Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

In winter mode right now, but I picked up an AEM 30-2340 4 channel o2 setup off of fleabay for not a bad price, so I'll get this up and running.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This uses the older Bosch LSU 4.2 sensors, but that seems to be the only ones that they can get backpressure compensation working on.

I'd love to use the CAN interface on it, but AEMNet and MS3's CAN networks are not compatable if you wanna run other can devices on it, so I'll be running this through another TinyIox and use the analog outputs of it.

I'm also going to ditch the muffler and just run a straight dump pipe while I'm at it. More to come!
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Tiny iox is a good idea. I bought an ms3 ultimate for the extra I/0, I currently have a full size I/Ox that I don't want to lose coms with once the 4ch is in place. Did you buy AEMs pressure comp kit too?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
Did you buy AEMs pressure comp kit too?

I've looked into the backpressure kit AEM sells, but as far as I can tell, its just a 0-100psi transducer, 0.5-4.5v linear range, like I can buy off ebay for cheap, so I have one of those I'll give it ago with.

I'll run a length of copper pipe to cool off the exhaust before it hits the transducer.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

so heres my simplified exhaust setup -- my hope is ditching the muffler will help fix some of the uneven-ness I was seeing at light loads. I'm just gonna rattle can them flat black with exhaust paint. Since I'm running the per channel o2 sensors I'm not bothering with one to pick up the average of all 4.

I picked up a CNC table for my plasma cutter -- making my own exhaust flanges was a fun exercise.

Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I'm glad I just stumbled upon this post. Great work! I am in the beginning stages of building my EFI Turbo setup. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for time to time.

My Plan:
56 Oval ragtop

Building the pan up now with airbags and disk brakes on all 4 corners.

Engine Plan:

2118 EFI Turbo

76.3mm Stroke DeMello Crank Chevy journals
94 Mahle forged B pistons and cyl
CB race H beam rods 5.5"
CB wedge port heads, 650 Springs, titanium retainers 67cc 44X37.5
New Alum case worked over, full flow, piston squirters
CB 2250 cam with Ultralight lifters
Straight cut gears
30mm Oil Pump CB
MST pullyies with DubShop crank trigger
DubShop cam sync
MS3 Pro
DubShop 48mm single Throttle body
CB EFI DP end castings, port matched
CB hideaway exhaust
AGP Turbo .48 A/R
54lb/hr injectors EV14
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

The sun finally came out and I got to tear around a bit with the 4 channel EGO.

First off, the simpler exhaust is the way to go, the turbo sounds wicked and also seems to spool faster. Should have done that from the beginning.

I have the per-cylinder trimming turned on, so its yielding some interesting data, I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet other than observe.

Heres a steady state, 3k rpm light throttle:

Note that the EGT's are within a blonde one of each other -- the system has pulled most the fuel in #3, followed by #1. Its adding fuel to #4.

I'm a bit surprised at how uneven they run, but not sure whats normal.

I might play around with the cylinder trim tables, to help out, but I'll just collect more data on it for the moment whenever the suns out.

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

changing things up after two years of tearing around.

switching to a single throttle body cause I got tired of chasing balance issues, vacuum leaks and boost leaks.

the new setup should be simpler, and simpler is easier Smile

using a 50mm throttle body with some of CB's high flow castings.

Mostly mocked up at this point, need a few more pieces of pipe and it should be close to done.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Have you gotten the chance to drive it yet with the single TB? I've been thinking about going to dual TB's from my single because I thought it might help with throttle response. My intake from the TB to the heads is pretty long though and I am also using a 50mm but it's on a fairly stock 1600 with a small turbo.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Have you gotten the chance to drive it yet with the single TB? I've been thinking about going to dual TB's from my single because I thought it might help with throttle response. My intake from the TB to the heads is pretty long though and I am also using a 50mm but it's on a fairly stock 1600 with a small turbo.

I've been tearing around on the new setup all summer long -- definitely an improvement, I'm glad i did it.

It seems to idles much smoother and spool faster (I think from the shorter tubes and less boost leaks). It also solved all my tuning woes where the cylinders were running uneven on idle and cruise. (measuring per cylinder o2 and EGT)

Throttle reponse wise, its almost too touchy -- just the slight changes in TPS from my foot trying to hold a steady position causes the power to feel surge-y at times. I keep messing w/ the TPS accel settings to make it smoother.

Of course when you put your foot in it, its quite an experience Smile
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

That's awesome!! I talked to another guy that said he picked up 50hp going to duals from a single. It is a high hp deal though.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

What TB did you use? I want to try a smaller one.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

its a cheapo 50mm I got off of ebay. Nothing fancy.

The outlet of the turbo is just a hair under 2" , so I made sure to not go any smaller through the whole intake piping.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. This is the exact sort of setup I want to duplicate. I bought some steel Kadron manifolds and plan to add injector bungs, etc to them. I was thinking of routing the inlet runners above the alternator.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I have a 50mm TB too. I hope it works better on the new engine than it did on the 1600. I could make full boost at like 50% throttle before.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the 50mm Jeep TB.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
Dauz wrote:

its a cheapo 50mm I got off of ebay. Nothing fancy.

The outlet of the turbo is just a hair under 2" , so I made sure to not go any smaller through the whole intake piping.

yeah, that's why I asked. My outlet is 2.5" and my TB is 70mm. I should be using a 65mm. But not even sure I'd notice the difference since the intake to my plenums is 2.5"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Drew you don't happen to have a link to that TB do you? I'm going to be changing stuff up a little on mine soon and could use something more compact than the one I have. The one you found looks nice and short.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew......can you explain what these are in your build?

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

panel wrote:
theDrew......can you explain what these are in your build?

those are break out boards I made....work with mini fit jr connectors, very useful for me at least.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

So for the non computer engineer guy like myself.....what are the benefits to those and where does each one go to etc ? Can't make out in the pics but looks like they are labeled ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: