Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

remote cooler installation
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

I thought i might share my cooler installation .

I have a 2054 in my full body baja. It ran pretty good temperatures most of the time with just the stock cooler. but on long hot days , 85+ and driving 65-70 with a full load the oil temps would rise to uncomfortable temperatures.

I did this work when the engine had about 18K miles . the engine had original been set up for a full flow system but wasn't installed originally. At this time i had a mechanic up my compression from low 7's to i think i am at 8.1 . had him put on the oil pump and cover as needed and tighten up everything. It does run better and less pinging now and the cooling is great. I have about 24K on it now and it has been performing well. As an example i have gotten up to high oil temperatures , past 260 just once now since i have added the cooler. that was when i had a full load with passenger at the end pf about a 20 mile grade on the south east side of the sierras in 95+ temperatures at 60-70 miles an hour. that felt like a real test. other than that my temps are always well below 260. Short story is that the added line,filter and cooler was just what i needed.

Here are some pictures of what i did. Note that i have a 3" body lift so i have more room above the tranny. I wanted to make sure i had a clean sturdy installation so i used the best parts i could find and planned it out.

I used a Setrab filter and fan, with a 190 degree thermostatic fan switch switch and i used a 180 degree mocal thermostatic sandwich adapter under the filter housing. Note that at first i bought a thermostatic sandwich adapter from another company and i was really under impressed with the piece of metal in it that appeared to be the temperature control, i didn't like it and got the mocal which really seems like a better unit.

I mounted the fan above the transmission with some long all thread hanging off the rear package tray. I covered it with some screening to keep some of the big rocks from hitting it. its large screen so i haven't had any problem with mud getting stuck in it or otherwise plugging it up.
I also bought the expensive fitting available for the cooler. made for a good installation.
I used some heat shield on the exposed line that is under the fender and through the exhaust.
I wanted to locate the filter somewhere where it was protected and that i could get to it and so it was vertical so as not to leak all over when i changed it. I found a spot right up behind the fender that worked well. it took a lot of thinking and head scratching but i am happy with the spot.
I was also able to route the hoses under the rear fender so as to still allow me to use my totally useful carburetor access doors.

I have a bypass switch to turn the filter on or of manually from in the cab but i have never used it.

So here are some pictures

the cooler

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the thermostatic adapter that i didn't like, I don't have any pictures of the one i used

can still use my carburetor access doors

rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

That's a nice machine. Can you give some details on the suspension? What size tires? Setrab makes good stuff.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
That's a nice machine. Can you give some details on the suspension? What size tires? Setrab makes good stuff.

Thanks for the compliment . Thing front end with adjusters, stops and misc bracing,ghia disc brakes, bilstein class 11 shocks, Yokohama 742s, about 29.5” tall, rear has bfg 30.5 which measure 28.5”, type 2 empi race 22.5 degree cv joints, 80’s vintage SAW axles and torsion bars , adjustable spring plates and crown super dif , 4.37 ring and pinion, a few welded gears and misc, about a 1” notch in spring plates. Type 3 rear drums, and a little bit different I have a 10 degree engine/tranny mount , I think these are used when installing bus transmissions but mine was installed to bring the engine up higher in line with the 3” body lift kit. I have bilstein 5160 series with reservoirs, I think, in the rear. And a steering brake. I am totally satisfied with the handling, ride and brakes. Also have braces from the transmission horns to a cross bar above because the horns have cracked and twisted a bit in the past. Front transmission strap.

The way I have it set is a little bit stiff when empty and I hear the suspension hitting the stops occasionally. But fully loaded it’s perfect.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

Cool, wanna do mine next?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

Looks like those tires are going to run everything, I like it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

The biggest concern I have with that cooler mounting is having sufficient air flow as the cooler is pretty close to the bottom of the package shelf.

In 2012, my son raced in the Mint 400 in a brand new Class 5 he and Rick Crumb had just finished building (like finished it in the pit before the start of the race... Shocked), The owner was a guy who owned a VW shop near Ventura and was into street Bugs. He insisted that the oil cooler (a larger Setrab with fan) be mounted under the fuel cell. Pretty much the same as yours. They had overheating trouble, even with the fan running FULL time as it wouldn't cool enough to shut it off, during the race that contributed to a DNF in the race. Other Crumco cars with coolers mounted in places like the left 1/4 window have no such overheating troubles. So I get a bit sketchy about mounting a cooler under a shelf or other relatively flat panel.

Warren driving:

(photo from UTV Underground)
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The biggest concern I have with that cooler mounting is having sufficient air flow as the cooler is pretty close to the bottom of the package shelf.

In 2012, my son raced in the Mint 400 in a brand new Class 5 he and Rick Crumb had just finished building (like finished it in the pit before the start of the race... Shocked), The owner was a guy who owned a VW shop near Ventura and was into street Bugs. He insisted that the oil cooler (a larger Setrab with fan) be mounted under the fuel cell. Pretty much the same as yours. They had overheating trouble, even with the fan running FULL time as it wouldn't cool enough to shut it off, during the race that contributed to a DNF in the race. Other Crumco cars with coolers mounted in places like the left 1/4 window have no such overheating troubles. So I get a bit sketchy about mounting a cooler under a shelf or other relatively flat panel.

Warren driving:

(photo from UTV Underground)

I think you have a good point that I considered. The cooler in this case is mounted vertical, not flat against the pacakage tray. With my 3” body lift I had space to mount it that way. Both the front and rear of the cooler have plenty of space so as not to restrict airflow or the fan. I have determined that without the fan on I get additional cooling from the system. It could be just because the increase in oil capacity but I think that the cooler is getting enough air flow to provide some additional cooling even before the fan comes on. As far as how well it is working in my case , I have found it solved my high temperatures under heavy load and heat. It might not be the best solution but in my case an external or window mounted cooler is not an option.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

I think you have a good point that I considered. The cooler in this case is mounted vertical, not flat against the pacakage tray. With my 3” body lift I had space to mount it that way. Both the front and rear of the cooler have plenty of space so as not to restrict airflow or the fan. I have determined that without the fan on I get additional cooling from the system. It could be just because the increase in oil capacity but I think that the cooler is getting enough air flow to provide some additional cooling even before the fan comes on. As far as how well it is working in my case , I have found it solved my high temperatures under heavy load and heat. It might not be the best solution but in my case an external or window mounted cooler is not an option.

I am just putting out some of my own research on this from builds I have done. I have built quite a few Baja’s that were street and trail driven that I mounted the oil cooler in the same place you did and also have mounted them more above the transmission trying to avoid rocks from hitting them.

I used Rapid Cool because we never had attached fans of the type oil coolers used today like the Setrab. So I am not saying modern oil coolers with fans would not perform better in that position. I had started using temperature readings and looking at airflows on the coolers because I had been running those coolers on the rear vent cowl on Baja 5/1600’s and class 11 style race cars early on. I was looking for a safer spot to put them because of roll over and rock protection.

We took 2 Baja’s out to Mirage dry lake specifically to test this back in the day of racing the 5/1600. The Baja’s were set up with cowl mounted coolers and one with over the Trans cooler. What I found changed the way I mounted them from that day forward until even now. Using oil temps and tell tails so we could see airflow. Surprisingly we found out the same thing Dusty says, that the airflow coming in at the quarter windows were even better than a cowl mounted and the oil temps were lower.

I have no data for modern coolers like the setrab as my vintage restores are still using Rapid Cool which is no longer made. I understand this is not valid for a car with the rear window installed and side glass used as in a combo street off road car.

In my current build I am going to install a Zeus fastener mounted side glass so I can run one inside during cold weather, but pop the side windows off in summer in the new Baja. I just recently installed a spare Rapid Cool on a Baja engine I just built for a customer, I installed it on the rear cowl old school style along with the normal stock squirrel cage because it is a high comp engine being driven on street also. I had also installed a squirrel cage drag style fan on a cab installed cooler mounted over the fuel cell back in the 90's and found no real difference in cooling over a cowl mounted.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

I have seen a lot of external oil coolers on Baja's over the year mounted above the rear window or between the rear window and back seat window for air flow. I am sure there are lots of photos in the gallery.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

10" SPAL...."puller" fan

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: remote cooler installation Reply with quote

I've been using an external cooler mounted over the rear louvers under the window since the early 70s. Works great for me. Last time I rolled a Bug was this one on New Year's Day in '71 before I converted it to a Baja. So I haven't had much concern for damaging a cooler in a rollover. These photos show PermaCool brand coolers, Like Rapid Cool brand, no longer available.

Memorial Day weekend - 1981 - Sherman Jeep Trail, Sierra Nevada, 1385cc

Same car, circa 2012 - now with a dog house cooler as well for a 1776
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: