Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cannot Get My '70 into Gear!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Can I pick one up at an Autozone? I'm in a pinch with time...loading her up on a truck on Monday for relocation!!

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-35638.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

A few years back, Oreilly's offered three different brands of cables. I had them get me one of each overnight and kept the one that ended up being the correct length. You might be able to do the same with Autozone.

I then bought a spare of the cable that was the correct length.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

I have like 3 cables sitting here. The problem is I’m in San Diego. You could rig up something fast and temporary if you had the talent. Otherwise I could overnight one to you via UPS
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

google says there is a place called Austin Vee Dub. Did you call them? Take your old cable and check the clevis pin too.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

You are all awesome. Here is my dilemma. I am in Hamburg NY right now and we are moving to TX on Tuesday. I just booked a truck to haul my bus back then this happens with the clutch and I can't get it moving. They want an extra $250 to winch it onto the truck if it doesn't drive and I have til this afternoon to let them know, so they can bring the required equipment. I'm using the same company that is moving all of our household goods. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet here.

zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Bad timing, but don't panic!

You should be able to get that frayed cable adjusted up enough to get your bus onto a truck. It really doesn't have to hold for long.

The first time that happened to me I waited about 90 mins for breakdown to arrive, then gave up and adjusted up the frayed clutch cable and drove the 3 miles home.

Needless to say that was the last time I traveled without a spare
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Order the cable today and it will be at your FLAPS on Monday. Even a first timer should be able to get the new cable installed in a couple of hours, this is assuming lots of problems and a long learning curve.

You could also get a short piece of cable (wire rope) from your local hardware store and four matching cable clamps and just clamp a splice over the broken section.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

zerothehero wrote:
Bad timing, but don't panic!

You should be able to get that frayed cable adjusted up enough to get your bus onto a truck. It really doesn't have to hold for long.

The first time that happened to me I waited about 90 mins for breakdown to arrive, then gave up and adjusted up the frayed clutch cable and drove the 3 miles home.

Needless to say that was the last time I traveled without a spare

Ok this is hopeful!

Do I just need to tighten that Wing Nut?

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

The cable has stretched due to the broken strands. You might be able to tighten the wing nut enough but it won’t last. If the cable breaks it will stay in gear and bad things could happen so be aware of that.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Can you call Dave at Bug City in CT? Call 888-284-2489 He’s nearby and definitely has the part you need: 211721335E

https://bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=Clutch+cable

If not, you could McGiver and use picture wire and wire clamps from the hardware store to get it on and off the trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

I'm going for the McGiver! Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I don't freeze to death. We leave for TX tomorrow. The truck is coming today to pick up the bus.

tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The cable has stretched due to the broken strands. You might be able to tighten the wing nut enough but it won’t last. If the cable breaks it will stay in gear and bad things could happen so be aware of that.

How much slack should be in the cable when you tug on it at the clutch arm?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
aeromech wrote:

How much slack should be in the cable when you tug on it at the clutch arm?

The cable is always under light tension.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Absolutely nailed it all in the nick of time...bus running, and driving...thank you all for the help and advice...much appreciated!!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
Does't look promising:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking at this picture I am guessing that your cable started out too short which caused extra strain at the crimp as the nut didn't want to rotate easily in the hole in the release arm. The proper length cable may be an inch shorter than the present length of your cable.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

As soon as I get a chance I will replace it and get the right cable. Once I patched over the snapped section, I tightened it a little and the bite on the clutch release was pretty immediate, so I don't think it needed tightening too much if at all.

Again, appreciate the help, I am very relieved it is on it way home!

udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

When you do replace the cable be sure and use vice grips to hold it in place when tightening the adjustment wing nut.

I make it a habit to pull my cable just for shits and grins ~ 7 years or so. Just did this 2-3 weeks ago. The cable, clevis pin were in perfect condition after haven been installed (new) in late 2011. I re-greased everything and reinstalled.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: