Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to jump in and need some advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtksurfj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

Hiya! I'm new around here but not new to vehicles of the 70's. I'm looking for some advice on what I'm looking to do and after searching a bunch decided it's time to say hello and ask some questions.

So here goes....

I'm looking to buy a bay window to use as an around town car in Rincon Puerto Rico. It would be a daily driver for low speed, low quality roads with hills and carrying family and friends around (going for the transporter configuration). I rarely get above 40mph in my daily driving around Rincon... but there are hills. Temperatures range from 82-86F year round with occasional rain. It's a coastal environment and I would be washing the bus frequently to keep rust at bay. It would be kept in a garage and maintained by local mechanics who have plenty of VW experience.

Here's what a typical "highway" looks like in Rincon:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So my questions are:

1A) What engine/gearing will make it possible for me to maintain 20-40mph speeds up serious hills for a mile or two in these ambient temp conditions?

1B) Are there considerations related to braking for big hills in these buses?

2) Are there any considerations I should be aware of for low quality (lots of pothole) roads and suspension setups of these busses?

3) Am I totally crazy and should stay away from a bay window for this sort of use?

All feedback appreciated!

Thanks!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

"use the right tool for the job"

buses hate: hills, potholes, stopping and salt.

that said ,there are about 1000 different answers to those questions, but id say that you should find a better and more appropriate vehicle to beat on and throw money at.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

Buy a 71 model. Easier to work on Type one engine, disc brakes with Vacuum assist. Make sure the window seals are new ( WW are the best ). Keep it tuned and that would fit the bill well. My Old single cab truck ran around the highlands of Panama for like 30 years.

Good hunting!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

For what a good rust free running 50 year old VW bus will cost, why not get a nice modern SUV with a warranty and cool air conditioning? I've lived in San Juan, and also in the Florida Panhandle as well as along the S. Eastern seaboard. You'll love having something that is trouble free w/ AC and is insurable at its value compared to a VW bus. If you want a VW bus, yes a 1971 would do well with the disc brakes and common VW type one engine parts. Don't expect a 50 year old car to come trouble free unless you spend $20K - $25K. Better know how to evaluate one if you spend that much. If it comes from PR then it best be from the interior and not around the coast from the salt in the air.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

1971. I’ve climbed some big hills with mine loaded down. Should do fine where you are.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
1971. I’ve climbed some big hills with mine loaded down. Should do fine where you are.
ditto.Get a Bentley manual, mic the brake rotors and if they are under spec get new ones. You’ll be glad you did. They are often overlooked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

In your part of the world parts are harder to get. Stick with a drum brake 68-70 Bay, keep the drum brakes snicked in and adjusted and you can run fast and cheap
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

A '76 or later with a 2.0 FI engine is going to get you up the hills with ease and the power assisted disc brakes will do a fine job of stopping. If you do end up in a wreck the crash protection is better as well. At 85°F you should have zero cooling problems. If you start out with a 2.0 in good condition it should give you many many years of good service.
mtksurfj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve been considering the following options:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2239018
http://www.oldbug.com/fastreddie.htm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232348

Do any of these have disqualifying features?

Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

mtksurfj wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve been considering the following options:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2239018
http://www.oldbug.com/fastreddie.htm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232348

Do any of these have disqualifying features?

Thanks!

Price tag.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mtksurfj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

Ok, so they have high asking prices? But beyond that...
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

im wary of builds that are larger than 1800, just becasue the engineering is limited for longevity, sure theyre fast and fun but if youre looking for a long term ride then id say go with an 1800 cc or maybe a 2.0 anything larger and the physics get more intense on wear and engine parts. also it sounds like you wont be maintaining it yourself in which case its easier to find parts and info for stock or close to stock components. one of the rides you listed had a bunch of non stock parts trans mission etc, i d say to stay closer to the middle of the road if its your first bus. after you get your 'bus legs' then you might want to push into more performance or suspension issues. if you have the cash ,that 1975 listed looks like its the most reliable and well priced...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

Any T4 is going to eat your ass. When you go to replace something you’ll know
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

I don't think your hill requirement is understood by many here,

Rincon has nothing in terms of hills a type I won't handle - I think the high poiint on the entire Island is <1500 meters?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

There are 84 1971 Buses for sale in the Samba classifieds right now, a few are Trucks, a few are not in the U.S., but that is still a bunch of '71s to check out.......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

buses hate: ... potholes, stopping

Question My Bus loves potholes and stops great.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to jump in and need some advice Reply with quote

What he said^
These buses were designed for a market that included slow speeds on roads which were mud/rock tracks hence the high ground clearance and great suspension. What they weren't designed for is what most of us now want - cruising at 70mph.
Mine likes hills and potholes and it stops great. It doesn't like salt, but what old vehicle does?

I wouldn't take notice of people implying you can't have one unless you're going to treat it as a museum exhibit. If you want one, have one! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: