Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Relief or Dual Relief
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Single Relief or Dual Relief Reply with quote

I have never rebuilt a motor in my life. I have gotten the books and the bug me video on how to rebuild a type 1 motor.

I would like to attempt to build a motor but obviously I lack the machining tools to do a complete rebuild myself. With that said most parts will be purchased or sent out for machine work.

I have two motors (if the cases are in decent shape) to choose from. A 1500 "H" case from a '67 that was most likely rebuilt at one time to accommodate 85.5 p&c to make it a 1600. I say that because the heads are Brazilian 1600 heads. I guess it could still be 83mm pistons in there but I haven't measured them yet. The other case is a 1600 B6 out of a rotted '70 vert.

I believe the B6 case is a dual relief and the H case is not?
Assuming these two cases are in decent shape what are the pros and cons of Dual vs Single relief and which one should I focus on rebuilding?

Thanks

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Relief or Dual Relief Reply with quote

whichever one isn't trash would be worth building.

Short answer without explaining much is that dual relief is "better"

Here are things to read to answer any question you will have
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280293
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542838

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Relief or Dual Relief Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
I have never rebuilt a motor in my life. I have gotten the books and the bug me video on how to rebuild a type 1 motor.

I would like to attempt to build a motor but obviously I lack the machining tools to do a complete rebuild myself. With that said most parts will be purchased or sent out for machine work.

I have two motors (if the cases are in decent shape) to choose from. A 1500 "H" case from a '67 that was most likely rebuilt at one time to accommodate 85.5 p&c to make it a 1600. I say that because the heads are Brazilian 1600 heads. I guess it could still be 83mm pistons in there but I haven't measured them yet. The other case is a 1600 B6 out of a rotted '70 vert.

I believe the B6 case is a dual relief and the H case is not?
Assuming these two cases are in decent shape what are the pros and cons of Dual vs Single relief and which one should I focus on rebuilding?

Thanks

You need to factor in everything like align bore, thrust, does it have head stud inserts, drain plate area rot, etc. All things being equal, use the dual relief.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Relief or Dual Relief Reply with quote

I'd use the 1970 B engine, it's dual relief and larger oil cooler passages, unless inspection showed the other to be more worthy.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: