Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkitesurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

I am lurking this rich resource of knowledge while I am rebuilding my type 4. It is split and all apart. I read here about drilling and threading the oil gallery to replace the plugs while it is apart. Sounds smart....but what plugs are we talking about and where are they located.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

Some helpful links here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608894&highlight=gallery+plugs

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

They are caps peened over the drillings in the case that deliver oil everywhere.
There are some at the main seal end, some near the oil pump mount,
and two tiny ones at the end of the oil cooler flange,
After twenty years/120,000 heat cycles they can blowout or begin to seep.
This leads to an oiled clutch disc,lost oil & oil pressure & a Bad Day When It
Happens. Threaded aluminum plugs are one way to avoid that Bad Day.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

threaded steel. You'll never get threaded aluminum ones out again if you need to. They gall.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
threaded steel. You'll never get threaded aluminum ones out again if you need to. They gall.

Agreed, the steel plugs work just fine, are cheaper, and are easier to find. I know of no down side to using them.
kingkitesurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

So where are they located... I have the engine in pieces here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

I know there is a good thread on this on the Type4um at Shoptalkforums.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

I know there is a good thread on this on the Type4um at Shoptalkforums. IIRC, there are 11 different plugs in three different sizes: 1/8. 1/4 and 3/8" NPT.
kingkitesurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

So? Do the experts here suggest to extract and replace all those 11 plugs for threaded ones... that is a massive job with significant risk.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

It takes three drill bits and three taps all of the correct sizes. I ground the shanks on my drill bits so I could turn them in slowly using a large tee handle the same as used for the taps. The three largest ones behind the flywheel are the most likely to blow, but doing them all give peace of mind and allows you to flush out the oil galleys more effectively.

As I said above there are some very good articles on the Type 4rum at Shoptalkforums.com about doing this.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

Image #1: two right of cam plug, plus the one on the lower left is welded up.
Image #2:can't be seen in the image but they are at the end of the oil cooler
mounting 'ear' & they are tiny.
Image #3: two at the left, by the oil filter mount mounting pad.
Image #4: none, but if it were a dual-carbed engine case, you would want to
at least keep the fuel pump rod in the case to maintain proper oil
pressure/delivery, even when not running the factory mount pump.
The reason for the welded one is the allen plug tends to partly block oil flow,
so some shops weld it closed instead. (at least that's what I recall)
Also, some have had the plug near the oil filler/dipstick mount work loose,
I've never experienced it but it happened to someone, somewhere. FWIW.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Image #1: two right of cam plug, plus the one on the lower left is welded up.

The one to the left is handled differently on an engine that is prepped for carburetors and thus set up for a mechanical fuel pump. On a block originally intended up for fuel injection it is handled the same as any other plug. I don't think there is any reason to weld it in unless you messed with it when you shouldn't have.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil gallery threaded instead of plugged what does that mean? Reply with quote

I have not needed or used drll bits for any of the galley plugs in ages.

Use a dremel tool, a carbide burr (where needed) and 1/4" sanding drums for the rest. It allows you to work up to what is needed for the ground off tap fit without worrying about the drull bit hanging up, bottoming out or doing damage.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: