Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 1957 single cab
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Well I just got home with my new 1957 Single cab !!! So excited to get started on it . Two questions I want to drive this truck so will keep up with traffic what changes will I need to do to put in non gear reducing trans . I need to reassemble the bed area is there a good reference post on the bed rebuild ? Looks like I have most or all of needed sheet metal needed except outer bed sides for wheel wells and skins
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

i would start looking for user glideking and his thread on rebuilding his 59 single cab "Funky Truck"

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Cool thanks just got it back tonight from getting it . 1600 mile round trip but so happy right now will
Look for post tomorrow Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

here is a teaser:

Link

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

there is absolutely ZERO reason you can't drive the bus daily on any road with a stock reduction box transaxle. Many of us do it day in and day out for thousands of miles.

if you want to LOWER but the bus, then yeah, get a 'straight axle' trans.

we can give you proper advice for set up either way you want to go.
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Would the truck go over 60 mph? With a bigger motor and I will Not be lowering it only Change from stock will be engine . Stock motor was not with truck when I got it . I want to drive this a lot so will give it a bigger motor
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Kurt does beautiful work. I put a new bed surface on my truck. I used 3m panel glue. So good so far. Have fun!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

jeffros 58 wrote:
Would the truck go over 60 mph?

Mine will. 1600 dual port. Big nut transmission with stock ratios.

It'll happily run at 65. It'll do 70+, but at those sorts of speeds it screams. It sounds happiest in the 60-65 range. If I were regularly driving at 70+, I'd want disk brakes for reassurance.

I find the RGBs are also helpful for town driving. It takes less effort to get the truck rolling, so with a bigger engine it's pretty quick off the line (useful at busy junctions and roundabouts).

If I have no weight in the bed I have to take care not to overdo it when turning across traffic, as the torque will easily spin a wheel and it can 'hop', particularly if the road is damp.

Also; run a vacuum-advance distributor. A bigger engine with RGBs is pretty flexible and doesn't need to run at high revs all the time. Switching from a 009 mechanical-advance distributor to an 043 SVDA made mine much more relaxing to drive, expecially in traffic.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

jeffros 58 wrote:
Would the truck go over 60 mph? With a bigger motor and I will Not be lowering it only Change from stock will be engine . Stock motor was not with truck when I got it . I want to drive this a lot so will give it a bigger motor

With a big enough engine it will, but do not expect great MPG or long engine life running high RPMs to do so.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

How about some pics?

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

will get some pics posted tonight . but in the meantime I need some dimensions for the floor supports inside treasure chest area . all the cross braces and out riggers have been removed and two or three outriggers have been replaced with new . I would like to know if there is a post or tread that shows measurements for all the cross braces in cargo area . not the bed . this will allow me to start to replace the vertical supports for bed . there are some temporary angle welded in now from previous owner . thanks guys . this is a whole new ball game for me I have a 1958 type 1 never was around a truck till now . been a dream of mine for 25 plus years !!!!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

jeffros 58 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can hold 65 comfortably. It has a tunnel case trans out of a 61 and a 1600DP mystery motor out of a 74. If I am doing a long stretch of highway driving I just find a tractor trailer going a comfortable speed, sit on his wheel and let them do the hard work.

Engine, trans gearing and tire size will all play into top speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Cool I was thinking I would have to put a new trans in and a big motor . I’m still going to build a bigger motor and just rebuild trans I have
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of her when I brought her home Saturday 😎
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

jeffros 58 wrote:

Here are a few shots of her when I brought her home Saturday 😎

Same, if not better condition than '59 SC when I brought it home. A good project for sure. Keep us up to date...and the mob likes pictures.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

I think that was on Vermont. CL for a few years.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1957 single cab Reply with quote

Ya I got it from Vermont and brought it back to Michigan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: