Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 911 motor in ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hahnster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Let me start with I’m not looking for pros and cons. Just trying to find out if anyone has any experience installing an air cooled 911 engine in a Karmann Ghia. I know it would be cheaper to get similar performance out of a type 1 or 4 engine. Looking for the novelty of having a 911 engine. Thank you for the help.
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Check out Bader Racing,,,it’s the awesome ghia

http://www.bader-racing.de/en/portfolio/portfolio.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Also check out the gallery. Do a search for the key words "Porsche" "Engine" and a fair few come up. Some of them in the back of Ghias.... like this one..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rome wrote:
While attending the Bug-Out VW meet in Manassas, VA in May 1985 (possible already in '84) I saw this remarkable '69 Ghia coupe. I remember it slowly driving towards me in the car show access road, making a clean appearance. Sprint Stars, removed rear fender reflectors; no quarter windows; and slightly rolled rear wheelwells. But the engine sound- wow- a very clean installation of a 911 engine. Note the original engine latch relocated to the upper left using a bracket, the custom rera engine cross-support, the wide-exit dual exhaust tips, the engine lid air scoop. I remember that the engine lid closed fully, making this an effective "sleeper".

In the front shot, that's my friend Michael W with the white shirt to the right. He went on to buy and manage the VW/Porsche/Audi dealer Autohaus of Harrisburg in Pennsylvania in the '90's.

the early 911s and late 356s had very similar motors and you see 356 engines in the back of Ghias more often than the later 911 motors. Probably because there is less engineering involved.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Also check out the gallery. Do a search for the key words "Porsche" "Engine" and a fair few come up. Some of them in the back of Ghias.... like this one..

Rome wrote:
While attending the Bug-Out VW meet in Manassas, VA in May 1985 (possible already in '84) I saw this remarkable '69 Ghia coupe. I remember it slowly driving towards me in the car show access road, making a clean appearance. Sprint Stars, removed rear fender reflectors; no quarter windows; and slightly rolled rear wheelwells. But the engine sound- wow- a very clean installation of a 911 engine. Note the original engine latch relocated to the upper left using a bracket, the custom rera engine cross-support, the wide-exit dual exhaust tips, the engine lid air scoop. I remember that the engine lid closed fully, making this an effective "sleeper".

In the front shot, that's my friend Michael W with the white shirt to the right. He went on to buy and manage the VW/Porsche/Audi dealer Autohaus of Harrisburg in Pennsylvania in the '90's.

the early 911s and late 356s had very similar motors and you see 356 engines in the back of Ghias more often than the later 911 motors. Probably because there is less engineering involved.

Nicholas

356 engines were four cylinder, 911 six cylinder. They really have nothing in common other than being air cooled.
The six cyl engines are longer and will.not fit without butchering the body. The 356 engines are close to the size of a type one and will fit with much less modification.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

I seriously considered doing a 911 engine in my 71 vert resto/mod, but settled on a Type 4 with a 915 5 speed transmission.

Just too much modification for my skill set/budget.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
356 engines were four cylinder, 911 six cylinder. They really have nothing in common other than being air cooled.

Ah, yes... that was a cut and paste error on my part. That sentence should have started “ Ghias and late 356s had very similar motors and that’s why you see them in the back of Ghias. ...

Thanks for the correction Embarassed
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:

Rome wrote:

Nicholas

The six cyl engines are longer and will.not fit without butchering the body. The 356 engines are close to the size of a type one and will fit with much less modification.

That was always my understanding, but unless I'm missing something in that photo it would appear that the necessary body modifications may be minimal and limited to cutting into the area where the engine lid latch was originally positioned.

Now while I don't really know for certain, I would seriously doubt that a 911 engine could be successfully mated to the stock transaxle used in a Karmann Ghia.
If that is indeed the case, then perhaps much more "body" modification may be necessary that is visible in that photo.

Actual HP figures of a highly modified Type I or Type IV engine vs. even a stock 911 engine not withstanding, the visual impact of seeing a 6 cylinder 911 engine in the Karmann Ghia engine compartment provides a much bigger "high performance" impression IMO.

A Karmann Ghia doesn't get much Badder than the Bader Racing Ghia. Drool
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

A Type 4 engine with stock pancake cooling fan will fit with trimming of the rear apron tin. A Corvair engine will fit with rear apron trimming.

bnc
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

The 356/912 Porsche is a much better choice as the 911 will make it ass heavy and not corner worth a darn while the 912/356 will be more like the stock Ghia handling and better balanced while giving you higher rev. limit than a type 4 VW.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of driving a '69 912 this past summer..It's a 1600cc engine,based on the 356 with a twist..those heads are much bigger than VW heads,even 2l..The Germans really knew what they were doing engineering this engine..essentially the same bore and stroke as a VW engine,but the way the intake ports are designed,the squish area of the chambers and the way the valve train is set up..this car had a punch more powerful then the 1904cc in my Ghia..Now i didn't drive the shit out of the Porsche,but I could feel the difference..and the car is much heavier than A Ghia,the dual webers are the same as my HPMX 40s..the car also needed some basic tuneup to get it to optimal running condition,Which wasn't done at the time as my friend and our esteemed colleague Bob Norman (Yes,he's alive and well Very Happy) was just doing a brake job for the owner...
So if I was entertaining the idea of putting a "Porsha" engine in the back of any VW,it would be this..
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The 356/912 Porsche is a much better choice as the 911 will make it ass heavy and not corner worth a darn while the 912/356 will be more like the stock Ghia handling and better balanced while giving you higher rev. limit than a type 4 VW.

The Type 4 can be built to rev, it's been done for years.

Next.

Bryan
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Here my buddy's 59 Vert from 1984. Hacked up the back and installed a 2.0L Type IV out of a 914. Everything was painted Porsche Raspberry Red and those are 48 IDFs. Too much torque and tons of wheel hop!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Hoe about a Porsche/Polo engine. Same design as the 911 but only 4 cylinders.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Hoe about a Porsche/Polo engine. Same design as the 911 but only 4 cylinders.

Link

If I had that motor I would HAVE TO find a Porsche to put it in as I don't think I would want to be in a Ghia at 160MPH.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If I had that motor I would HAVE TO find a Porsche to put it in as I don't think I would want to be in a Ghia at 160MPH.

In a 356.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:

Rome wrote:

Nicholas

That was always my understanding, but unless I'm missing something in that photo it would appear that the necessary body modifications may be minimal and limited to cutting into the area where the engine lid latch was originally positioned.

Now while I don't really know for certain, I would seriously doubt that a 911 engine could be successfully mated to the stock transaxle used in a Karmann Ghia.
If that is indeed the case, then perhaps much more "body" modification may be necessary that is visible in that photo.

Actual HP figures of a highly modified Type I or Type IV engine vs. even a stock 911 engine not withstanding, the visual impact of seeing a 6 cylinder 911 engine in the Karmann Ghia engine compartment provides a much bigger "high performance" impression IMO.

A Karmann Ghia doesn't get much Badder than the Bader Racing Ghia. Drool

Looks like he did some chopping on the sides, too.
You for sure would need a 901 gearbox with that hp, but if you base it off a later IRS pan it would not be as difficult. Then brake upgrades, too.
All that stuff is of course a ton of money just for the parts involved, and even with heavy mods you still have a Car that likely handles worse than a stock Ghia. Would be an interesting novelty item for sure, but as a practical machine,
not very.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 motor in ghia Reply with quote

I've been mulling over a Type 4 build with stock Fuel Injection. I have a couple of engines in the garage waiting to be built and spare FI components. Wondering if I can fit a pair of Bus Heat Exchanges and extractor exhaust too.

Personally I want to be as stock as possible. Smooth, reliable and powerful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: