Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I have the Whiteline rack mount bushings in my Syncro since 2016 and lots of miles. Big bang for the bug improvement over worn stock ones. Not difficult to install either.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Dumb question maybe but the rack can be unbolted and bushing access while van is on the ground it appears? No need to jack?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Yeah I'm pretty sure the job can be done on the ground.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I'm currently re-building my front end an I had been on the fence about buying the Burley UCA's and after seeing your pics I ordered a pair. Of course they serve a functional purpose but MAN they look COOL! Oh and nice work in there, well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I'm currently re-building my front end an I had been on the fence about buying the Burley UCA's and after seeing your pics I ordered a pair. Of course they serve a functional purpose but MAN they look COOL! Oh and nice work in there, well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:

Thank you! People definitely see those upper arms and know something is going on. It's nice they have a zerk fitting so no more squeaky noise! Given the price of good upper control arm bushings, I think they were a good choice.

Good luck with your suspension rebuild!
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Brandon what’s your repot on those Fox shocks? Have you spent much time on gravel roads with them? Played with the comp/rebound adjustments much?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:
Brandon what’s your repot on those Fox shocks? Have you spent much time on gravel roads with them? Played with the comp/rebound adjustments much?

I'm pretty sure the 2wd units are not adjustable/or preset via GoWesty/fox. The syncro's fronts are adjustable.

Around town, it is a stiffer ride for sure. But offroad, oh man these things shine!

I absolutely love them. It was amazing the first time I 'loaded' the van down the first time with gear and friends. Specifically I had two friends 500lbs combined, with a weekend worth of gear, and a full water tank.

I really couldn't even tell a difference. They love being loaded down. My only complaint/problem with the whole suspension rebuild is that the front seems really spongy. I don't know if its the shocks or springs - but if I am coming to a stop, I can pump the brakes in rhythm to get the bounce the front end. Not literally of the ground. It looks funny and I embarrass my friends when I come to a stop doing that. So maybe I should look at it like a feature.

Not to this extent, but I'm trying to do this Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I think E1 would chime in on how much he loves the GW springs.

maybe try the schwenks if those gw start sagging.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
True dat.

Schwenks Rule.

Schwenks were my first choice - but I wanted a lift. Why can't Schwenk make some 1.5" or 2" lift springs?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Brandon, you have witnessed the Pogo effect I've raged about. Welcome. Wink

I do like what you've done to your van, hadn't noticed you painted it blue. Do not cook when engaging the new feature you've illustrated above. Think I'd close the roof, too.

If you're not getting saggy or bottoming, keep 'em. Agree in wanting lifter Schwenks, will try spacers next.

Elizer, you know me too well. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

I'm also inspired to refresh my suspension. I added Schwenks last year but onto 12 year old regular HD bilsteins. So now I'm interested in either the XHD Bilis or the Fox setup. What was your conclusion about the XHDs over the Fox at nearly double? I'd love to talk myself into Fox but realistically, until I add a Peloquin, this thins is 90% street. Oh and thanks for the tip on Moog upper ball joints. On order!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
I'm also inspired to refresh my suspension. I added Schwenks last year but onto 12 year old regular HD bilsteins. So now I'm interested in either the XHD Bilis or the Fox setup. What was your conclusion about the XHDs over the Fox at nearly double? I'd love to talk myself into Fox but realistically, until I add a Peloquin, this thins is 90% street. Oh and thanks for the tip on Moog upper ball joints. On order!

Chris at T3 technique informed me about the Moog Uppers.

I honestly did consider the XHD's at first to keep costs down. However, I looked at the Fox shocks having more potential with the extra rear piggy-back oil reservoirs. The fact that the Fox Shocks are rebuildable is a plus. Granted - the XHD's have a lifetime warranty.

My friend let me drive his Westy that had broke in fox shocks. That was really the selling factor.

They were a pretty penny, but I'm glad I bought them. They deserved the waxing they got before installed Laughing (This is actually recommended in the manual)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Also wanted to say - I'm continuing the work on this thread soon. I'm going to clean up the rear trailing arm and the rust in the rear fender wells. I was too eager to use the van last spring to do this.
ernestochilin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2wd Suspension Overhaul Fox, GW 1.5" Lift, Burley UCA, Powerflex Reply with quote

Great job, and thanks for posting all the photos, I'm upgrading my front brakes with toyota 4runners 6cyl. calipers/pads and jetta 2016 sport jetta rotors, will post some pictures once i am done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: