOG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1972 super beetle. What the f--k goes in the transmission? Gear oil?(if so what gear oil) nothing? ATF?(doubt)

Bonnie The 72 Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

CHEF Big DOG wrote:
1972 super beetle. What the f--k goes in the transmission? Gear oil?(if so what gear oil) nothing? ATF?(doubt)

80W-90 gear oil. Be sure to get the little pump that screws onto the bottles. This assumes that you have a manual transmission. You'll need a 17mm allen wrench, and with a 17mm combination wrench on that for leverage as you hold the allen wrench parallel. And remove the FILL plug first.

Autosticks are different.

There are owner's manuals here in the Tech Section, they will tell you stuff like this. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
CHEF Big DOG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

80W-90 gear oil. Be sure to get the little pump that screws onto the bottles. This assumes that you have a manual transmission. You'll need a 17mm allen wrench, and with a 17mm combination wrench on that for leverage as you hold the allen wrench parallel. And remove the FILL plug first.

Thank you.

Bonnie The 72 Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I use 75-90 synthetic gear lube, the trans shift better with it and I dont use the pump I just use the bottle there is enough room to stick it in the hole and tilt up and squeezzee.I also over fill mine about a quart...or so to be sure the main shaft bearings get plenty of lube...and no leeks either.
SCBaja29841
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

With an aftermarket cam + lifters combo and a 1776 engine will I need a larger than stock carburetor (I'm running 34 PICT 3)?

I don't know exactly what cam I have (I don't work on the car everyday and didn't keep the paperwork for the camshaft...)

I don't have dual carbs but I'm willing to at least upgrade to a Weber/Dellorto (or the EMPI carb kits I've seen).

Last edited by SCBaja29841 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I had to replace the turn signal on my '74 a couple of days ago and found this other turn signal in my parts stash. Does anyone know what model VW this is for? Doesn't look like it's for Beetles or Supers of any year I could find. (Side note - I have the missing spring in the parts stash, just haven't been able to get enough leverage to clip it on.)

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks a lot like the one in my old bus...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Duroc, what year was your old bus?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Duroc, what year was your old bus?

The one I did the turn signal switch on was a 78.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like this one: http://www.busdepot.com/211953513k

Mine had the column bits black like yours, not rainbow like the one in the link.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SCBaja ...

I ran a PICT34-3 on my 1776 with Engle 110 cam with an 009 distributor. It was very driveable as It never ran out of "oomph". It was tuned to minimize the dreaded hesitation off idle. I fully rebuilt the carb only to find massive air leaks so I invested in an EGAS 38mm carb & 034 SVDA knockoff.
Best move ... ever. Been enjoying it for almost 3yrs now.

It's been claimed that dual carbs really wake up an engine but can be a pain to get right. I have never dealt with dual carbs but some SWEAR by them. A 1776 engine can work with a stock set up or dual carbs but valve size, exhaust, carb, distributor, & tune will affect how it drives ... It's a complete system that should compliment / work together.

Realize the intended use & driving habits of your bug. It's up to you.

Best of luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
SCBaja29841
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks, jinx, I'll be able to work on the car some this weekend so hopefully I can make some good things happen.

We'll see! I'll post back here with some updates tomorrow hopefully. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 61 of 128

Jump to: