Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
OK -Aluminum "nose" is from Passat, motor from the ABA. But the Solenoid is from the Passat starter-correct?

I don't think it matters. I used the Passat solenoid because it was cleaner and newer than the one on the ABA/Jetta starter I was using, but both seemed to fit just fine...
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
Starter info is now completed, check it out.
Andrew-

OK -Aluminum "nose" is from Passat, motor from the ABA. But the Solenoid is from the Passat starter-correct?

Think it's worth building one up to have a ready spare - at least to carry on long trips?

Tristessa is correct, you can use either solenoid. They are the same except the ABA one has a clip on spade terminal for the trigger wire.
It wouldn't hurt to assemble a spare one before hand and stow it in the van. Being that it's a manual and can be pop started, I'm comfortable traveling without one as a spare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

check it out guys, the wire harness mods are up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I made an update to the cam section so to include the modification needed for the cam position sensor, check it out.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I can't thank you enough for sharing!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I'm not there technically, but I can appreciate the info shared. Thanks.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

You're welcome guys, Hopefully we'll be seeing more of these being put together.

what is posted is pretty much all the info needed to make the engine run counter clockwise. The rest is done like any other conversion- get the engine/transmission situated in place, fab up a engine mont bar and transmission mount, wire it, plump it, configure the shifter, de-bug it, enjoy it!

When used in a Syncro with a Quattro transmission, this engine will fit under the engine lid without raising it at all. For the 2wd, we raise the lid 2". When used in 2wd Westfalia, we raise the lid 2" and also move the lid toward the passenger side of the van so you can lift it right up without sliding it from under the cabinets.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I'm almost sorry to post here with no content except appreciation -- but then I'm not sure any amount of appreciation could be excessive.

I am pretty well committed to diesel and have never thought that any of this information would be personally useful, but I enjoyed the original thread. And THIS thread is one of the most generous I've ever seen here -- both in terms of the content and the spirit (given that, after all the work that went into sorting this, you could have monopolized the process).

You deserve all sorts of good juju from the mechanic gods.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
..... Hopefully we'll be seeing more of these being put together.

If I had a reliable long term work space I'd totally be into trying this swap. Maybe it's the "nerd" in me but I think it's very cool and would totally be into providing whatever R&D input I could.

I find the timing belt use quite interesting (teeth over roller, backside over coolant pump gear) but I bet that's been discussed in the build thread.

Thanks again Andrew!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I find the timing belt use quite interesting (teeth over roller, backside over coolant pump gear)

I'd pondered that for a while after getting some sneak-preview pics from Andrew -- pretty much what I expected from my own mental problem-solving of the late 1.8T reversal, but I was envisioning a double-sided timing belt (teeth on both sides).

Worst case I can see is if the backside of the belt slips a bit on the pump, there'll be a slight loss of coolant flow. Not ideal, but not a critical problem like a loss of oil pump pressure would be. There might be some accelerated wear on the backside of the belt, but we're all performing our timing belt replacement at 60,000 miles/100,000 km anyway, right? Laughing
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

As others have said, this is an extremely generous display of selfless charitable distribution of genius and dogged pursuit of innovation. Way way cool Andrew.

The next level would be if someone with the resources for mass fab production and distribution could manufacture the hardware bits, like the oil pump bracket, pulley stand-offs and trans mount, etc. Other than the wiring work, those bits seem to be the only major items standing in the way of more advanced DIY types or even shops from getting these drivetrains into more vans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
I find the timing belt use quite interesting (teeth over roller, backside over coolant pump gear)

I'd pondered that for a while after getting some sneak-preview pics from Andrew -- pretty much what I expected from my own mental problem-solving of the late 1.8T reversal, but I was envisioning a double-sided timing belt (teeth on both sides).

Worst case I can see is if the backside of the belt slips a bit on the pump, there'll be a slight loss of coolant flow. Not ideal, but not a critical problem like a loss of oil pump pressure would be. There might be some accelerated wear on the backside of the belt, but we're all performing our timing belt replacement at 60,000 miles/100,000 km anyway, right? Laughing

No doubt!

Ya I had a look at the original build thread and was reminded a bit about the overall belt evolution from AEB to later style 'in block' coolant pump engine.

From what little I've seen, the coolant pump gears are certainly not sharp and as originally applied, are designed not to punch through the belt valleys. But then the belt obviously sees more surface contact to pulley than than just valley to tooth.

Assuming the tensioner does its' job I'd guess the ~ 1/2 moon contact patch should be fine over the long term; it's not like the coolant pump would see a huge load per se Question I'd guess the short distance from roller to pump gear to roller helps keep belt tension to gear teeth. And for lack of better terminology, the curve (radius?) at each roller relative to belt teeth don't look too tight. i.e. the teeth likely won't malform as they pass over that curve or when engine is at rest.

But I'm just a hack with too much time on his hands and I'm sure Andrew has considered all those points. Wink

Shade tree arm chair critic,

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
When used in a Syncro with a Quattro transmission, this engine will fit under the engine lid without raising it at all. For the 2wd, we raise the lid 2". When used in 2wd Westfalia, we raise the lid 2" and also move the lid toward the passenger side of the van so you can lift it right up without sliding it from under the cabinets.

2WD picture here [img]
[/img]
I'll try and take a better pic and post it in the near future.
(Note: this picture has funky lighting making the frame look like raw steel. It is, in fact, nicely painter gray and fabricated perfectly.)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Must be a Seahawks fan...

y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Must be a Seahawks fan...

Don't even joke about that with a Massachusetts person so close to the SuperBowl... Laughing
I didn't pick the color...it's starting to grow on me, but I don't really open the lid very often.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Wink wink, nudge nudge...your secret is safe with me

y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Shade tree arm chair critic,

Neil.

before I say anything this isn't a dig on Andrew. he's a great guy and I have dealt with him in the past. I have nothing bad to say about him.

now that that's out of the way....I would have that w/p on the mill and make the teeth go away. I think I would also have the second idler made to have teeth. belts are not made to run that way and I could 100% see some accelerated wear.

having done timing belts on engines north of 50k in cost, I am a bit of a worrier. that said, those itty bitty rollers are suspect on a good day...on VAG cars those are usually the raspiest, lumpiest rolling item in the belt drive assy and would probably fail first before taking the belt with it.

the garaf/geba pumps have enough meat on them to mill the teeth off. FWIW the Subaru uses a smooth pulley to drive their water pumps, so slippage shouldn't be a concern

beyond that, Andrew is the man. I am sure he's thought of these items but cost is a concern.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Zuhandenheit- Thanks for the comments! You mention the Tdi, the ALH uses the identical oil pump as this engine I showed. I had started reversing a TDi, I am sure I can do it, just don't know if I'll ever be able to find the time to finish it.

Zeit', 'Nut, and 'Tessa- I know that belt just looks wrong runnning on the wrong side of the rollers and water pump but it works. There are no signs of wear on the back side of the belt. I originally thought of putting the water pump in my lathe and cutting the teeth off it to make a smooth pulley but decided to try it as-is. I like the idea that it is not a custom made pulley, you can pick one up at any auto part store. This was always my goal in making these engines, to do it with as few custom made parts as possible.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Zuhandenheit- Thanks for the comments! You mention the Tdi, the ALH uses the identical oil pump as this engine I showed. I had started reversing a TDi, I am sure I can do it, just don't know if I'll ever be able to find the time to finish it.

Dibs on one if you do!
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Zuhandenheit-

Zeit', 'Nut, and 'Tessa- ..... I like the idea that it is not a custom made pulley, you can pick one up at any auto part store. This was always my goal in making these engines, to do it with as few custom made parts as possible.

For sure. I totally get that. And I can't imagine just how much thought you had to put into the mix and match of VW parts to do what you did. (or maybe it was just totally easy for you. Wink ) And making something that would be a press fit over the coolant pump wheel gear would be a real PITA, were it even "feasible".

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: