Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

[quote="esde"]
nextgen wrote:

I have to do a bit of surgery because I am not removing the carbs from the car.

He's nuts.....but, hey, maybe he can do it?
Just have to take the tops off the carbs, and being a type-4 maybe he can reach teh acc pumps in car, tho we can't.

Make sure it's all cleaned up first, you know, car wash and spray out the area, bags over the carbs. Don't want dirt falling in carbs.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I always check that each barrel flows the same as well and adjust them if required before I re-install them and verify they don't have any leaking internal passages where they shouldn't and the ones that should be clear are still clear.

Jeremy

I'm curious as to how you check them for flow. Is there a special apparatus of some sort? I've rebuilt mine a number of times but I've never been confident enough to pull the throttle shafts and bearings. When I discovered a sticky shaft I sent them out but the guy I sent them to doesn't/can't test for flow.

A professional shop would put your carb on top of a intake manifold on a flow bench and bend the shaft till each barrel flows the same. I do something similar at home with a vacuum cleaner and a modified single carb intake manifold. The manifold has a hole ground out just below the carb where each runner touches one another so then both barrels are exposed to the same vacuum pressure. I put this manifold in by bench vice, carb on top, vacuum cleaner on one side and the other side plugged.

A bent throttle shaft is really quite common as that shaft is more delicate than you might think. In order to bend it back you will have to remove the nuts on each end of the throttle shaft and possibly a washer or two in order to expose a big area of the flats. I then use two large adjustable wrenches as they have the most surface area to engage the flats of the shafts. With the throttle shaft held open part way, hold one side still and lightly twist the other side.

This will be trial and error, the goal is the twist the side that is letting light through when closed or has the higher reading on the snail gauge. It may help to back the idle speed screw out a bit so as you are checking your progress you can see how each butterfly closes. On my Dells, typically the lowest and smallest progression hole is slightly exposed at idle, and both sides will be exposed the same amount. Duplicate this and you will be close.

Does that help?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Jeffery that was a great help, thanks.

Modok, you are right, have done this on other T-4's. Remember for my Cali Conversion I use the 36hp fanhousing without heater outlets. Much more room and the T-4 case is not as wide as T-1.

Also went from beautiful 914 Tall Aluminum Manifolds to the ugly cast iron lower manifolds.

A bit tight but can get at every thing, Idle Screws, Accell pump, etc

Not a full overall but can always go to a full stage if needed if this does not resolve my problem.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I just took apart a set of Kadrons that were sitting on the shelf for a few years,
And very little miles beforehand, when they were rebuilt.

The accel pump diaphragms were both torn.

I'll chalk it up to things in the gas now that nobody could ever guess.

Remember that fuel nowadays eats rubber..

Carbs need babysitting,
like the roses need the rain,
or the poet the pain. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I don't understand why you wouldn't just remove them and do it the right way.

How else could you ever clean them?... And clean is what its all about.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Because, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just want to go IN there, replace what needs to be replaced, and get out.
It's not a bad plan, but, yeah I'm not sure if it's gonna work. Take the top cover off, the old gasket might flake to bits. Then what? or, maybe it won't.
only one way to know....
Very Happy
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Like the guy with the Red Manx / IDF Webers on here... I did a crappy job and it still doesn't run right....

Got any Ideas?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

So, what I'm hearing is... you can't do it, so you think it's impossible.
Well, I can do it, so I think it's possible
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

What I'm saying its alot easier to do it right the 1st time.

You even admit your not sure it will work Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure what your hearing.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Two ways to push the limits of what is possible
-not knowing better
-somebody pays you to try

But yeah, if he gets half done a and a bird poops overhead.... Laughing
or screw falls in, ect, then I guess it didn't work
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I have hacked stuff when I was younger... Call it experimentation I guess.

I would just have to agree with Glen on here... His engine isn't that old. I remember when he installed it and swapped to Weber IDA's from his Dellortos....

He just sent them to Blackline because he probably feels he doesn't want to screw around. I would imagine he expects them to come back clean and ready to run for another 11 years.

These Dells have been running since the 80's?

C'mon...

Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Reviving this thread. I just started to rebuild a 40 IDF and have a question for all you carb gurus on the process.

Some people say to strip the carb down, but keep the butterflies on the shaft, then soak in carb cleaner. If you do not remove the butterflies, shaft, and bearings how do you apply grease to the shafts and bearings? I prefer not to remove the butterflies because I feel like I am tweeking the shaft when removing the screws.

Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Bearings are accessible from outside once all the arms and lever are off.... Older ones had open (exposed) bearings with rubber or plastic shields (I believe), new ones have sealed or shielded bearing ....

All I ever had to do is pull top plate and all the jets and squirt carb cleaner through all the passages followed by compressed air, verify floats and reassemble and adjust....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Bearings are accessible from outside once all the arms and lever are off.... Older ones had open (exposed) bearings with rubber or plastic shields (I believe), new ones have sealed or shielded bearing ....

All I ever had to do is pull top plate and all the jets and squirt carb cleaner through all the passages followed by compressed air, verify floats and reassemble and adjust....

Dale

How do I remove the bearing dust cover?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

I Usually use something like a dental pick or machinists scribe. Just need to be careful. And try starting at an area that looks the best. You can buy new seals for a lot of bearings but I’m not sure about that particular size. I also usually sharpen the point on tools like that as needed. You want to get under it at the edge. Sometimes a sewing needle can be useful. Some have a nice tip and hardened so they don’t bend
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Glenn and Modok and esde,

Man I am just moving along like a rocket, ok 3 wheeler, ok so a freaking snail.

Serious on my car I have to remove 2 side sheet metals pieces, one on each side to get at the manifold nuts. I used nutserts instead of nuts, figuring the screws would screw in and out . NO problem, wrong they spun and had to use vice grips on 3 and a bolt cutter on the third, hey, got them off. Yip some blood.

THe car is on blocks sprayed the manifold nuts with penetrating fluid. Ready to remove them and figured when I remove them and send them out for rebuild, which can take a month or more to get back. I better figure a way to keep manifolds sealed to prevent water from getting in. That was 2 weeks ago and the manifold nuts are sill on due to Snow and freaking Cold --4 f today.

So tape won"t stick in this cold, Hmm maybe plastic bags, or maybe special plates I can drill and fit on the manifold studs, etc.

Modok do you see ball joints all over again.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

So you decided against restoring your carbs on the vehicle?

Idea

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe,
Yes I decided not to do the equivalent of brain surgery on my carbs with them on the car.

Years ago the carbs were not so old and after going on Youtube and seeing a few real rebuilds. I figured I may has well have guy that has been doing it for years with a great reputation.

The kit has O rings and parts that I know when I finish will be left over.
My carbs have Jet Doctors, that use the lead ball to plug holes. Don't even remember were they were, they could have popped out for all I know..

Over the phone I was diagnosed with the Dellorto Drip, My bug has the same problem ( A joke ). Serious it was . You pay for experience.

Thanks for asking.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Joe of the East...

I was just yanking your chain... LOL Laughing

Glad you made (what I consider) the wise decision.

I was just surprised at the responses I got on here for suggesting that in the 1st place.

Hope it Purrrs when you get it back together.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: When was the last time U did a Dell or Weber rebuild Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

How do I remove the bearing dust cover?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

under that washer is where the bearing lives. There will be a little thin washer between that big washer and the bearing, it keeps them from rubbing each other. Once you get those off, use a small dental pick and carefully get under the dust seal, next to the shaft, and pry it off. You can then see the bearings and the cage. Clean, pack, and reassemble. I use some thick silicone based grease, it seems to hold up well.
SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: