Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

My 1957 Bug spends most of it's time outdoors.

I need to replace the sunroof canvas and am looking for opinions on whether canvas or vinyl will last the longest.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

canvas all the way. I had a vinyl on my oval when it was my daily and it lasted about 1.5 years. the sun and weather killed it. I have a Stayfast canvas one now for 2 years and it is still good.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

Canvass for sure. Ive had mine outdoors for 10 years now and the only issue is a small hole that wore from the inside caused by a rivet I installed and didnt clearance. Even the thread everyone says will fail on the sides is still good. This is in So Cal with the killer sun beating down on it all the time. I know someone who put in a vinyl rag at the same time as I and he has had to replace it 3 times already due to cracks. Given mine is faded quite a bit but it still keeps the rain and wind out (the car now lives in WA) which says a lot.

This year I finally got a shop and the bug will no longer have to endure the elements so maybe get another 10 years out of it? I wish I would have purchased two at the time so I would be set for life.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Canvass for sure. Ive had mine outdoors for 10 years now and the only issue is a small hole that wore from the inside caused by a rivet I installed and didnt clearance. Even the thread everyone says will fail on the sides is still good. This is in So Cal with the killer sun beating down on it all the time. I know someone who put in a vinyl rag at the same time as I and he has had to replace it 3 times already due to cracks. Given mine is faded quite a bit but it still keeps the rain and wind out (the car now lives in WA) which says a lot.

This year I finally got a shop and the bug will no longer have to endure the elements so maybe get another 10 years out of it? I wish I would have purchased two at the time so I would be set for life.

I got you beat T, I still have the same canvas top on my Oval since we were in Valley V Dubs. I’m thinking 1993ish, I got it off Arts yellow oval before sold it, we swapped the one I had bought from KDF Enterprise. I know he had it custom made at some shop here in the SFV. Still looks black and doesn’t leak. So canvas over vinyl for sure.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

Apparently canvas is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Canvas vs Vinyl Sunroof. Which is Longest Lasting Reply with quote

You need to care for both, but canvas would be my choice. Back in the late 60's I purchased a 57 with its OG vinyl, so it had lasted 11 years, had a new vinyl installed for $20.00 those were the days.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: