Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring a 60 Ghia??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

I just picked up a 60 Ghia and need to rewire it completely but can't seem to find any 60 Ghia wiring kits.

Any suggestions??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Call Wiring Works and ask them. It's their looms that most sell.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
I just picked up a 60 Ghia and need to rewire it completely but can't seem to find any 60 Ghia wiring kits.

Any suggestions??

If I knew then what I know now I would never have re-installed my Ghia's original wiring. I would do what Darrel did: Install a modern and tidy wiring loom. Cheaper, and more reliable.

Unless you line the crow's nest original look. Which is what I have. Nearly burnt my car out due to a short. But that's another story.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Any suggestions??

If I knew then what I know now I would never have re-installed my Ghia's original wiring. I would do what Darrel did: Install a modern and tidy wiring loom. Cheaper, and more reliable.

What modern and tidy wiring loom options do I have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Don't throw away your old harness until you have the new one installed. Had the same issue as Kiwighia68. Fried a wire trying to figure out my wiper wiring... Luckily still had the wire from my original harness as a replacement.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Any suggestions??

I'm sure Darrel will provide you with a few links. You have more than one option in the US but I'm 15 time zones away and we have NO choices down here.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Any suggestions??

I'm sure Darrel will provide you with a few links. You have more than one option in the US but I'm 15 time zones away and we have NO choices down here.

I would like to chat w this Darrel guy, how do I connect with him?

Thank you!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Any suggestions??

I would like to chat w this Darrel guy, how do I connect with him?

Thank you!

Darrel is my Go-to Ghia guy and this is his own Ghia link on theSamba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481184

Send him a PM.

There are photos on his thread showing his wiring set-up, by the way, but I'm not clever enough to find them, so I can't help you there.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Just a suggestion to avoid burning out wiring during the assembly stage. Remove the battery by unplugging the B+ wire at the regulator. Then, connect a battery charger there instead. That will provide enough voltage and adequate current so that just about everything will work, excepting the horns and starter motor. If you wire things incorrectly there isn't anywhere near as much power available from a battery that can melt things and cause havoc. Build and test as you go until you are sure it all passes muster before finally re-connecting the Battery at the end of the job.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Just a suggestion to avoid burning out wiring during the assembly stage. Remove the battery by unplugging the B+ wire at the regulator. Then, connect a battery charger there instead. That will provide enough voltage and adequate current so that just about everything will work, excepting the horns and starter motor. If you wire things incorrectly there isn't anywhere near as much power available from a battery that can melt things and cause havoc. Build and test as you go until you are sure it all passes muster before finally re-connecting the Battery at the end of the job.

Nicholas

Good idea, thank you!!
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

If you find someone providing a new (quality) harness conform to original for a 60 model, please share the link! 60 is a really specific year and until now, I did not find any supplier for the harness..

Antoine
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
If you find someone providing a new (quality) harness conform to original for a 60 model, please share the link! 60 is a really specific year and until now, I did not find any supplier for the harness..

Antoine

I sure will but can't help to wonder what the difference is between the other models? What is so specific about the 60? Seems like one could take a 61 and do the same??

Any thoughts?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Wiring kinda depends on what type of restoration you plan on.
If building stock, pretty much need to use a stock wiring harness. Call Bob Nodvik in Pedro. 310.519.8147. Hes getting older and these wont be around forever.
If more of a Resto-mod there are plenty of aftermarket wire harness available. Off the top of my head...Rebel, American Autowiring,...I have a Watsons wiring Kit. Info in my build thread.
Looks like they are selling Rebel now.
https://watsons-streetworks.com/product-category/wiring/wiring-kits/page/2/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
If building stock, pretty much need to use a stock wiring harness. Call Bob Nodvik in Pedro. 310.519.8147. Hes getting older and these wont be around forever.
If more of a Resto-mod there are plenty of aftermarket wire harness available. Off the top of my head...Rebel, American Autowiring,...I have a Watsons wiring Kit. Info in my build thread.

Personally when it comes to wiring I don't care if its stock or restomod as long as it works and is reliable. However I do like the clean look of less spiderweb wiring. I'll call Pedro and chat it up and also look at the other suggested options.

Thank you
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Personally when it comes to wiring I don't care if its stock or restomod as long as it works and is reliable. However I do like the clean look of less spiderweb wiring. I'll call Pedro and chat it up and also look at the other suggested options.

Thank you

"Bob" lives in SAN Pedro CA. Sorry for the confusion. Good Luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

I put a Wiring Works harness in my 60 beetle.I spoke to the man who makes them,he asked"screw terminals?" and a few other things I hadn't thought about.When it came it was flawless;I would never buy anything else.The harness for my 64 Ghia was in nice shape,so it went back in,but first I cleaned the terminals really well and put a tiny solder joint across the connectors,bypassing the crimp joints that have too much resistance due to age/corrosion.We did the same thing on the tail light bulb holders,getting past the grungy rivets.Works good!I have lights!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Not sure yet but probably gonna end up using the 61-65 Ghia harness and modify/make up whatever needed along the way lol
herndog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

bob in pedro will make you a 60 harness for arounf $600,i just talked to him last week about a harness for my 60
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Well, please dont' be haters but as much as I love Bob at Wiring Works and his work is top notch, $600 it just to much for me Sad

I thought about going w/the 63 wiring kit but when it was all said and done, I'm using the EMPI 9466 Wiring Kit for $60 and so far it super simple, wires just about everything needed except the interior light which is simple to just add a wire to the provided fuse box and I had to extend the length of some of the wires that were a tad short.

So when it's all said and done, I'm into the Empi kit for about $75

PS: Please don't hate me for going rouge Laughing
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 60 Ghia?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Well, please dont' be haters but as much as I love Bob at Wiring Works and his work is top notch, $600 it just to much for me Sad

I thought about going w/the 63 wiring kit but when it was all said and done, I'm using the EMPI 9466 Wiring Kit for $60 and so far it super simple, wires just about everything needed except the interior light which is simple to just add a wire to the provided fuse box and I had to extend the length of some of the wires that were a tad short.

So when it's all said and done, I'm into the Empi kit for about $75

PS: Please don't hate me for going rouge
Laughing

I hate to burst your rebel bubble, but ...

... feeling that the $600 "top notch" reproduction part is just too expensive and proving you're a cheapskate by half-assing the job with a discount part is not "rouge" behavior for a vintage VW owner - why, it's practically de rigueur! Very Happy

Wink

Just kidding.

If your own time really is worth nothing, then any extra time spent trying to cobble in some generic wiring kit won't really count toward the total cost of the job.
As far as any future hit in overall resale value that your Ghia may suffer because its wiring isn't "stock", well that will only come in to play if you actually ever sell it.

Laughing

Seriously, ... just kidding.
Whatever you do to your own Karmann Ghia is your own business, and if it helps to get it back on the road so that you can enjoy it on a regular basis then all the better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: