Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vent window rubber not sealing
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

the vent window rubber doesn't want to seal up at the outside corner of seal as pictured. pretty sure rubber is seated in track.Seems to be sealed everywhere else. Any suggestions?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

I guess you’ve gotta get through the “pretty sure” obstacle & check if it’s fully seated in the channel.

If it’s fully seated... it sort of looks like the rubber was trained, from being stored / shipped in a kinked position. It may lay down with time. But, that may be wishful thinking.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

Who made that piece? My WW seals are a different profile and fit well. I'd hate to find out yours are from WCM.
Please tell us so we all don't have the same potential problem.

Also, If you've read previous threads on vent rubber- did you trim off all the mold flashing that those seals are well known for having? Enough flashing will impede the seal's ability to be seated in to the inner frame's metal channel.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

the rubber came from bustoration. yes they were trimmed.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

Thanks and thanks. Smile

If I were close by I'd help you get that sumbitc in there. By chance does the swell of that gap broaden or tighten when the vent wing is rotated? It is possible that loosening the nuts and easing the vent wing upward a bit might reduce the puckering. How tight is it up at the upper hinge? If that makes sense...

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

roadkingdoc wrote:
the vent window rubber doesn't want to seal up at the outside corner of seal as pictured. pretty sure rubber is seated in track.Seems to be sealed everywhere else. Any suggestions?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The swoosh is incorrectly installed, unless intentional. You have the drivers side on the passenger side frame. Long edge should be horizontal.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

The problem is that the repro seals are just too big and puffy. You can try trimming them back, but I've never succeeded in getting them to fit right. Broken more than one ventwing latch due to the too tight fit of new seals.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
The problem is that the repro seals are just too big and puffy.
Ronnie sells a variety of seals from different manufacturers... for different budgets. I’ve bought “the good front door seal kit” from him, where he picks what he has personally found to be the best fit (for each individual seal).

The vent window seals I received had lots of slag & needed lots of trimming, the lower hole hogged out, etc... but... they fit well.

Just saying they came from Bustoration doesn’t tell the whole story.

Has full insertion been verified?
Gotta start with the low hanging fruit.
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

I guess in keeping with tradition this little truck has fought with me on every aspect of its restoration. I didn't look forward to door assembly because I knew it would be a pain in the ass. Oh well, just be more satisfying when I whip its dove blue ass! I bought the door kits also from Ronnie. No budget on this truck, its a little money pit.yes full insertion.Sorry for the mini rant! Laughing
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

Hitest, after repositioning the swooshes (thank you Do), I will fck with it some more. I do have an extra set of vent seals
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

roadkingdoc wrote:
Hitest, after repositioning the swooshes (thank you Do), I will fck with it some more. I do have an extra set of vent seals

At least you remembered to put them in! Smile d'oh!

FU#5
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: vent window rubber not sealing Reply with quote

roadkingdoc wrote:

No worries. Brought to you by another "ask-me-how-I-know moments." You learn quickly by making these mistakes and then having to effin go back and re-do it. I left them out entirely in my first re-assembly years ago hahaha. FML.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: