Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I still have several for sale (see my signature) but can't say if it will work with your tire. As others have mentioned, with a bit of creativity, you can make one without too much effort. Here is a link to my original post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695519&highlight=

The biggest issue is that most larger tires end up sitting on the sheet-metal shelf (the one your current carrier pivots from). If your tire is too wide, it will rub on the shifter rod.

I found that a 7" rim makes a huge difference. A 7.5 makes the tire almost 3/4" wider
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
I still have several for sale (see my signature) but can't say if it will work with your tire. As others have mentioned, with a bit of creativity, you can make one without too much effort. Here is a link to my original post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695519&highlight=

The biggest issue is that most larger tires end up sitting on the sheet-metal shelf (the one your current carrier pivots from). If your tire is too wide, it will rub on the shifter rod.

I found that a 7" rim makes a huge difference. A 7.5 makes the tire almost 3/4" wider

Cool, thanks. I am thinking of buying a 16x6.5 steel rim for my spare which would change things considerably. I like the 7.5's in general but makes it super tight.

Curious as to the actual steel rim that Baltik is using. ET, width.

Jason
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Reminds me of the historic and classic Insyncro post!

I have several of these but I'm not selling them, I'm putting them in the dumpster!

Legendary post..........

Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I am still selling the racks - just didn't want to use the forum for a pitch. Besides, one CAN be made quite easily.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I have several of these but I'm not selling them, I'm putting them in the dumpster!

Legendary post..........

Laughing

Dave

Dylan would have posted a photo, talked about how great it was, talked about all the expensive tools he has, then berated anyone for attempting to find out anything about it.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Legendary post..........

Laughing

Dave

Dylan would have posted a photo, talked about how great it was, talked about all the expensive tools he has, then berated anyone for attempting to find out anything about it.

Sad but true, still, I can't help but believe that knowledge and critical thinking skills have been lost to the forum due to banning irritating, arrogant and obnoxious voices from the chorus.
Just my 2c worth.
Tom
87 Syncro GL
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:
I can't help but believe that knowledge and critical thinking skills have been lost to the forum due to banning irritating, arrogant and obnoxious voices from the chorus.

Not really:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ie0Ivttylc

Wink

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Hmm... now I want something from each of these posts... fix my clam, and swing my tail..

Is it Tuesday? then gimee a 2fer!!

-bobby
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Updating info on the clamshell expansion kit offered by me. I now carry 1.5” and 2.0” longer hook and spacers. The 2.0” kit became necessary for those who have wider tires. It should be noted that those sizes (diameters exceeding 700mm) will require notching the edges of the frame rail where they would contact the tire. Depending on your model van and type of clamshell, you may need more mods than others. In order of “spaciousness”, Syncros can accommodate the most. With auto trans a close second. 2WD manual trans, as many have discovered, may have issues which interfere with shifting into reverse. There are two types of clamshells. One drops lower than the other. Even lower with an extended hook. Keep in mind the hook is just to assist you in threading the retaining bolt. It appears to also serve as a safety catch should the bolt fail.

Some folks have reported success using the Van Cafe clamshell replacement coupled with my kit to get the maximum drop for wider tires. You will be giving up some ground clearance. Some have bent down the hinge halves which are welded to the crossbar. The square u-bolts I use can replicate that effect. It’s important that you cut away clearance notches on the side of each hinge half on the clamshell. That allows the assembly to droop properly. Lastly, I have resorted to having stainless steel steering shaft protectors and use a long bolt to secure the wheel and tire as close to the bottom of the clamshell as possible.

Sorry for the lack of photos. I will try to take some and post to the gallery to assist in improved visualization.
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I guess this thread is as good as any of the oversize spare tire threads out there. I have an 86 full 2wd westy and bought 5 BFG k02 215/75 R15 tires. I had modified my spare tire holder by dropping the hinges and using the VC oversize holder bracket. I can get the BFG to sit in place, barely, and it doesn't touch the steerer shaft, but when I press the shifter to put it into reverse the shifter shaft hits the spare. I can force it, but its not awesome. I deflated the spare to 35 psi, and could go lower, but I'm not sure that would work, and don't really want to go that route. I really only need to buy a few mm of space. I may be able to grind the cross member that the tire rests on a little bit but it isn't a sure thing and I worry about modifying a structural part of the body. A friend suggested that I try bending the shift shaft up slightly. It seems like that could work, and if I really messed it up I can source another. Any thoughts before do something stupid?
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Blaque Jacques wrote:
I guess this thread is as good as any of the oversize spare tire threads out there. I have an 86 full 2wd westy and bought 5 BFG k02 215/75 R15 tires. I had modified my spare tire holder by dropping the hinges and using the VC oversize holder bracket. I can get the BFG to sit in place, barely, and it doesn't touch the steerer shaft, but when I press the shifter to put it into reverse the shifter shaft hits the spare. I can force it, but its not awesome. I deflated the spare to 35 psi, and could go lower, but I'm not sure that would work, and don't really want to go that route. I really only need to buy a few mm of space. I may be able to grind the cross member that the tire rests on a little bit but it isn't a sure thing and I worry about modifying a structural part of the body. A friend suggested that I try bending the shift shaft up slightly. It seems like that could work, and if I really messed it up I can source another. Any thoughts before do something stupid?

Try putting a few spacers on the front bolt.
I have the same tire size and 1/2 inch spacer upfront, seems to do the job.
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I have tried that. I guess the geometry of my particular van is slightly different. Its so close. I need a few mm of clearance at the very rear of the spare right where the shift shaft passes over it. Somebody else suggested that I could modify the shift box so that I wouldn't have to press down on the selector to catch rear. Anyone?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Blaque Jacques wrote:
I have tried that. I guess the geometry of my particular van is slightly different. Its so close. I need a few mm of clearance at the very rear of the spare right where the shift shaft passes over it. Somebody else suggested that I could modify the shift box so that I wouldn't have to press down on the selector to catch rear. Anyone?

I have an '87 westy with the Van Cafe carrier with no mods to it. I also am running 215/75/15 BFG KO2s.

I had to deflate the spare to 10 lbs to get it to fit and work. At that pressure the diameter is reduced enough that I can get it to just fit fine.

I do have a 12V tire pump to inflate it and for use when I air down on wash board roads, etc.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

thanks, dobryan. I was hoping to avoid that but it is probably what I will end up having to do. I don't have a compressor but I always roll with a bike floor pump and should probably spring for a compressor anyway. It so close!
by the way, I grew up in Montgomery county. been out west for 23 years.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I have an 83.5 Westy and currently have a 27x8.5R14 Starfire SF 510 tire at 40 psi in my clam shell and previously carried a fully inflated 195/75R14 BFG KO. All I did was remove the rods, put some long carriage bolts through the hinges where the rods were, and use a longer bolt in the front (with a spacer). No cutting or welding. It just does fit with a little effort but it isn't rubbing the steering or interfering with the shifter.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Blaque Jacques wrote:
thanks, dobryan.
by the way, I grew up in Montgomery county. been out west for 23 years.

Cool. I grew up in Silver Spring and then Olney.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Blaque Jacques wrote:

Thanks for brining this up. I just got some 15" steel wheels and plan to use the 215/75 R15 K02s as well and I've been noodling what to do with the spare: doughtnut of a smaller size? modify the spare tire carrier? I'd be interested to hear what works for you. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

will do. could be yours fits fine. there seem to be some nuance between different vans and what will fit. I think that if my rim was 1/2" narrower it would be ok. I do think the diameter is about the max that the spare carrier space will allow.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
I have an 83.5 Westy and currently have a 27x8.5R14 Starfire SF 510 tire at 40 psi

How do you like those?

Are they Made in USA or China?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I'm liking them very much so far. I initially was just using it as a spare but recently mounted these tires on my van. I'm running them near max psi and have had no clearance, traction, or other issues with them at all. I only have a couple of hundred miles on them so far so check back. Starfire is one of the Cooper Tire brands and these were made in Mexico I believe.
I'm holding on to my 15" BFG KO2s for now, but I suspect I'll be running the Starfires for a while. <edit - just to be clear these are on my old 14" oem steel rims>

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: