Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!) Reply with quote

just now digging in, what are the empty slots all about? is there anything scary? im here because im reviving my diesel Eberspacher heater and am trying to trace the 16a fuse for it...thought it may be wise to become enlightened about the missing fuses, i assume theyre just for additional bells and whistles? thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791

Last edited by outcaststudios on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

In before anyone asks if you have compared that colorful array to the manual. Sometimes PO install oversized fuses to get around problems they should fix instead.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

Yeah all i have is the HUGE bentley factory repair manual i dont have the regular manual that woudlve come with it. ill see if i can dig up a pdf of it thanks.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

the bentley only seems to show schematic wiring diagrams ,which is helpful but there must be a picture of the stock fuses around?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

Is your fuse diagram not shown in Bentley 97.119...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

Your fuses appear to be lacking a certain spark...
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Your fuses appear to be lacking a certain spark...

Very Happy Very Happy

dhaavers wrote:
Is your fuse diagram not shown in Bentley 97.119...???

- Dave

my 97.19 is the electrical section for....oh 97.119! nice thanks man!!! Very Happy

but thats for wasser is the same as turbodiesel?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

all the fuses are there... even on #5 slot (which should be empty)

what empty slots you're talking about?
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses Reply with quote

the realys above the fuses, im sorry i shoudve said that better, totally my fault. im wondering if there are any missing relays and what the empty relay sockets woudlve been for on this Doka. the bentley shows them all as occupied and with different numbers than the ones i have. maybe its fine but i wasnt sure. sorry to misspeak in my original post. im looking for the relay that powers the metering fuel pump for the aftermarket heater.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!) Reply with quote

The eberspächer comes with it´s own relay base. Maybe it is placed in the engine bay or somewhere under the dash.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!) Reply with quote

Take some time, look in the Bentley.

Relays are shown, factory options are shown (though often on a separate page)

Those empty relay spots are for silly things like electric windows, electric locks, etc etc etc.

Our Bentley focuses on the North American market. The Vans imported were just that, Vans. The turbo diesel DOKA wasn't sold here.

I would hazard a guess that little was changed in fuse location. There will be some obvious differences but overall.......

Find out what each relay and fuse is by turning things on and off while feeling the relays click, pull fuses to see what is now not working or worked fine until the fuse was pulled.
Takes a little time but you can easily make your own fuse and relay directory.

Do ensure that you don't have high amp fuses in low amp locations, dash electrical fires really aren't any fun at all!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!) Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
The eberspächer comes with it´s own relay base. Maybe it is placed in the engine bay or somewhere under the dash.

there is a relay and a control box mounted witht eh heater under the rear seat. i wasnt sure if there were additional fuses/relays under dash but there are not. I was able to locate the fuse for the control box ( fried) so hopefully when the replacement parts get here its just the fuse.

djkeev wrote:
Take some time, look in the Bentley.

Relays are shown, factory options are shown (though often on a separate page)

Those empty relay spots are for silly things like electric windows, electric locks, etc etc etc.

Our Bentley focuses on the North American market. The Vans imported were just that, Vans. The turbo diesel DOKA wasn't sold here.

I would hazard a guess that little was changed in fuse location. There will be some obvious differences but overall.......

Find out what each relay and fuse is by turning things on and off while feeling the relays click, pull fuses to see what is now not working or worked fine until the fuse was pulled.
Takes a little time but you can easily make your own fuse and relay directory.

Do ensure that you don't have high amp fuses in low amp locations, dash electrical fires really aren't any fun at all!

Dave

the fuses are pretty much identical, very solid advice, i thinkyoure right, there are a lot of extra 'toys' that this truck probably didnt need! now what can i fill them up with Smile ?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 89 Doka Td :critique my fuses(and by fuses i meant relays!) Reply with quote

Those empty relay sockets in the main relay panel mostly serve no purpose in a T3.
The same relay/fuse panel was fitted to other VW vehicles so some of those sockets have uses in those other vehicles. Some of these vehicles got that panel years before Vanagons did.

The T3 extra options that use additional relays generally have those relays mounted above the main relay panel, clipped to it on the special mounting slots that are provided there.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: