Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old head
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Old head Reply with quote

I am looking for an old Type 4 head, 2.0. Can be total junk, just want one for measuring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

you could stop buy and we would let you measure one. George Hussey dr914 autoatlanta

3gengines wrote:
I am looking for an old Type 4 head, 2.0. Can be total junk, just want one for measuring.
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

[quote="[email protected]"]you could stop buy and we would let you measure one. George Hussey dr914 autoatlanta

Thank you, I will try and get over there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

Also....bear in mind.....which 2.0 head did you specifically want to measure?

The Porsche 914 2.0 head is unique to the Porsche 914.....its a totally different head CASTING.....than the 2.0 head used on the VW buses.

It has a slightly different combustion chamber size and shape.....but more importantly it has a different valve inlet angle and sparkplug angle and uses different sheet metal because of it. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

I would say that the bus head is actually a 1.8 head, different spark plug angle

raygreenwood wrote:

The Porsche 914 2.0 head is unique to the Porsche 914.....its a totally different head CASTING.....than the 2.0 head used on the VW buses.

It has a slightly different combustion chamber size and shape.....but more importantly it has a different valve inlet angle and sparkplug angle and uses different sheet metal because of it. Ray
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

I am aware that the heads are different. I really want a Bus 2.0 head. Didn't know if someone on this page my have an old one or bad one being used as a door stop or something. I could sent it back when I am done as well. I just don't want to take mine apart before summer driving season. I am using Dynomation 6 software to simulate the 2.0 Bus and the changes I want to make. It is very accurate so far, but I am missing good head data. I would also be more than happy to share what I learn. I know a lot of shops can build me a great Type 4, I just want to enjoy the journey of learning this engine.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I would say that the bus head is actually a 1.8 head, different spark plug angle

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes...it kind of is. While the chamber is not identical in the 1.8 and 2.0 bus heads....they are close.... and the rest of the casting is so close....the bus 2.0 head is really just an upgraded 1.8 head. The 1.8 is 41mm x 34mm versus the 2.0 at 42 x 36mm valves. Ray
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

Yes...it kind of is. While the chamber is not identical in the 1.8 and 2.0 bus heads....they are close.... and the rest of the casting is so close....the bus 2.0 head is really just an upgraded 1.8 head. The 1.8 is 41mm x 34mm versus the 2.0 at 42 x 36mm valves. Ray[/quote]

Thanks Ray, it looks like I am off on valve sizes as well. My information had the valves at 37.5 x 33.
42 x 36 sounds much better. Another reason for me to actually see a head. Looks like a 1.8 head would work for what I am looking for. Although if I flow the head, it will be less.
I will revise my valve dimensions tonight and see what happens.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

3gengines wrote:
Yes...it kind of is. While the chamber is not identical in the 1.8 and 2.0 bus heads....they are close.... and the rest of the casting is so close....the bus 2.0 head is really just an upgraded 1.8 head. The 1.8 is 41mm x 34mm versus the 2.0 at 42 x 36mm valves. Ray

Thanks Ray, it looks like I am off on valve sizes as well. My information had the valves at 37.5 x 33.
42 x 36 sounds much better. Another reason for me to actually see a head. Looks like a 1.8 head would work for what I am looking for. Although if I flow the head, it will be less.
I will revise my valve dimensions tonight and see what happens.[/quote]

You might get a lot of information if you tell us what you need to find out and why.

Also let me check the numbers nust tii be absolutely sure. My valve sizes on the 1.8 are correct.....and those almost always run better just by moving to 42 x 36. And....I can get excellent valves in 42 x 36.....because several top notch mcgs have a part number just for the 2.0 valves (Manley and Intervalve are two).

Those part numbers are for 2.0 Porsche 914 valves...42 x 36.
The bus 2.0....I have to check the book. I just got off a plane so give me a day.

Bus 1.8 heads can be made into bus 2.0 heads in the blink of an eye with new seats, valves anx a flycut for larger cylinders (depending on what cylinders are used).

The thing to remember here is that ALL used and unknown type 4 heads REQUIRE new seats. So when you do that.....it costs nothing extra to change valve sizes up or down. Ray
3gengines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Old head Reply with quote

I have a Bus 2.0 in a Buggy. I have a dyno simulation program, Dynomation 6 that is pretty accurate and I want to simulate the engine before any changes are made. I am looking for cylinder head information. I need the square inches of the smallest part of the intake port, any actual flow data that may be available for a stock head, combustion chamber CCs & valve sizes. I have found a bit on the net, I am actually really close on the sim. I plan to run through this summer and rebuild / upgrade next winter. I have all summer to run the numbers. I know Jake Raby or AA Performance heads are the best option, but I have all of capabilities of machining the heads myself, so why not? Sometimes it is the journey that makes it fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: