Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Man rant
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Wipers on = lights on

Slow down when it is snowing.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

^ That's just common sense.. .. that's a whole n'other rant.

TDCTDI wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Lets throw Police cars into the amazingly bright light section?

Reds, Blues, Whites all randomly flashing with no defined beam direction.
Can't see the darn police car let alone the officer standing in front of me that I'd rather NOT run over!!!

These things need a daytime/night time brightness setting!

They probably don't know they can't be seen, I appreciate them wanting me to see their car, but come on people! You have vanished in an amazing array if lights!
You're making a bad situation 10 times worse!

Dave

I have actually stopped & told officers that were directing traffic that they were not visible at all with all the lights on their cars going.

True^

Lets see the defense outcome of an officer being mowed down while directing traffic due to their own lights being too bright..
100-1 odds the driver will still get vehicular manslaughter due to the fact they are supposed to very aware during such a situation. If you cant see the officer.. then you should not proceed.

Agreed.. the blues and whites are too bright.. The reds does not bother me quite as much.. maybe because it is the most night friendly color.. but if overly bright they still are kind of hard to avoid.

Some of these new street lights and signals are getting bad too..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Some states have a "move over for cops on the side of the highway" law, in Vt. they do "Sting" stops, cops w/ a unmarked cruiser "pulled over", if you don't move left they pull you over & ticket you.
Bright lights in my rear view, I just go slower & slower until the pass me.......

Oh yea, and, GET OFF MY LAW !!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

I feel like many of the people are quite proud of their lights. A guy I work with bought a brand new Jeep, they already have bright ass lights... first thing he did was replace the head lights and fog lights with the brightest ones he found available for it.... he admitingly gets a kick outta blinding the hell out of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Theres a bit of a Snorkelstang thing going on there...

Quote:

I've seen people call new police cars Christmas trees Laughing I like the old stuff myself, think CHiPs and Adam-12. Michigan has it right though for being able to be seen but not blind you-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Can't see the darn police car let alone the officer standing in front of me that I'd rather NOT run over!!!

They probably don't know they can't be seen, I appreciate them wanting me to see their car, but come on people! You have vanished in an amazing array if lights!

Dave

Right on the money here! Those lights are the absolute worse!

I followed a highway tractor/trailer this morning that was lit up like Candy Lane road on December 25th. Just the rear of the trailer had 27 super bright LEDs. There was no way to see past him to check for oncoming traffic to get around him and when he hit the brakes to turn off I almost missed it in the glare!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I feel like many of the people are quite proud of their lights. A guy I work with bought a brand new Jeep, they already have bright ass lights... first thing he did was replace the head lights and fog lights with the brightest ones he found available for it.... he admitingly gets a kick outta blinding the hell out of people.

Those are the guys that deserve a coffee can full of ball bearings out the window just before you get to them!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
oprn wrote:
Then there is those new Ford trucks that have 4 lights on even on dim.

x2 on the new Ford trucks. There should be a recall on those to have the lights fixed (back to 2).

Yes!

On the other end of the scale - what's with these new Dodges were the one headlight goes out when you turn the signal lights on? The last thing you need to happen when approaching a turn is have the headlight on that side go out. Now how do you see what's around the corner that you are about to drive into?

What a harebrained idea!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

These damned young whipper snappers and their bright lights. Back in my day we had acetylene head lamps so we couldn’t see worth a damn and by God we liked it. Very Happy The next peckerwood I catch with a bright light gets a Dutch rub by crackity. Where’s my false teeth?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Back in my day we had acetylene head lamps so we couldn’t see worth a damn and by God we liked it. Very Happy

And your ol' flivver topped out at 45mph going downhill with a stiff wind at your back. Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

A work mate of mine gave me a pair of yellow tinted sun glasses to use for the bright lights at night. They did make a difference too.

Now... where did I put them...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I believe we are expected to slow to a walking pace when the red-n-blinkies are on. That way there is time to see the occifer before he is run over.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

I thought police officers/law enforcement had blue lights.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

Can be either blue or red.. .. or both.. (but not purple.. Laughing)

In reality... its more a state to state discretion of the choice.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:

Can be either blue or red.. .. or both.. (but not purple.. Laughing)

In reality... its more a state to state discretion of the choice.

Yes it varies, here they use red and blue strobes and super bright spotlights, tow trucks use blue and yellow, paramedics and firefighters use red. So when you see red, blue and white you know it’s Barney Fife and his compadres. Couple of years ago wife and I got into field sobriety checkpoint. This is bullshit without probable cause and a violation of rights. Dammit off topic now, sorry.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

I get the blue and red. Just wasn't aware that they could have only red. Guess I haven't noticed any red only law enforcement in other states. You learn something new everyday.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

I dont like the blue or the red flashing lights behind me...or beside me either.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware we've just blue lights here for all emergency services - ambulance, fire brigade, police. What's the whole multi-light chaos for - is it patriotism ie. the colours of the US flag? It's a blue flashing light here, get to the side. Yellow/orange on warning vehicles - tractors, wide loads, road services, heavy towing etc. I don't think any other colour light is allowed on a moving vehicle here.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Topic is in regards to new lighting intensity.. not color.. and not just law enforcement and emergency..

Main rant = some HEADLAMPS are too bright..

Usually and often edited
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Man rant Reply with quote

Yes they most certainly are!

But it is being pointed out the other lights are too bright as well. Recently several cities here have banned roadside advertising trailers and electronic billboards for the same reason. You just can't see past the ones that are close to the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: