Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swing axle race axles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Thx for the quick responses! In the end, much of it is going to depend on how the car is driven.
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

busey wrote:
clooney wrote:
are they required for a 180hp type 1 mostly street use, occasional trips to the strip.

how strong are the stock short axles before they give way?

Weddle has SAW and "Made in USA" axles, both almost similarly priced.

On that note in bold, would a stock diff / 3.88 R&P fresh rebuilt trans with stock internals benefit from Sway-Aways OR will something inside the case break first anyway making the adding of race axles a non factor??

Also, someone mentioned that while replacing to race axles might as well install a 300m input shaft from Weddle at the same time. which is the input shaft, if its labeled differently on that photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To swap out axles i'm imagining i dont have to go farther than #14 with a new #15 gasket (on the drawing). in other words, i can R&R the axles without having to remove the 'Final Drive Cover"???
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

busey wrote:
busey wrote:

To swap out axles i'm imagining i dont have to go farther than #14 with a new #15 gasket (on the drawing). in other words, i can R&R the axles without having to remove the 'Final Drive Cover"???

That is correct, that you do not need to remove the final drive cover #16. I would test fit your axle spade into the side gear with the fulcrum plates you have to make sure they don’t bind. You should be able to slide a .004-.005 feeler gauge in between a fulcrum, and the axle spade for oil clearance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
busey wrote:
busey wrote:

That is correct, that you do not need to remove the final drive cover #16. I would test fit your axle spade into the side gear with the fulcrum plates you have to make sure they don’t bind. You should be able to slide a .004-.005 feeler gauge in between a fulcrum, and the axle spade for oil clearance.

Awesome Thx for the info!
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Currently in the process of an axles swap. I have yet to remove the snap rings holding the axles in 2 transmissions. . Is there a reason why the SwayAways have hardly no in and out play as compared to the stock axles? I can pull in and out on the stock axles what seems like at least half an inch Think
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

busey wrote:
Currently in the process of an axles swap. I have yet to remove the snap rings holding the axles in 2 transmissions. . Is there a reason why the SwayAways have hardly no in and out play as compared to the stock axles? I can pull in and out on the stock axles what seems like at least half an inch Think

So, you're taking a set of SAW axles from one trans, and installing them in another that currently has stock axles installed in it? Possible that a fulcrum plate has slipped behind the end of the SAW axle? The SAW axle may have a little thicker spade that would limit movement a little, but they should move about the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
busey wrote:

So, you're taking a set of SAW axles from one trans, and installing them in another that currently has stock axles installed in it? Possible that a fulcrum plate has slipped behind the end of the SAW axle? The SAW axle may have a little thicker spade that would limit movement a little, but they should move about the same.

yes, the SAW axles trans has been sitting un-used for several years and probably looking at several more years before i even got close to maybe using it. so F-it, why not use them pricey axles, i have them. I'll make sure to pay close attention to the fulcrum plates. thx

and maybe a bit longer spade as its the in-out play with the very noticeable difference?? I should have them all out and compare them side-by-side this coming week.

Last edited by busey on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

When I ran a drag Ghia, I had Sway-A-Way axles, never had a problem.
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
busey wrote:

or a longer spade possibly since its the in-out movement is where the difference is very noticeable?? i'll have them all out next week and compare them side by side.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

The thickness I’m thinking of is where the triangular side of the spade tapers down to the round portion of the axle shaft. That’s about the only thing I could see that would be dimensionally different that would contact the thrust washer differently. I have a couple pics of a stock/Empi axle that aren’t really side by side same angle comparisons, but a half inch difference in movement is most likely a fulcrum plate.

busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Got the axles out. Once i loosened everything up a bit, all 4 axles had the same amount of in-out play in the trans. The sway away does have a slightly fatter spade. I slipped the indicator over the stock showing how much thinner the stock axle is in the middle. I should note the stock axle tapers and thins about another 1/16th towards the spade and tapers thicker towards the threads. (The swayaway does not taper at all.)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: