Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear axle bearing help needed....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

NGK brand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Well hey there Roy... seeing as the original purchaser is unhappy and is clearly not interested in any future dealings, you can just slide that $250 credit over my way. We dont want it just floating out there in the ether.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

The rebuilt transmission came from me at MOFOCO. First, the buyer is quite upset at the time it took to get a complete transmission(35 working days from the date of the order to shipping) which had 3 weeks of holidays in it. Even though I apologized immediately through email, offered a $250 credit to order any extra parts needed, he has continued to pound the keyboard about how awful I am. Life is not perfect, especially when rebuilding 50+ year old products, and I AS ALWAYS stand 100% behind what I do. If anything is unsatisfactory and needs to be replaced, I have a one year, unlimited miles warranty.

Now, as for the specific issues described above, I will always use a good use German axle bearing over a new Chinese bearing. I heard the bearings spin myself before they were installed and they made no noise. If he wants new ones, I am happy to send them free of charge. Second, we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer or anything else I can do.

so tell us....
Just how does one install and drive a swingaxle transmission with out the axles and tubes???
gonna have to call BS on this one...

feel free to post a video of this operation in action.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
estilholliday wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer or anything else I can do.

This is not judgement, criticism, or anything of the sort... but I am curious how your company tests the transmissions without installing and running the full unit on a vehicle? I would assume that a transaxle acts and performs drastically different when driven under full load of a vehicle, rather than only hooked to an engine without axles and just run through the gears (which I am assuming is what your tests consists of?? Please explain your procedures as well)

Thanks.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. We install each transmission in a vehicle and actually drive it up and down the street checking upshifts, downshifts, no grinding, no popping out of gear and no leaks. we have a special set of axles that has CV joints on the wheel end and swingaxle axle ends welded on to the other end that goes in the transmission. When we sell a complete swingaxle, we install the axles and tubes after the test drive. Same thing if we sell an IRS and you buy axles, the tranmission is not tested using the new axles, we use our test axles.

how do you keep the fluid in the transmission under driving operation????
sound fishy...
post a pic and a video...
mark40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

The rebuilt transmission came from me at MOFOCO. First, the buyer is quite upset at the time it took to get a complete transmission(35 working days from the date of the order to shipping) which had 3 weeks of holidays in it. Even though I apologized immediately through email, offered a $250 credit to order any extra parts needed, he has continued to pound the keyboard about how awful I am. Life is not perfect, especially when rebuilding 50+ year old products, and I AS ALWAYS stand 100% behind what I do. If anything is unsatisfactory and needs to be replaced, I have a one year, unlimited miles warranty.

Now, as for the specific issues described above, I will always use a good use German axle bearing over a new Chinese bearing. I heard the bearings spin myself before they were installed and they made no noise. If he wants new ones, I am happy to send them free of charge. Second, we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

so tell us....
Just how does one install and drive a swingaxle transmission with out the axles and tubes???

He said "they test the transmission in a car with other special axles," (not the customer axles) then they install the customer axles before shipping.

Sounds doable to me. You gotta like someone who speaks up and says hey it was me they are complaining about... And this is my side.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark..
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

mark40 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

He said "they test the transmission in a car with other special axles," (not the customer axles) then they install the customer axles before shipping.

Sounds doable to me. You gotta like someone who speaks up and says hey it was me they are complaining about... And this is my side.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark..

I'm the original poster (complainer) but I will admit that Roy's explanation of the "Special Axles" does sound logical to me. Swing axle at the tranny end and IRS at the wheel end. It would be faster for a production shop to install and remove in a car for testing. That would explain why the bearings were dry and one bearing not seated.

I haven't driven the car yet (powder coating engine tin) and I haven't filled the tranny with oil yet.

If it was driven there should be residual oil in the bottom of the tranny. Tomorrow I will pull the drain plugs and see what happens and I will report back to you guys.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

mark40 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

Just my 2 cents.

Mark..

feasible??, but Id love to see this special axle...

we all know you could weld a spade end on to a cv type axle..
My question is, How do you keep the fluid in the trans here?

think about have the axle/tube/boot attach to the swingable transmission...
gotta see a pic and a vid in action to find this plausible...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
mark40 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

Just my 2 cents.

Mark..

feasible??, but Id love to see this special axle...

we all know you could weld a spade end on to a cv type axle..
My question is, How do you keep the fluid in the trans here?

think about have the axle/tube/boot attach to the swingable transmission...
gotta see a pic and a vid in action to find this plausible...

I would guess the easiest way would be something like this. Some older FIATs (and the Yugo) had front half shafts where the inner CV was inside the differential, like the swingaxle Bug. They didn't have an axle tube though, so they had a combo boot/bushing/seal.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

You sure you want to call me a liar on a public forum and challenge what I have been doing for 50 years? I mean, I don't mind people respectfully asking me questions and don't mind people not understanding how I do something but FLAT OUT calling me a liar......I tend to get extremely upset.

Would you like to rephrase your question?

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:
mark40 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

Just my 2 cents.

Mark..

I'm the original poster (complainer) but I will admit that Roy's explanation of the "Special Axles" does sound logical to me. Swing axle at the tranny end and IRS at the wheel end. It would be faster for a production shop to install and remove in a car for testing. That would explain why the bearings were dry and one bearing not seated.

I haven't driven the car yet (powder coating engine tin) and I haven't filled the tranny with oil yet.

If it was driven there should be residual oil in the bottom of the tranny. Tomorrow I will pull the drain plugs and see what happens and I will report back to you guys.

I removed both drain plugs today and nice, clean residual gear oil came out of both drains.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

I'm thinking this thread is becoming a waste of time. You should really take up any issues you have with Roy. He came on here, was extremely polite and offered you help if you need it.
Any rebuilt transmission is a wonder when it's installed because most rebuilders don't test them. Roy told us that several techs take each transmission for a ride before it gets sent out. This is way MORE than you'll ever get with any transmission shop. Those of us that have been doing this for years know and understand this...it's just a matter of doing business.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I'm thinking this thread is becoming a waste of time. You should really take up any issues you have with Roy. He came on here, was extremely polite and offered you help if you need it.
Any rebuilt transmission is a wonder when it's installed because most rebuilders don't test them. Roy told us that several techs take each transmission for a ride before it gets sent out. This is way MORE than you'll ever get with any transmission shop. Those of us that have been doing this for years know and understand this...it's just a matter of doing business.

Hey...I agree that the transmission was driven and tested with modified axles. I do not dispute that. Yesterday in conversation I said I would check to see if there was any residual oil in the tranny and there is.

Also...if you go back and read this thread from the beginning you will see that I never mentioned Roy or Mofoco.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

You sure you want to call me a liar on a public forum and challenge what I have been doing for 50 years? I mean, I don't mind people respectfully asking me questions and don't mind people not understanding how I do something but FLAT OUT calling me a liar......I tend to get extremely upset.

no one is calling you a liar...
just asking to see this "special" axle in action...
I apologize if you took the inquiry offensively.

so how about posting a video.. I'm sure other would like to see it as well..

what keeps the fluid in the trans while your driving it?
what keeps the side gears engaged to the spiders in the diff? the spade end installed with fulcrums? spacer and clip?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Safe bet the test car they use has an IRS pan since that would be the easiest to adapt to installing either type of trans for testing. Chances are quite good the special axles they use for testing a swingaxle trans are basically shortened shafts with tubes, the end with the bearing cap having a typical IRS CV joint attached. It'd be easy enough to install the shortened axle/tube assemblies as normal on a swingaxle trans, the shortened length with CV occupying the same space as one would normally have with an IRS drive flange and axle assembly, and bolt the CV to the IRS outer stub on the trailing arm.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

no one is calling you a liar...
just asking to see this "special" axle in action...
I apologize if you took the inquiry offensively.

so how about posting a video.. I'm sure other would like to see it as well..

what keeps the fluid in the trans while your driving it?
what keeps the side gears engaged to the spiders in the diff? the spade end installed with fulcrums? spacer and clip?

Well, when I post and say what my company does and your response is

"I call BS" What exactly do you think that means?

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anything else you want to "Call BS on" that I do?

www.mofoco.com

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Well, when I post and say what my company does and your response is "I call BS" What exactly do you think that means?

According to the slang and urban dictionaries online, it means to "call someone out on a lie."

I'd guess that if you kept the oil (not "fluid") level low enough for sufficient lubrication, you wouldn't even have to boot the axles.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi Guys!!!

so tell us....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anything else you want to "Call BS on" that I do?

Different....outside the box thinking right there.

I got three questions. How much oil do you put into the tranny to drive it like that? How much oil gets flung out driving it down the block and returning? Do you lose more only driving straight or while doing the u turn?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

thanks.

Last edited by vwinnovator on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Here’s a guy whose livelihood and reputation can be marred by one unsubstantiated claim of BS by someone with unknown intentions. Now everyone is starting to question how his methods work,

I don’t know Roy but why should he have to share his intellectual property with anyone. But he has, so it just shows his integrity to try to keep his good name.

Good on you Roy. I’d buy off you anytime.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: